FedEx Freight | If we MERGE

Boy I bet those ol Vikings would be suprised to learn that FedEx wasn't in the freight business until 2001. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that they werent NATIONWIDE in the freight business until they bought AF.

You're right my bad, I remember when they bought AF here on the east coast and went nationwide but I didn't know that Viking was considered Fed Ex at the time. Either way I don't think that a merger will happen with the bigger yards unless they utilize both yards to acomplish this. I could be wrong maybe they are going to take National off of the equipment and everything will just say freight. Anyway we can't do anything about it until it gets here.:biggrin:

You're right my bad, I remember when they bought AF here on the east coast and went nationwide but I didn't know that Viking was considered Fed Ex at the time.
If you are old enough to remember when RPS trucks went away and FedEx Ground trucks appeared, that is when Viking became part of FedEx. Long before AF entered the picture.

Central had me set up to bobtail and pull mtys out of a small terminal today. I got there and the manager knew nothing about it, and started making phone calls. I only made one trip, out of two after that.
City guy there said freight was already picking up alot of their freight, now we're pulling out trls? IDK sounds like something has started, just don't know what yet.

Sept 16th I heard there is a big announcement coming from frieght and National Is this the big merge or what?

Sept 16th I heard there is a big announcement coming from frieght and National Is this the big merge or what?
I don't think it is a merger... more like an overhaul. National will be rebranded as freight with a lot of changes, like maybe your Fedex truckload carrier??? And freight will assume ALL LTL operations. Just a guess based on a few changes to transfer policy changes made in july. There is no more dovetailing at all. Only those workers who are currently in their 1 year one-time transfer back to original customer center can follow work. And that ends for good on july 26 2011. So to recap: no dovetailing with seniority, and Contractors being added at National to run linehaul. High seniority people will be ok and a lot of city drivers will have jobs at current FREIGHT locations, on the bottom of the board. I could be totally full of crap. Just a guess.

what are you all doing talking about this, once the merger happens you all will be without a job. the biggest mistake was taking on Watkins and renaming it to National, the other mistake was killing the FedEx East/West comparison. people smarten up you all are going out the door and the company will have the same impact that YRC has now.... do not allow them to fool any of you.

I know with fedex its wait and see what they do not what they put on paper but thier actions. But in the Scenario above how do the small relay yards I.E Sidney play into this. So the only part of that scenario that I would fight of course and lose but they close this yard I dovetail in where ever they had a openning. Like I said I know way better with Fedex its what they do not what they put on paper or what I read here (even though you guys come close to whats going to happen often

I don't think it is a merger... more like an overhaul. National will be rebranded as freight with a lot of changes, like maybe your Fedex truckload carrier??? And freight will assume ALL LTL operations. Just a guess based on a few changes to transfer policy changes made in july. There is no more dovetailing at all. Only those workers who are currently in their 1 year one-time transfer back to original customer center can follow work. And that ends for good on july 26 2011. So to recap: no dovetailing with seniority, and Contractors being added at National to run linehaul. High seniority people will be ok and a lot of city drivers will have jobs at current FREIGHT locations, on the bottom of the board. I could be totally full of crap. Just a guess.
contractors r out 31 dec at sch i thought

every one states merger ok but the one question i have is dock capacity i know here there is no way with national/ freight combined daily bill count we would not have a big enough terminal to handle all this freight combined i talk to local freight guys they do not have enough dock nor do we here at national we both need bigger terminals never mind merging us not to mention locally there are no terminal that would acomidate at least 150 doors if we were to merge i would have to imagine this would be a issue around the country what do you guys think.

EFH has 176 doors with lots of room for expansion and is currently operating at 40-45%

EFH has 176 doors with lots of room for expansion and is currently operating at 40-45%
And the nearest National Terminal is 100 miles from Effingham. There is plenty of room at Freight terminals to handle ALL the National volume. Just look at the location finder at Fedex.com. Effingham IL, is expandable to around 260 doors.

The key word is Expandable there is capital out lay for building or adding on to a facility vs keeping open the ones you have until the docks are out grown. I guess that is why FDX is spending money to fix the yard @ DTX and filling in the pits @ MEM. (NTL yards)

I just hope, whatever happens, we all come out with a job were willing to do. Dock work is just not my thing, I've done it before a long time ago, but now it is a lot less appealing. The one thing I don't understand is, there is a fed law that states I think that drivers do not have to load and unload trucks and if we are considered hourly employs how do they get around paying overtime after 8 hours. Which I know some of you welcome dock time and I say more power to you. I just don't want to get caught up in that. And as they tell us all the time I guess if you don't like it you don't have to work here. Yea, that's right I thought I would go ahead and say it before someone else did. Best of luck to everyone.:kickedoutsmile::smilies-19296:

:ranting2:
The key is to stop worrying about things you have no control over. A company's actions will reflect its profit driven nature and you just have to hope that you figure into the equation somewhere.

Your right about not worrying about things you have no control over.Says easy does hard,especially when you have many years invested in a company and a lot riding on the decisions of people you don't know or trust.

Over at freight (west) we have seen how these "LEADERS" of ours make decisions based on the bottom line.It appears they are so far removed from front line operations that except for some statistical data contrived from people trying to save there own job, they have no idea the effects there policy's have on our customers,employees and the families of us all.:cuss:

:ranting2:

Your right about not worrying about things you have no control over.Says easy does hard,especially when you have many years invested in a company and a lot riding on the decisions of people you don't know or trust.

Over at freight (west) we have seen how these "LEADERS" of ours make decisions based on the bottom line.It appears they are so far removed from front line operations that except for some statistical data contrived from people trying to save there own job, they have no idea the effects there policy's have on our customers,employees and the families of us all.:cuss:

Good post. I gave you a greenie.

The key is to stop worrying about things you have no control over. A company's actions will reflect its profit driven nature and you just have to hope that you figure into the equation somewhere.

You can apply that philosophy to every company. Good post!