FedEx Freight | If you had a choice

Someone ask me today if I had to chose between a 5th week vacation or personal and holiday pay at vacation rate.

I said both. After over 20 years with company there should be some reward for dedication. Also we are short changed every holiday and personal day we are off.

If I had to choose. I would say 5th week, but I'm sure younger crowd would go for pay. Still think it should be both.
Probably never see either.

Supposedly some committee is meeting and wants to know what employees want more before submitting to corporate.

I just got the call. Don't know who or what committee name is.
Reward for dedication ??? I had 32 years 10 months and 3 days when FedEx said we are closing your barn and 28 others. My (and all the other dedicated employees) reward for dedication was 12 weeks (or less) severance pay which I thought was a slap in the face. I have finally pissed out all the purple kool aid I drank for years. Be prepared eventually the majority of Fedex employees will be working for contractors, yes even freight. This supposedly committee that is meeting about vacation and personal days should be meeting about union representation and bring that to corporate !! FedEx only cares about making the share holders happy, but I am sure majority will continue to drink the purple kool aid and thank management for the cookouts.

Reward for dedication ??? I had 32 years 10 months and 3 days when FedEx said we are closing your barn and 28 others. My (and all the other dedicated employees) reward for dedication was 12 weeks (or less) severance pay which I thought was a slap in the face. I have finally pissed out all the purple kool aid I drank for years. Be prepared eventually the majority of Fedex employees will be working for contractors, yes even freight. This supposedly committee that is meeting about vacation and personal days should be meeting about union representation and bring that to corporate !! FedEx only cares about making the share holders happy, but I am sure majority will continue to drink the purple kool aid and thank management for the cookouts.
Agree 100%. I just threw it out there because some ask me.
IMO you should of had your choice of transfer or 2 weeks vacation for every year worked severance..

Agree 100%. I just threw it out there because some ask me.
IMO you should of had your choice of transfer or 2 weeks vacation for every year worked severance..
I could have transferred but i Didn’t want to be a weekend husband, father or grandfather. Also didn’t want to rent for 5 or so years or sell my house ( which is paid for) and start over. I believe Fedex knew majority of employees would not transfer and the other centers had city and line haul drivers on furlough , it was their way of a good public relations move of not laying employees off. We had 12 city drivers and 4 line haul drivers , only 2 transferred, 1 city and 1 road driver.

I could have transferred but i Didn’t want to be a weekend husband, father or grandfather. Also didn’t want to rent for 5 or so years or sell my house ( which is paid for) and start over. I believe Fedex knew majority of employees would not transfer and the other centers had city and line haul drivers on furlough , it was their way of a good public relations move of not laying employees off. We had 12 city drivers and 4 line haul drivers , only 2 transferred, 1 city and 1 road driver.
What was the closest terminal to transfer to if I may ask?

Someone ask me today if I had to chose between a 5th week vacation or personal and holiday pay at vacation rate.

I said both. After over 20 years with company there should be some reward for dedication. Also we are short changed every holiday and personal day we are off.

If I had to choose. I would say 5th week, but I'm sure younger crowd would go for pay. Still think it should be both.
Probably never see either.

Supposedly some committee is meeting and wants to know what employees want more before submitting to corporate.

I just got the call. Don't know who or what committee name is.
Idk why we don’t get it after 20??? Express gets it and they want us all to be together .

Hate to hear that driver!!!

5th vacation week would be great, but it would need to include a different progression scale. No offense to the guys who've put the time in but 2 weeks to start is normal anymore. 3 weeks after 7.. if I remember correctly is not. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I have gotten older , I have appreciated more of the work life balance. Unfortunately, my kids are grown up and there is a whole chapter of life I have missed.... But my grandkids get more of me then my kids ever did. But that's another time.
You're correct. 2 weeks starting, 3 after 7 years, 4 after 14 years.

The 5th week is great for the guys already there, but how much would someone just starting make in 20 years if their holiday/personal time paid the same as vacation?

If the company is going to pick just one, the 5th week at 21 years is a no-brainer. Much less to pay out.

If I had my druthers, I'd eliminate the bonus and make it a raise. That'll never happen, though, because when it was brought up to a manager, the answer given was, and I quote, "We can't take raises back."

You're correct. 2 weeks starting, 3 after 7 years, 4 after 14 years.

The 5th week is great for the guys already there, but how much would someone just starting make in 20 years if their holiday/personal time paid the same as vacation?

If the company is going to pick just one, the 5th week at 21 years is a no-brainer. Much less to pay out.

If I had my druthers, I'd eliminate the bonus and make it a raise. That'll never happen, though, because when it was brought up to a manager, the answer given was, and I quote, "We can't take raises back."
Lots of hourly folks don’t work very much if any overtime. Office, maintenance shop, dock, and 4 day city drivers for example. These folks and management don’t get vacation rate and wouldn’t benefit from holiday and personal time paid at a higher rate. Everyone would benefit from an extra vacation week.

Lots of hourly folks don’t work very much if any overtime. Office, maintenance shop, dock, and 4 day city drivers for example. These folks and management don’t get vacation rate and wouldn’t benefit from holiday and personal time paid at a higher rate. Everyone would benefit from an extra vacation week.
Following current progression the 5th week would only come after 21 years. Not everybody would benefit.

I'm a 4-day city and my vacation rate is more than the hourly. Vacation rate is computed by yearly gross if I'm not mistaken.