Yellow | Hypothetical Question ??

I'm going to address the Holland part of the conversation. I worked linehaul at CF, Yellow, NW, and few other union carriers including Holland. IMHO, Holland was the best run of them all. Even though it had long ceased to be a family-owned business (the Coopers), I always felt part of a team. At least at my barn, both management and union worked together for the benefit of the customer. It was obvious to all that Holland realized that if you provide superior service to your customer, the profits will follow. That said, we were never the lowest cost carrier. We wanted the higher priced skid freight that could be moved quickly with little chance of damage. The old CF "high and tight" way of doing things, including breaking down skid freight for transport and then building it back before delivery was never done. If I recall correctly, our claims rate was less than 1/2 of one percent. The company always ran a very good operating ratio.
This is a company that went from family owned to TNT and then to USF. The trick was that each new management team looked at what worked and then kept it. I have no doubt that had the company never been purchased by Yellow, it would be operating right now with a great reputation and be in a firm financial condition.
The management at Yellow lost their way probably beginning with the decision to promote an idiot like Bill Zollars to the CEO position. From that point forward, it was a downhill slide. The debt load he put on the company with his purchases could not be met. He also paid way too much for the purchases. If Zollars wanted to expand Yellow, he should have done so by taking the money used for acquisitions and instead using it for internal expansion. That said, I still think Yellow would have failed. All trucking companies sell the same basic service, the movement of freight from point A to point B. The only difference is what you charge for the service and how well you take care of the customer. Yellow said screw the customer, and when they started losing freight volume, the answer was to start heavy discounting. They then made the fatal mistake of screwing the employees with reductions to pay and benefits. I knew for sure that the Yellow boat was sinking when I started to see posts where people bragged about forking freight and stealing time. Agreed, this was only a very small percentage of the Yellow employees, but it should have been a wakeup call to management that they needed to do damage control.

This is a company that went from family owned to TNT and then to USF. The trick was that each new management team looked at what worked and then kept it. I have no doubt that had the company never been purchased by Yellow, it would be operating right now with a great reputation and be in a firm financial condition.

100 % agree, John Deere.

I'm going to address the Holland part of the conversation. I worked linehaul at CF, Yellow, NW, and few other union carriers including Holland. IMHO, Holland was the best run of them all. Even though it had long ceased to be a family-owned business (the Coopers), I always felt part of a team. At least at my barn, both management and union worked together for the benefit of the customer. It was obvious to all that Holland realized that if you provide superior service to your customer, the profits will follow. That said, we were never the lowest cost carrier. We wanted the higher priced skid freight that could be moved quickly with little chance of damage. The old CF "high and tight" way of doing things, including breaking down skid freight for transport and then building it back before delivery was never done. If I recall correctly, our claims rate was less than 1/2 of one percent. The company always ran a very good operating ratio.
<snip>
You do realize that Yellow and Holland were two different business types with two different business models. Holland and New Penn were regional next day while Yellow (and CF) were long haul. Long haul needed to load freight high and tight for the long trip while regional was floor load for the next day/2 day. Incompatible ways of thinking about handling/loading freight.

APA did very well when all of their competitors were terrible carriers. Once they were forced to compete with well managed union free flexible companies they started to struggle.
I believe they purchased an New England LTL Carrier ( it may have been Sanborn's but I'm not sure) the internal culture shifted.
With more efficient next day delivery competition and a main hub with 1970's style dragline to move freight, APA shifted from selling quality to selling price.
After the 1994 teamster strike additional well managed competitors popped up and the APA Ownership Team realized there was more profits in water ferries than trucking.
It was Sanborn's,gotta hand it to you Puffy,you know your trucking history...A lot of what you say is true...APA was a 3 list barn(road,dock,city),and when Arthur's son took the reigns,Armand Pohan(adopted),things changed fast...Armand Pohan was a corporate real estate educated lawyer,who wanted nothing to do with trucking,his heart was never in it,it was in real estate and on the waterways...Back then,a lot of freight was floor loaded,time consuming back breaking work...Think nothing of and normal sending you to Mid-town Manhattan or anywhere in the City,including the Bronx,Brooklyn,and Queens with 15/17 deliveries of a cubed out straight job and expecting PU's to boot:hilarious:....At ''every'' meeting,which was often in the morning,Armand would bitch and moan about the Union,''can't compete'',''losing customers'',''non-union pricing killing us''...Tried some concessions through the years,combination dock/driver,road/city work,among other things...Armand Pohan wanted out of trucking,that was the bottom line,we were ''busy'' right up to the end...Real Estate and NY Waterways was his 'Future'...And to this day,still growing,still expanding,dedicating this new ''Ferry'' in honor of ''Arthur'' just last summer...Deregulation was the killer!!!!

https://www.nj.com/galleries/LTBP4QEVDNANPIGFBNC47YSQCI/

You do realize that Yellow and Holland were two different business types with two different business models. Holland and New Penn were regional next day while Yellow (and CF) were long haul. Long haul needed to load freight high and tight for the long trip while regional was floor load for the next day/2 day. Incompatible ways of thinking about handling/loading freight.
Absolutely and when so many people tried to tell the last management group that you couldn’t treat regional business the way you do long haul they wouldn’t listen. They insisted on doing velocity centers where freight that new penn ran overnight went to sit on a dock for a week.

A big issue with them was the “your just a driver” attitude instead of listening to issues long time experienced employees were trying to bring to their attention for the good of the company.

Yes, I do realize the difference in the service area that the two companies had. But Holland was pretty big. They serviced Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina(yea), South Carolina, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and parts of Canada. On the matter of breaking down skids, Yellow did this on freight that was plainly marked DO NOT BREAK SHRINK WRAP. They would stack freight on top of skids marked DO NOT LOAD ON TOP OF THIS SKID that even had the little triangles on top to try and make sure this did not happen. The point is that if you want the customers business, you do what the customer requests. And yes, Yellow and Holland management for damn sure had different business models. Yellow's was to run an idiotic business model that screwed the employees, made the dumbest business decisions ever, never saw fit to make any changes to become profitable except for taking away from the workers and selling off the company assets. Holland's business model was to provide the best service possible to the customer, run a profitable and ethical business, and treat the employees with some degree of respect. The management that ran Yellow in the ground are an embarrassment to themselves, their families, and the company itself. The guy that pumps out my septic tank would not hire one of these clowns. I am sorry that you zoned in on service area and missed the bigger points of how the Yellow management totally disregarded their obligation to run and manage a business properly. God Bless all you folks that had to start in a new job or are still looking for one. I am retired so came out ok but there are a lot of people wishing and praying the best to you folks still working.

Yes, I do realize the difference in the service area that the two companies had. But Holland was pretty big. They serviced Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina(yea), South Carolina, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and parts of Canada. On the matter of breaking down skids, Yellow did this on freight that was plainly marked DO NOT BREAK SHRINK WRAP. They would stack freight on top of skids marked DO NOT LOAD ON TOP OF THIS SKID that even had the little triangles on top to try and make sure this did not happen. The point is that if you want the customers business, you do what the customer requests. And yes, Yellow and Holland management for damn sure had different business models. Yellow's was to run an idiotic business model that screwed the employees, made the dumbest business decisions ever, never saw fit to make any changes to become profitable except for taking away from the workers and selling off the company assets. Holland's business model was to provide the best service possible to the customer, run a profitable and ethical business, and treat the employees with some degree of respect. The management that ran Yellow in the ground are an embarrassment to themselves, their families, and the company itself. The guy that pumps out my septic tank would not hire one of these clowns. I am sorry that you zoned in on service area and missed the bigger points of how the Yellow management totally disregarded their obligation to run and manage a business properly. God Bless all you folks that had to start in a new job or are still looking for one. I am retired so came out ok but there are a lot of people wishing and praying the best to you folks still working.
I tired to give a rational response, I see yours is somewhat emotional. I had a different experience than you apparently had. In any event, I wish the best for you, and hope for better in 2024.

Cam 1 I worked for them for 16 years and and a Freight UPS is perfect name for them, Arthur was out the day I interviewed so I met Arman in JAN 1986,wish I would've seen the rec center, didn't NBA NJ Nets practice there?
Yes they did,exactly right,got to meet a lot of the players...I've always been an all sports fan...Buck Williams,and of course,Chocolate Thunder-Darryl Dawkins to name a couple