TForce | How is life at upsf?

Without giving out my exact location, I will say I work in the Chicago area where there is 2 locals working in one barn. 705covers all city drivers and 710 covers all road and dock workers, therefore, yes they can.
We have three seniority lists, (city, dock and road) and city drivers don't work the dock.

loopy105,
I know which terminal your out of I am close to you. But, getting back to the subject at hand. If a road driver run is cut, and he has more company senority then the bottom city driver, he can not bump. Because your been represented by two different locals, that driver is not allowed to bump to the city board. What about Article 5 Section 2 "The Right To Bump"?:whistling:

loopy105,
I know which terminal your out of I am close to you. But, getting back to the subject at hand. If a road driver run is cut, and he has more company senority then the bottom city driver, he can not bump. Because your been represented by two different locals, that driver is not allowed to bump to the city board. What about Article 5 Section 2 "The Right To Bump"?:whistling:

You almost answered your own question, we are represented by two differant locals. Yes a road driver IS offered work before layoff, he is offered dock work, he can turn it down or take it. But cannot work city, well he can, but there could be a greivence filed by a city driver.

Besides, there is no road driver's runs that are currently cut, frieght levels are down and we have a couple road drivers on a layoff. They decided they don't want to work the dock, so they are offerd work. Even though they are capable and qualified to work city, they can't bump cuz it's a different local.:grinning-smiley-021

Let me correct myself, freight are down for road drivers, they have found ways to cut freight for the road by means of contract carriers. and better planning on what lanes the freight goes on. I don't know how cuz I'm not a road driver, and I don't know how the company is getting away with contract carriers.

710=:showoff: 705=::shit::

First of all, why would you say that about a fellow teamster? And second, do you really want to go there?
How much do you have in YOUR strike fund? $20-$30 grand?

Do you know how much is in 705 strike fund? $3.5 million.
Now who is the ":showoff:" and who is the "::shit::"

And as soon as you figure out what makes a local "strong", then we'll talk.

the company says "NO" the union says "alrighty then" "okie dokie" have a nice day ........i see it happen everyday.

Lets not start pitting locals against locals.
We are all Teamster brothers no matter what is happening.
The strong local is the one that has a great BA and steward willing to go above and beyond his normal BA and steward duties to ensure his guys are taken care of fairly and squarely and that the contract is adhered to.
I'll be the first to admit our Steward is destined to go to the top as far as his skills.

They just don't layoff people just to lay them off. That's the last resort, at least in my barn.
If freight levels diminishes and/or they find ways to be more efficient with less people. Jobs will suffer. Makes no sense to be working at over capacity.

in my opinion both locals bend over for the company

If thats what you believe then don't say one is stronger than the other.
And believe me, we have a BA thats as useful as a screen door on a submarine, we have to depend on our steward for everything. Good thing he is so good, even the 710 guys go to him for help. Cuz this is what he likes to do to management:Poke:.......

I worked for SAIA for 4 years as a city driver M-F and worked Linehaul(Road Driver) on the weekend. Linehaul drivers starting out would drive M-F in the system for 3 months. That meant he would go anywhere and everywhere staying in motels and off on the weekends. After the 3 months he would be allowed to bid on a "Run" which meant that he would run to a terminal or point and return so he would be home every night or every morning depending on the Run.

My question is: Does UPS Road drivers have a similiar setup where they are home everyday or do they have to be gone M-F. I'm needing something local so I can have more family time. I recently resigned from Estes Specialized(Truckload). I did 2 runs to Miami a week or 2 chicago and a miami. Pay was $1200 a week but not good family time.

I'm a little hesitant about city driver as when I worked for SAIA I made over 71K my last year but they burned me out as I was working 12-14 hours each day. I always looked at our Linehaul(Roaddriver) as having it made with no stress and easy work schedule making more than us City drivers with all the stress. They even had more family time. Which one has more family time at UPS freight? Road Driver or City Driver? Thanks!

Probaly city, with Ot after 8 they want the city drivers at 40 hours only so you would have more family time, also the hours would be more family oriented, at the end of this contract city drivers will make $26.15/hr that is $54k a year at 40 hours,