Holland | How long do we have

next time in bu go out on the dock,see mark the sup and ask himwhythat is his call and he will not listen to anyone or try the tm brian who thinks he is doing a great job.then you can talk to mr. beck while you are at it and see whare that gets you .your lucky there was no dubois mixed in its them that dont care not the dockworkers.

next time in bu go out on the dock,see mark the sup and ask himwhythat is his call and he will not listen to anyone or try the tm brian who thinks he is doing a great job.then you can talk to mr. beck while you are at it and see whare that gets you .your lucky there was no dubois mixed in its them that dont care not the dockworkers.
There shoud BE NO next time, you plan on this Company being around this time next year think of how you load them. Why should ROADMEN do your job at the next terminal?:1036316054::chairshot:

i agree with you. not dockmans doing totally on supervision.we lost a ob sup in fall and everything is gone down hill since. while waiting every night for closing you have to notice the choas

i agree with you. not dockmans doing totally on supervision.we lost a ob sup in fall and everything is gone down hill since. while waiting every night for closing you have to notice the choas
As a Tmster not here to BUST any 00s but trying to remedy the prob,never to point at 1. Don't take it that way try to help a rman on the way home to the youngones.:1036316054:

I don't know how it is at other terminals but..
I haven't' worked ONE F"ING MINUTE of VOLUNTARY overtime in three years yet I get 50 to 55 hours a week every week.
They know how to keep you out, have another driver bring you another peddle or instruct you to drop you full trailer and make pickups on an empty, or force overtime and bring you in with 9 hours and 30 minutes on the clock and give you another several hour peddle. We get no support on this one. In my opinion the contracts intention was to limit a persons workday to 10 hours but we were told that we need to "get the freight or the non-union carriers will"
At least this new contract spells out that they have to notify us of required overtime 1 hour prior to the end of the shift (They told us they did not have to tell us) and there is a formula for bringing peole back off of layoff due to overtime.
Before you call me greedy you should know that I have TWO choices when it comes to overtime, either work it or find another job. One guy was fired over it and luckily made it back to work.
BP, You don't qualify as one of the greedy. Nobody is talking about the guys that are getting it forced down their throat.(at least that is not how I am reading these posts) Its the guys begging, manipulating and hiding behind retail stores to get the extra O/T that everyone is talking about. Lots of us have seen our O/T go up since the lay-offs, but we can't do anything about it. Our barns still take a certain amount of man hours to get them closed down, so when you remove people, obviously, the rest will get more O/T. It is not fair and some of us don't even want it, but it is not in our control. The company has made the decision to pay out the O/T instead of another man's benefits. Up here, we have the 10 hours and you can leave rule. That helps us cut our hours some at least.:1036316054:

Ok cheeseater you are going to the load door with one skid and the dock sup says you have to load it, you have to load it.
I agree that if the freight for three terminals is staged in the bay the guy loading it should at least make an effort.

Cornflake and Northern flash, I jumped the gun on that post a little. I just get a little upset sometimes. Ad 45 minutes to an hour drive each way to the ends of my day and it doesn't leave much time for the family.

There shoud BE NO next time, you plan on this Company being around this time next year think of how you load them. Why should ROADMEN do your job at the next terminal?:1036316054::chairshot:
Cheese,
The problem might be that a dock foreman only wants the freight loaded as fast as possible and couldn't care less if it costs the company more money and delay when the road driver has to go through it again at a dark terminal. Those numbers will be charged against either linehaul or the dark terminal. The dock foreman is judged on loading as many bills out as fast as he can get them loaded. This passing of the buck, so to speak, is a stupid practice but a very common one these days. It's as if every department at every terminal is their own little company and will do whatever they have to do to make their numbers look good at the expense of others and the company too. As dumb as this is, it's the way all freight companies work.....numbers, numbers, numbers.

Cheese,
The problem might be that a dock foreman only wants the freight loaded as fast as possible and couldn't care less if it costs the company more money and delay when the road driver has to go through it again at a dark terminal. Those numbers will be charged against either linehaul or the dark terminal. The dock foreman is judged on loading as many bills out as fast as he can get them loaded. This passing of the buck, so to speak, is a stupid practice but a very common one these days. It's as if every department at every terminal is their own little company and will do whatever they have to do to make their numbers look good at the expense of others and the company too. As dumb as this is, it's the way all freight companies work.....numbers, numbers, numbers.

Just Like Shot Gun Loading is in the city , City drivers will go back to the same stop 2 and 3 times dont make much sense. but stl is right its all about the numbers , the ones that get the blame passed on to the next part of the op's

I do not know about your barn. But the whole trailer of freight is not just setting there waiting to be loaded at ours. It is loaded as it comes off a breaker in what ever order that may be.
I was a road driver when I first started. It does get frustrating to unload the whole trailer to get the freight you need.

When it is a little slower the sup. will try and rout the bills and tell you to load from bottom up ot top down.

too early for that message

i think you can figure November before any big lay offs:soapbox:.... having said that, I don't think they want to close Holland yet. What about all those 4 hour casuals they want to use. they have to try them out first.:chairshot: what about the utility driver:nutkick: they have way to much to do yet. what I would watch out for is stricter enforcement of rules.:Bondage:fewer full timers gives management a lot of flexibility.

Your right Slippery, thats how it is in YT. Hotloading big time and it seemed to work pretty good when I was in there. As long as the inbound is on time that is. There big plan would not work if there was breakdowns or just tardy drivers involved. Been in there a few times and everything went pretty smooth though.
:hysterical: Thats funny. After YT opened up we are luckey to get our freight by 10. When it came direct with 2day freight it was out in the city by 9

:hysterical: Thats funny. After YT opened up we are luckey to get our freight by 10. When it came direct with 2day freight it was out in the city by 9

Well then obviously there are delays like I spoke of! All I can verify is what I saw when I was there a couple times and no city crew was on duty yet! :1036316054:

So, how many of us have ever filed that grievance?

Ax I know of a few that were filed ,not sure that they were won.
I do know of ones that were filed for the first in first out while someone on the same shift was sent home and those were won with payment to the Senior man.
As a salary man you are most likely required to put in the extra time , but as you can see this issue is utmost important to those of us that would rather have the chance to get the time home to re-energize for the stresses that driving in inclement weather, insane driving patterns and such. I have noticed that the company mantra is SAFETY well it is not safe when you have drivers being forced to remain on the road when they might be fatigued . Then god forbid something happens and you get the chargeable or worse. You can counter with the govt. Reg's that say that it is OK to work 14 hrs city 60-70 road but in most cases those regs were not written by someone who actually puts the time in......... again It comes down to Manpower you don't have enough boots on the ground to cover the work

Ax don't take this personal we are exercising our Freedom of speech that's all.
That being said hats off to everyone who has endured this brutal winter and this brutal lay-off period those who stood up for the low man great job!
Ax it does not take much to figure out what the underlying problem with operations is I wrote about to it in the suggestion post. but I will recap for you : Next Day Freight {Holland WAS # 1} moving the freight along the loop at a earlier arrival and departure schedule To do this you need More Manpower, better managment of time, and proper loading procedures. AGAIN WE ARE NOT BREAK BULK that being said we all want holland to prosper and grow until those issues listed get resolved we will continualy decline and that is not the goal of anyone driver, dock,ect......... again we are a service company without men to service we cant claim that title.

Time for this thread to die also. Hopefully the Truckingboard Powers That Be send this one to the cybergarbage can along with the other two doom and gloom threads.

Or just the big picture that the charts and graft's say.
What made this a great place to work for in the distant past was that it was founded by a truck driver who understood the In's and outs of what it is to keep the MORAL of the work force in a positive way.
Even before the buyout the direction of our operating performance as a hole was in decline due to the fact that we were and have been run by folks that are not familiar with the true complexity's of the service that we perform. How many of these CEO's spent even one week behind the wheel of a 80,000# vehicle ? Have they for one minute had to sweat out a situation that might result in the death of a fellow motorist let alone a whole family? I dought it very much that they have had to, and that leads us back to the overtime and extended time on the road. It is in the best interest maybe not in the view of the #'s to bring back the work force and relive the pressure of long extended hours. H&W is well worth the cost compared to the millions it would cost for lawsuits if god forbid that guy trying to chase the Almighty dollar or the one forced to go beyond the acceptable amount of fatigue happened to get into one of those accidents that we all hope will never happen no matter how much of a professional driver think they might be.

Time for this thread to die also. Hopefully the Truckingboard Powers That Be send this one to the cybergarbage can along with the other two doom and gloom threads.
Why should any thread be deleted because one doesn't agree with the views? Maybe they've been thru this before, and can see the writing on the wall. I never understood why two people can't have two different opinions on some thing and leave it at that. Do you want to the owner and mods to start deleting stuff that they don't agree with? I know I don't. I do not need another big brother spying in on my personal activities and telling me what to think.