Holland | Inhumane cold dock work environment

Been working docks for CF and Holland 28 years and the key is dress warm layers and move. Hand warmers and foot warmers are great. It is not hard really. Yes sitting on a tow motor is no help but...adjust
When it got really cold during my working the midnight shift days, along with all of the above, I would wear one of my wife's scarfs around my face like a bandits mask. And smell her perfume as I stripped trailers.

When it got really cold during my working the midnight shift days, along with all of the above, I would wear one of my wife's scarfs around my face like a bandits mask. And smell her perfume as I stripped trailers.
So you were the one that kept spearing the freight due to being distracted. :732:

The best way to fend off the inhumane work elements....................work! Don't be afraid to get off your forklift and move around. Wear mittens with thin liner gloves inside them. And don't avoid hand freight like you usually do, actually do the work and move the freight yourself, which creates body heat. Problem solved.
:stirthepot:

:biglaugh:

Ha ,Ha , you guys are funny with all of your helpful comments & smart*** remarks , and I happy you all have opinions on this subject , but it is the year 2015 , not the 1960's , and over the years working conditions have improved at most companies , right ??? so if we stay with the old way of your thinking ,then WHY do we need air.cond. in the trucks or power steering or air ride seats ??? after all that stuff is just like a tampon right ATM ??

Ha ,Ha , you guys are funny with all of your helpful comments & smart*** remarks , and I happy you all have opinions on this subject , but it is the year 2015 , not the 1960's , and over the years working conditions have improved at most companies , right ??? so if we stay with the old way of your thinking ,then WHY do we need air.cond. in the trucks or power steering or air ride seats ??? after all that stuff is just like a tampon right ATM ??
We dont NEED those things, they were either negotiated for or mandated by law. Look around, I dont see many if any companies with a heated dock. Its your chosen profession. Go bag groceries.

Last edited:
We dont NEED those things, they were either negotiated for or mandated by law. Look around, I dont see many if any companies with a heated dock. Its your chosen profession. Go bag groceries.
Ha , ATM you are to funny & thanks for the job tip to go bag groceries , just put my job app. in today , and you are RIGHT we don't need them things so next contract lets ask them to TAKE air. cond. & power steering & air ride seats OUT of the trucks , what good idea's you have !!!

Ha , ATM you are to funny & thanks for the job tip to go bag groceries , just put my job app. in today , and you are RIGHT we don't need them things so next contract lets ask them to TAKE air. cond. & power steering & air ride seats OUT of the trucks , what good idea's you have !!!
I never said negotiate them away. I did say this is the profession you chose in the climate you chose to live in. You are one of those kind of people that would move next to the airport and then bitch about the noise from the planes. YOU decided to do this, so I hope that job app pans out for you but I'm sure you will complain about something there too, perhaps dry hands from handling paper bags.