New Penn | Interline Freight

2631 and Justice -

The reason New Penn can make it work vs. Roadway is a simple one. They are using direct loading with purchased transportation. No break bulks, cheaper linehaul costs, it all adds up.

You are correct Hockey Puck...North east bound freight that Bestway picks up now,Goes to Dallas,Tx. It is then put on Purchased Transportation, Glen Moore for example, pulled by Team Drivers nonstop to New Penn....Cheaper Linehaul, No sitting around breakbulks for 20 hours.

I don't know what your getting so excited about, all new penn is doing is putting a new spin on a old product. Red Star had the same arangement with the same carriers ( i call them gypsies) as a matter of fact when St. JOHNSBURY was owned by sun oil they did the same thing, but used the railroads instead.All i know is that all the bad mouthing you new penn guys said about the usf companys, you should grateful that your getting their freight, because you'd be dead without it.

Lawman said:
I don't know what your getting so excited about, all new penn is doing is putting a new spin on a old product. Red Star had the same arangement with the same carriers ( i call them gypsies) as a matter of fact when St. JOHNSBURY was owned by sun oil they did the same thing, but used the railroads instead.All i know is that all the bad mouthing you new penn guys said about the usf companys, you should grateful that your getting their freight, because you'd be dead without it.

Lawman, you're kidding right? New Penn has one of the lowest operation ratios in the industry and has more than enough of their own freight.
I don't know what the percentage of USF interline freight in the New Penn system is but I would guess it's in the 5-15% range from what I've seen.

New Penn made tons of money before the USF freight and they will make even more with it

Lawman said:
Boy Lawman thats strong. NP is dead without USF freight, I don't know about that. I feel just the opposite about Np getting our freight. They seem to do pretty well on their own. After what that interline frt did to our service and bottom line, I'd be very carefull with this partnership. GRIZZ

Grizz said:
Boy Lawman thats strong. NP is dead without USF freight, I don't know about that. I feel just the opposite about Np getting our freight. They seem to do pretty well on their own. After what that interline frt did to our service and bottom line, I'd be very carefull with this partnership. GRIZZ

I agree Grizz. New Penn always concentrated on being a regional Northeast carrier and nobody did it better than they did. I've heard the interline freight has been profitable but I say if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Lawman said:
All i know is that all the bad mouthing you new penn guys said about the usf companys, you should grateful that your getting their freight, because you'd be dead without it.
Seems to me both sides have done the same thing ....
As for being dead, New Penn was alive and very well before anyone on the east coast ever heard of Holland ... we will be fine, with or without your interline freight. Let's work together, instead of attemping to divide us.
Let's work towards the goal of letting people know how good union representation is, instead of slinging mud at each other.

flstc2000 what I believe Lawman was trying to say, but in my words is NP will a have a hard time being a stand alone company in only the NE. With companies moving in your area from the south and west, offering direct service, will slowly pull freight from NP. In other words USF will provide NP with that needed link to the rest of the US. Keep the faith man, YRC/regional is about to exploid in a good way. GRIZZ

Grizz said:
flstc2000 what I believe Lawman was trying to say, but in my words is NP will a have a hard time being a stand alone company in only the NE. With companies moving in your area from the south and west, offering direct service, will slowly pull freight from NP. In other words USF will provide NP with that needed link to the rest of the US. Keep the faith man, YRC/regional is about to exploid in a good way. GRIZZ

Grizz, New Penn had interline relationships long before USF came along. They use Wilson and Super Transport in the south and and Alvan in the great lakes area. I don't know if that freight will eventually go to the USF companies

whoopNride said:
First Load arrived in Dallas today. 31 bills, on Glen Moore Trailor. :bgroovy:

We were told today, Bestway recieved 247 shipments the first week from New Penn. 98.4% on time delivery. :bgroovy:

Keep them coming.:smilie_132: :wavey:

whoopNride said:
We were told today, Bestway recieved 247 shipments the first week from New Penn. 98.4% on time delivery. :bgroovy:

Keep them coming.:smilie_132: :wavey:

98.4% would get certain companies fired.

Most shippers will not accept less than 99% on time service...:duh:

Friend of the frog said:
98.4% would get certain companies fired.

Most shippers will not accept less than 99% on time service...:duh:

im curious, how do you guys get the precise percentages on what frt. is getting delivered ? i've always heard the TM make those comments but it's so hard to believe em. some please pass the info on.

Depends on the company. Some of the bigger companies like the Yellow group and FedEx, etc run reports daily.

When the freight is picked up a delivery date is auctomatically generated whenit is manifested. When the freight is delivered it is automatically rated.

Where it gets tricky is when things like appointments come in to play. That will change the due date on that freight. Years ago TMs would alter freight when they would see they were going to have service issues and change the bills to appointment status.

That will get most TMs fired nowadays so you do not see it.

The other thing that is tricky is when you have a service failure. That freight is now a failure and cannot be counted against again.

That is why you see so many times when a bill is brought back one day, a dispatcher or TM will flag it day in and day out, until someone is screaming for it.

Some other companies just throw out a dumb number and sees what happens.

Frog thats a couple of interesting posts. 99% is really tough in the southern market with the service standards required in the nextday lanes. Frog who do you work for or if you have reason for privacy I'll respect that. GRIZZ

i know when i ran the city for npme, anything that came back for what ever reason, was pushed to app. bin, and that was also reason it didnt get del. that day.makes it pretty easy to get the 99% ontime delivery thing. also, check out any ltl's carriers web-site, and they all claim to be the best at on-time del. and most if not all show 98-99% on time del status.

crazy said:
UnionTrucka:nutkick: the big guy says Make It Happen:chairshot:.....CRAZY

lol, that's right. yo craze, after EVERY meeting with us those words come out. i told him to trademark it. at least he has a sense of humor.

CFer said:
Grizz, New Penn had interline relationships long before USF came along. They use Wilson and Super Transport in the south and and Alvan in the great lakes area. I don't know if that freight will eventually go to the USF companies

CFer I know New Penn interlines with Wilson here in VA but I think it is controlled by who gets what. In the Hampton Roads area we had some interline freight from New Penn to Roadway but the rural areas and outlying areas it goes to Wilson.
I thought this would be an issue but I guess there are bigger issues to tackle b/4 focusing on that.

I used to see Holland running into our area out of Richmond but I think they interline it to another carrier cause I don't see them running anymore as a presence here. I did hear a rumor they were interlining it to Averritt...HHmmmm :chairshot: