Yellow | Hypothetical Question ??

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
Hypothetical Question : So IF Yellow had NOT bought Roadway & Holland would they still be OPEN yet today ?? 🤔

Hypothetical Question : So IF Yellow had NOT bought Roadway & Holland would they still be OPEN yet today ?? 🤔
No. The Yellow/Roadway merger happened because both knew that they could not survive independently in the deregulated competitive environment. It was a partnership born out of necessity.
Roadway and Yellow did not supplement each other. Both operated in the same areas, and both had the same long linehaul business plans. Immediately merging the two together was the only thing that made sense. That wasn't done. The goal should have been to lower costs by consolidating while maintaining and growing revenue. The new company failed to properly utilize labor, equipment and facilities.

No. The Yellow/Roadway merger happened because both knew that they could not survive independently in the deregulated competitive environment. It was a partnership born out of necessity.
Roadway and Yellow did not supplement each other. Both operated in the same areas, and both had the same long linehaul business plans. Immediately merging the two together was the only thing that made sense. That wasn't done. The goal should have been to lower costs by consolidating while maintaining and growing revenue. The new company failed to properly utilize labor, equipment and facilities.
Both operated in the same area BUT operated completely different. A perfect example is New Penn.

Roadway bought New Penn when it operated at 78 they left it alone with its existing managment they took the profit at the end of the year.

Yellow buys Roadway, They got New Penn first thing they did was get rid of the managment there because they knew how to run it better and POOF no more profitable company.

No. The Yellow/Roadway merger happened because both knew that they could not survive independently in the deregulated competitive environment.

Not true. Roadway was doing just fine and was not for sale, Yellow made a per share offer with a huge premium to the stock price which the shareholders and board could not refuse. Roadway in no way felt their back was against the wall before that offer. I'm pretty sure Roadway, New Penn and Reimer would still be operating today.

Many companies made money till they didn't and eventually closed. Anyone's guess if any of those companies would still be around. I'm also sure if you worked for one of them you hated Yellow and you would be sure they'd still be around if Yellow hadn't bought them. :smile new:
So true.

Both operated in the same area BUT operated completely different. A perfect example is New Penn.

Roadway bought New Penn when it operated at 78 they left it alone with its existing managment they took the profit at the end of the year.

Yellow buys Roadway, They got New Penn first thing they did was get rid of the managment there because they knew how to run it better and POOF no more profitable company.
When Roadway acquired Arnold Industries (New Penn) they moved COO Jim Staley from Roadway/Reimer to COO at New Penn. When Yellow acquired the USF Group, that was when Staley was soon replaced, by Yellow.

Many companies made money till they didn't and eventually closed. Anyone's guess if any of those companies would still be around. I'm also sure if you worked for one of them you hated Yellow and you would be sure they'd still be around if Yellow hadn't bought them. :smile new:
I got to Double down on Holland. Company would still be around if YRC didn't buy them. Example ABF is still around because YRC didn't buy them.. Two good companies with one having the bad luck of getting in bed with YRC!

By your logic, CF, PIE, and APA aren't around because Yellow didn't buy them. :duh:
C.F went out of business because they wanted to go out of business. Con-Way was invented to take their place. PIE was the YRC of their time. I'll be honest I don't know anything about APA. I will tell you this, lots of companies went down because of deregulation and they weren't prepared for that, but YRC survived those hard times Only to have the management that helped them survive grow old and retire and management that knew nothing about Trucking took over, and ran it into the ground