XPO | Just quit UPS feeders to come here

I'd bet any Denver ltl road driver running 5 days a week is making over $100,000 a year. Those guys run far due to how isolated that area is.
Most ltls have hubs in that city which should mean day runs are a possibility with enough seniority.
UPS feeder is as good as it gets for a company driver but I would not want a few more years of OTR in my future. It's easy to say leaving UPS was a mistake when you're not the one who has to go through it all. Team driving blows. Prison cells offer more room for 2 people. I never understood people who did it that weren't married or a couple in a relationship.
I know one person who ran UPS team then became a solo feeder. I can't remember how long it took but it was well over 5 years before he got out of that sleeper. After that it was nothing but night work for at least 10 years. I lost touch with that guy so I don't really know how it worked out.
We're in the slowest time of year for ltl and this year is worst than average. Ride it out as freight levels will increase. As the new guy you're sure to have a tough time getting work for the next 2 or 3 months. If they do keep you busy until spring you probably made your choice at a good time.
Well the Denver area is a good place to be a driver. No one wants to drive a truck here because of I-70 and Wyoming lol.Even with the recent slowdowns OD, XPO, ABF and Estes are all still hiring road drivers and some are giving out sign on bonuses. Even UPS kept on all the seasonals we hired this peak!

Now there's something I never heard of before. How many drivers would you say? Are they solo or team?
Also, is that XPO location a hub with road drivers doing day runs?
As far as I know they were offered sleeper runs, need some years in to run browns here. XPO has 10 day LH runs and lIRC 16 night runs; all 500-650 miles. Shortest run is Wamsutter, WY 542 miles

As far as I know they were offered sleeper runs, need some years in to run browns here. XPO has 10 day LH runs and lIRC 16 night runs; all 500-650 miles. Shortest run is Wamsutter, WY 542 miles
There is a really good reason everyone in Denver is hiring Road Drivers. Nobody wants to drive in the snow or chain up or be beholden to the weather in general. It's a brave new world out there for new truck drivers and there are only a few who want to deal with it.

There is a really good reason everyone in Denver is hiring Road Drivers. Nobody wants to drive in the snow or chain up or be beholden to the weather in general. It's a brave new world out there for new truck drivers and there are only a few who want to deal with it.

The mountains and the Great Plains are no joke during the winter. The ditch and ravenes are littered with guys who think they can.

Exactly, most guys don’t find it to be worth it. I’ve been running I-70, Donner, Lookout and Snoqualmie for years at UPS and having chains and a good deal of patience is a must. Sure ain’t for everyone tho
For sure. My balls aren’t that big, I tilt my hat to the guys that can do it day in and day out. Me on the other hand…I’d rather chain up on 6th ave vs vail pass.

I figured it was "you ****ed up," but who knows. The mystery may never be solved.
Take your choice...

Take your choice...

I will take door #2 Monty....

No truck driver wants that cost of living either lol

Being home every day while not working myself to death was my top priority. Money was a strong second, though.

Don't let them fool you, this place will work you to death also. Before covid hit, city guys at my barn were pulling twelve plus daily. Bottom bin line drivers drive about an hour away and get a good eight hours of dock daily (only time they get outbound dock money is in the winter when all the part time dockworkers tend to quit), plus a five am surprise via is never out of the question.

The bottom of the seniority list is a revolving door at most terminals here. So if you stick it out, you will do good, just not UPS good.

The drivers I know that quit here and went to the brown, all got a feeder gigs. The problem there was they were on call 24/7, and runs were not consistent. Those I still communicate with are now running teams.

Good luck buddy.

Last edited: