XPO | Is there another option to unionizing or the current management? Maybe......

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
A union has interest that don't always help the membership. Management , Board of Directors , Institutional Investors , and Mutual Fund Owners - they all have interest that may harm the rank and file. All of these groups take money from the bottom and funnel it to the top.

Is it possible for Con-Way to be EMPLOYEE OWNED? Just a thought , we don't have to do what everybody else does , we can walk our own path.

The ESOP Association | Employee ownership through employee stock ownership plans

Employee ownership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, some of you convinced me that this union talk is bad for business. Perhaps I should send a letter on behalf of all of us to the BOD. It will go like this:

To whom this concerns:

We are concerned employees that care for the well-being of it’s company stockholders and its management. We think the company should reduce our wages because we make too much, which also hurts the outcome. We are all afraid of the future for the organization; To survive please also raise our insurance deductible and lower insurance coverages. Along with that, please end our 401k because we think we’ll try to invest our own money outside of our pay checks. These are hard decisions but ultimately its suitable, because we want the board to get a raise this year because we determined the board of directors aren’t paid adequately for all the decisions that are made.

We, the employees also agree that offering the employee any type of benefit is a costly liability. Please let me know which republican candidate or lobbyist we can send our check to, so when we are wealthy we can reap the benefits just like you; of being greedy. We need to help businesses regain strength in America to create dead end opportunities with minimal if not null benefits to continue maximizing the profits of its owners.

Please, continue to not repair anything that is unsafe such as seats, air conditioning, bad vibrations, and or alignment in the power units since these do not cause driver fatigue.

Also, regarding the sub-service and temporary help; please continue using these advantages since it also maximizes profits and overall helps its stockholders.

Sincerely,

Richard Izenyu [Is-in-you]

With all due respect to Wigglewagon, his post doesn't seem to relate to employee ownership. Again I ask, why do we we have to do things like all of the other trucking companies? Could employee ownership work for us?

A union has interest that don't always help the membership. Management , Board of Directors , Institutional Investors , and Mutual Fund Owners - they all have interest that may harm the rank and file. All of these groups take money from the bottom and funnel it to the top.

Is it possible for Con-Way to be EMPLOYEE OWNED? Just a thought , we don't have to do what everybody else does , we can walk our own path.

The ESOP Association | Employee ownership through employee stock ownership plans

Although I am not in favor of employee ownership, it is a valid and can possibly be a worthwhile alternative that warrants some constructive discussion.

However, as you can see, the negative nellies like wigglewagon will never allow any serious discussion to happen here because they have one goal in mind, and that is only, and nothing but, organization.

I do however applaud you for your forward thinking.

But seriously, do you really think that the people who manage and own this organization would ever agree to employee ownership? I do agree its a great idea also, unfortunately you can't reason ignorance. The cards are stacked against us.

I at one time was involved with a co. that had an ESOP program, was all good for quite a few yrs. untill greed sat in on the controlliing interest of that co. The co. sold out to saia and the employee's had to get lawyer's , after a long battle did get some of what was owed to them, I had left that co. before that and did receive payment for my vested time.

Last edited by a moderator:
But seriously, do you really think that the people who manage and own this organization would ever agree to employee ownership? I do agree its a great idea also, unfortunately you can't reason ignorance. The cards are stacked against us.

That's right, just give up then. No need to work at it yourself, just let someone else take care of it for you.

Sure glad our forefathers didn't take that attitude or we would all be speaking German right now...

I think employee ownership has just as good a chance as unionization, if not better. Con-Way was founded to be ANTI-UNION. Con-Way's older management is only one mindset: UNION = BAD. Most newer drivers have been shown videos of how the union doesn't work and ultimately fails. In other words Con-Way is ready and waiting for sloppy attempts to organize. It seems like it would be harder for them to fight something they aren't ready for. In any case , more power to anyone that wants to shed some light on the problems and fix them.

Okay, some of you convinced me that this union talk is bad for business. Perhaps I should send a letter on behalf of all of us to the BOD. It will go like this:

To whom this concerns:

We are concerned employees that care for the well-being of it’s company stockholders and its management. We think the company should reduce our wages because we make too much, which also hurts the outcome. We are all afraid of the future for the organization; To survive please also raise our insurance deductible and lower insurance coverages. Along with that, please end our 401k because we think we’ll try to invest our own money outside of our pay checks. These are hard decisions but ultimately its suitable, because we want the board to get a raise this year because we determined the board of directors aren’t paid adequately for all the decisions that are made.

We, the employees also agree that offering the employee any type of benefit is a costly liability. Please let me know which republican candidate or lobbyist we can send our check to, so when we are wealthy we can reap the benefits just like you; of being greedy. We need to help businesses regain strength in America to create dead end opportunities with minimal if not null benefits to continue maximizing the profits of its owners.

Please, continue to not repair anything that is unsafe such as seats, air conditioning, bad vibrations, and or alignment in the power units since these do not cause driver fatigue.

Also, regarding the sub-service and temporary help; please continue using these advantages since it also maximizes profits and overall helps its stockholders.

Sincerely,

Richard Izenyu [Is-in-you]

Why are you hating on the Republicans?? Did Obama give you some of his OBAMA STASH or maybe Weiner tweeted you some pictures.

you don't need a union to have unity. if we, the employees, stuck together and told management "bullsh!t, we aint taking your crap anymore" it would have an affect. they can't fire everyone. as much as they like to treat drivers like a necessary evil they have no business without us. but then again we can't seem to keep guys from ratting everyone else out for small stuff like forgetting to unplacard an empty trailer. I have never in my life worked with so many company suck ass, tattle tale, kool aide drinking "men". if you've figured out who I am you know I'm not one of the lazy whiners, but my God what ever happened to "eyes n ears open, mouth shut"? unless it's for stealing, or something that's really going to harm someone.

Why are you hating on the Republicans?? Did Obama give you some of his OBAMA STASH or maybe Weiner tweeted you some pictures.

Unfortunately, unions have been a thorn in the sides of Republicans for sure since the 80’s. Historically in Republican’s have stripped away most labor laws that protect people like you and me. Deregulation perhaps made more people wealthy. Although in the long run it has hurt us as a society. If you take all regulation away for instance, companies can sell anything to you weather or not it has been tested. Look at all the e-coli break outs in the food industry. Even though USDA does still exist, there are more companies than inspectors. How about the SEC, DOT, or FERC. No one wants to pay taxes. If you want to be protected its a necessary evil. When you test your hamburger let me know how it turned out, cause I don’t have the time nor the money to test it myself.

Reagan helped start to dismantle labor unions with the firing of the air traffic controllers. If everyone like the electrical unions for example and everyone else that was in a union during that time went on strike we wouldn’t be pushed around now.

Republicans historically also help businesses get tax breaks amongst other things. Why can’t I get a tax break? I don’t know anyone person in my earnings bracket who voted Republican that was given anything they were promised. They only give breaks to the top. If I made more than $250,000 I might change my mind. However at the current employer I don’t see that as a possibility.

Although the free market society is great on paper, but there is nothing free about it. You and I continue to pay. If you think its bad now, just wait. Corporatism is right around the corner if its not already here. Corporatism to me is legalized crime. Just look at the banks. Now all the right wingers are blaming you and I for buying that house we couldn’t afford, but Wall Street allowed it to happen. If there was regulation, again it would have been tougher to pillage the American people. The only reason its not happening now is to many people have their eyes on them. If you donate enough money you can control who ever you want.

However, I can’t disagree with you that both sides are full of crooks. That’s a problem and a discussion itself.

you don't need a union to have unity. if we, the employees, stuck together and told management "bullsh!t, we aint taking your crap anymore" it would have an affect. they can't fire everyone. as much as they like to treat drivers like a necessary evil they have no business without us. but then again we can't seem to keep guys from ratting everyone else out for small stuff like forgetting to unplacard an empty trailer. I have never in my life worked with so many company suck ass, tattle tale, kool aide drinking "men". if you've figured out who I am you know I'm not one of the lazy whiners, but my God what ever happened to "eyes n ears open, mouth shut"? unless it's for stealing, or something that's really going to harm someone.

That is very true... However this organization has done its best to teach us its "Everyman for himself."

Wall Street were the fat cats.. Along with the banks, the mortgage companies were the ones who made the credit disappear by manufacturing ideas to "****" their customers. Interest only loans, are you kidding me? These companies were playing with everyone's "America's Dream." Greed from Wall Street alway down to the buyer was greedy. Now drive down your street and look at all the houses that are vacant. Along with that look were are all the jobs? We live in a material society. Weather or not you believe it's true. In God We Trust all others pay cash.

it just keeps getting deeper

Do a little research, "Hierarchy of Human Need".

there exists two distinct groups in anything that involves being human and human needs.
your age will help decide which group you fall into;
a) I'm entitled to it because I want it
b) I'm entitled to it because I earned it

it's like my kid followed me to work and won't leave

Unfortunately, unions have been a thorn in the sides of Republicans for sure since the 80’s. Historically in Republican’s have stripped away most labor laws that protect people like you and me. Deregulation perhaps made more people wealthy. Although in the long run it has hurt us as a society. If you take all regulation away for instance, companies can sell anything to you weather or not it has been tested. Look at all the e-coli break outs in the food industry. Even though USDA does still exist, there are more companies than inspectors. How about the SEC, DOT, or FERC. No one wants to pay taxes. If you want to be protected its a necessary evil. When you test your hamburger let me know how it turned out, cause I don’t have the time nor the money to test it myself.

Last time i looked there are still federal labor laws in place. If you feel there is an unsafe workplace or violations call OSHA.

There are still plenty of regulations enforced. Most companies will not put themselves at risk by putting inferior products to market. Do you think that the USDA ever tested every piece of beef sold in the US?

Reagan helped start to dismantle labor unions with the firing of the air traffic controllers. If everyone like the electrical unions for example and everyone else that was in a union during that time went on strike we wouldn’t be pushed around now.

The air traffic controllers went on an illegal strike and were told to report back to work within 48 hours. There was a no strike clause in the contract. they wanted a $10000 a year raise, and to only work 4 days/32 hour instead of a 5/40. Police and firefighters have a no strike clause in their contracts too.

Republicans historically also help businesses get tax breaks amongst other things. Why can’t I get a tax break? I don’t know anyone person in my earnings bracket who voted Republican that was given anything they were promised. They only give breaks to the top. If I made more than $250,000 I might change my mind. However at the current employer I don’t see that as a possibility.

Both Bush and Reagan reduced tax rates. And tax breaks for the rich: The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per*cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes.

Although the free market society is great on paper, but there is nothing free about it. You and I continue to pay. If you think its bad now, just wait. Corporatism is right around the corner if its not already here. Corporatism to me is legalized crime. Just look at the banks. Now all the right wingers are blaming you and I for buying that house we couldn’t afford, but Wall Street allowed it to happen. If there was regulation, again it would have been tougher to pillage the American people. The only reason its not happening now is to many people have their eyes on them. If you donate enough money you can control who ever you want.

However, I can’t disagree with you that both sides are full of crooks. That’s a problem and a discussion itself.

Opposite of a free market would be communism.

Whose fault is it if you buy something you can't afford??? I myself blame a homeowner who buys too much house.
Take a look at The National Homeownership Strategy that began in 1994.

Yes many banks are guilty. I dont believe we should have bailed them out

Wall Street were the fat cats.. Along with the banks, the mortgage companies were the ones who made the credit disappear by manufacturing ideas to "****" their customers. Interest only loans, are you kidding me? These companies were playing with everyone's "America's Dream." Greed from Wall Street alway down to the buyer was greedy. Now drive down your street and look at all the houses that are vacant. Along with that look were are all the jobs? We live in a material society. Weather or not you believe it's true. In God We Trust all others pay cash.

You are responsible for your own decisions. If someone offers you an interest only loan, you don't have to take it. I could have bought a bigger house, but I chose to buy one I could still afford if things got a little tight.