Yellow | Keeping our troubles in perspective...

Just glad to have a job.Right!!!!!:bouncy:

Yea, I get it, it's cool to throw out the "be glad you have a job" remark like it's some kind of a joke. The point is, anyone who doesn't take into account the current economy when making any kind of employment decisions is just ignoring reality. The information is out there, use it.

Yea, I get it, it's cool to throw out the "be glad you have a job" remark like it's some kind of a joke. The point is, anyone who doesn't take into account the current economy when making any kind of employment decisions is just ignoring reality. The information is out there, use it.

This TM down here at YRC has been begging me to come to work.. Got all my paperwork done and all.. But I found out last week, he only has 4 trucks and with me, 5 drivers.. He says his 5th truck is in the shop..I'm not going to work somewhere to go on layoff.... I'll stay semi-retired first...

Dont know what part of the country that is, but in NE Pa. It's booming all ltl & truckload looking for drivers along with all the businesses I deliver to are all looking for help....

One in five U.S. workers was laid off in the past five years and about 22% of those who lost their jobs still haven't found another one, according to a new survey that showed the extent Americans have struggled in the sluggish labor market since the Great Recession ended.

One-fifth of U.S. workers were laid off in past five years, study says - LA Times

kinda hard to make that argument for this industry what with everybody hiring and raising pay scales. YRC got themselves into financial trouble & workers bailed em out to watch nothing change except more bonuses. the fact they wont talk about is how many good seasoned drivers they are losing constantly. This may very well be what breaks them.

kinda hard to make that argument for this industry what with everybody hiring and raising pay scales. YRC got themselves into financial trouble & workers bailed em out to watch nothing change except more bonuses. the fact they wont talk about is how many good seasoned drivers they are losing constantly. This may very well be what breaks them.

Some in this business, call that "Rotating the Stock"..... It's the "new way" of thinking with all the micro-managing going on.. YRC isn't the only company that this is happening... Estes had 20 and 30 year guys dropping like flies when the kid took it over... They knew something, we didn't.. Now that it's here, you got the 14 to 20 year guys dropping... It's a cycle with this micro-managing crap...

ok so 22% have not found other job ? that is a low number & maybe they don't want a job or going back to school , point is that if you look at the Sunday paper under jobs there is alot of job ads , plus every truck line out there is looking for drivers , so I disagree with the YES voters & the local BA's that say we are lucky to have a job , but to each there own way of thinking !!! just remember even slaves had a job , its about the money !!!!

ok so 22% have not found other job ? that is a low number & maybe they don't want a job or going back to school , point is that if you look at the Sunday paper under jobs there is alot of job ads , plus every truck line out there is looking for drivers , so I disagree with the YES voters & the local BA's that say we are lucky to have a job , but to each there own way of thinking !!! just remember even slaves had a job , its about the money !!!!

22% a low number? You're kidding right? If they haven't found another job the inference is that they are looking for one, not going back to school. You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Your right - it's the best job you will ever have & no one will ever hire you.
I had that shoved down my throat so much I started to believe it.
Took me all of about an hour to fill the application on line for ABF. Got called the next day. Within 3 weeks of putting my application in I was hired.
To date we have about 30 poor ex YRC drivers from Cincinnati that had no chance of finding a better job working in Dayton now. I know of couple more going through the hiring process now. Driver supervisor told me they are going to be hiring the rest of the year.
Guys they are still hiring at most terminals. You will start out slightly more than you are making now & in one year will get 10% raise & your full pension back.

Dont know what part of the country that is, but in NE Pa. It's booming all ltl & truckload looking for drivers along with all the businesses I deliver to are all looking for help....

Your right - it's the best job you will ever have & no one will ever hire you.
I had that shoved down my throat so much I started to believe it.
Took me all of about an hour to fill the application on line for ABF. Got called the next day. Within 3 weeks of putting my application in I was hired.
To date we have about 30 poor ex YRC drivers from Cincinnati that had no chance of finding a better job working in Dayton now. I know of couple more going through the hiring process now. Driver supervisor told me they are going to be hiring the rest of the year.
Guys they are still hiring at most terminals. You will start out slightly more than you are making now & in one year will get 10% raise & your full pension back.

Yep, things are just rosy aren't they?

Dow down 240-plus amid global growth doubts

It is where I'm working.

There certainly are places where things are good, no disagreement there. As I've said in the past, you made a smart decision to move on. In general though the economy is not rebounding as well as hoped and many are still not back to full employment/compensation in lots of areas (not just YRC).

22% a low number? You're kidding right? If they haven't found another job the inference is that they are looking for one, not going back to school. You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Have to disagree with you on this as , 22% of 100% , means 78% found jobs , so to me 22% is a low number ! ! and how many of the 22% are really trying to find a job ?? so whatever you want to READ into it is fine , but I READ 22% as a low number . and 78% found jobs is a high number to me , but thats just how I READ it , so I am maybe WRONG !! but thats ok , I like being WONG !!!!

Have to disagree with you on this as , 22% of 100% , means 78% found jobs , so to me 22% is a low number ! ! and how many of the 22% are really trying to find a job ?? so whatever you want to READ into it is fine , but I READ 22% as a low number . and 78% found jobs is a high number to me , but thats just how I READ it , so I am maybe WRONG !! but thats ok , I like being WONG !!!!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The article specifically says they can't find jobs. It's you that's suggesting they're possibly not looking and therefore you're reading something into the information. In any event, if 22% can't find jobs that means the unemployment rate of that particular group is 22%. The way I see it, that's way too high a number.

I gotta brush up some herb I just spilled!

This TM down here at YRC has been begging me to come to work.. Got all my paperwork done and all.. But I found out last week, he only has 4 trucks and with me, 5 drivers.. He says his 5th truck is in the shop..I'm not going to work somewhere to go on layoff.... I'll stay semi-retired first...

Update: TM was not lying, his 5th ride was in the shop across town.. Found this out last week.. I agreed to come to work over there, because of the friends I have there... Now, if it turn sour, then I"ll shake hands and walk away.. But I found out after I retired from Estes, that I might have been a little hasty.. I still feel like I can be productive, I feel great and think I can help in the long run.. As I said, if it gets to be too much, the TM and I have talked and I told him we would part and hard feelings... I'm really glad I found out he wasn't lying, because that would not have set very well... So Monday. I become a YRC employee and I hope to deliver to the guys want they expect.. Thanks for all the responses and well wishes.. Y'all have a good weekend...