ODFL | Lay-Offs;

Food for thought...
I think some of will start getting called back sometime in the near future once they figure out they cut-back a little to hard. I also think corp will expect us to come back at entry level wages (start from the beginning all over again). Its their way of saving money.
When I got layed-off this week. Up until then I was running fairly consistant with good miles every week; as long as I stayied out for two weeks at a time on the wild board. So, what does everyone else think? Does this make any sense?

HAGO! and thanks to Daylight D. for the kind words in an earlyier post!

Oh by the way to all did you get those Promise cards turned in on time. Remember to stand on it!!

Well I best get back to looking for my new job.
Take care all and god bless!!

R/ Truck_Intel

I wonder if they were to rehire, a person would go back to their presently held job or the job that they had during the layoff. I don't think my body could do the sort and seg again. Age and running up and down ramps has a way of punishing your body.

I know of a driver at CIC that was laid off, then rehired as a part time a few days later, he's staying real busy from what I hear.

Well, I was a wild driver. I was told when I was laid off that if they were able to bring me back it would be as a P&D driver.

I would prefer line haul, but if they offered me P&D I would take it.

Already got my unemployment started, so thats what I'm doing for now.

Just have to wait and see if OD calls me back, or if I can find something else. I'll pretty much go with whatever happens first.

Good luck to everyone.

Just passing thru here . Former DHL driver here ,after 14 years ,thought I was going to retire there .
Just goes to show ,union or non union just go to work everyday making up your mind that you will do the best job you can and to push your company above others. But not in so much as to say that ,oh company X might be going out of business so you need to use us . But be a salesperson for YOUR COMPANY....Tell the customers the GOOD things about your company. If a customer sees that you really believe in what you're doing , and the pride you take in your job . It shows the customer something..

thats kind of ironic I worked for airborne express then dhl for a totally of 9 then I came here to od for the last 3yrs. dhl has finally gone to hell so count your blessings

Food for thought...
I think some of will start getting called back sometime in the near future once they figure out they cut-back a little to hard. I also think corp will expect us to come back at entry level wages (start from the beginning all over again). Its their way of saving money.
When I got layed-off this week. Up until then I was running fairly consistant with good miles every week; as long as I stayied out for two weeks at a time on the wild board. So, what does everyone else think? Does this make any sense?

HAGO! and thanks to Daylight D. for the kind words in an earlyier post!

Oh by the way to all did you get those Promise cards turned in on time. Remember to stand on it!!

Well I best get back to looking for my new job.
Take care all and god bless!!

R/ Truck_Intel

I was told that if your layed off. when and if things improve you can try to come back. however you have to apply just like a new driver and go through all the paperwork again. once hired you start back at the bottom of the board. because OD does not have a layoff policy. they may be calling them layoffs but officially you've been terminated. and all the new equipment has been a strategic move in anticipation of YRC going under. once yrc got the loan to keep them in business OD had no choice but to let people go to remain profitable. OD had a lot riding on picking up a percentage of the business even if only a very small percentage.

Welcome to the O.D.forum Laidoff from OD.The expansion was probably in anticipation of YRC's demise which nobody but a few bloodsuckers wants to see.

I glad you said that JIM Bob..I work for USF and I don`t wish anyone go out of business, I know it`s competitive market and all but I wish all work. Semper Fi my brother

I glad you said that JIM Bob..I work for USF and I don`t wish anyone go out of business, I know it`s competitive market and all but I wish all work. Semper Fi my brother

Thanks,some people just don't get it.....Hoorah.

With things happening, say if there is a lay off at a certain terminal, would the new people that have come through the driving school be laid off or would they be protected because of their agreement to drive for O.D. for a year to pay back the schooling cost.

Or would it be the discretion of the local T/M.

must be of the tm because he had a guy come from the dock out of od school and he took a lay off

I thought it was pretty funny that they said they went strictly by seniority but the guys that had combo got to stay on that had been there less time than me but I got axed. Thats not right if it went by seniority it shouldnt matter what all you have he should have gotten laid off too.

I thought it was pretty funny that they said they went strictly by seniority but the guys that had combo got to stay on that had been there less time than me but I got axed. Thats not right if it went by seniority it shouldnt matter what all you have he should have gotten laid off too.

combo? im lost.

combo? im lost.
Combo at OD means an employee who can work Dock,P/d,[most common]or even linehaul.At my barn a combo guy can come in for morning break,unload trailers then make deliveries later in the day.If there's no city or dock work he can be on call for linehaul.A combo man is a T/M's dream employee,but its a rough way to make a living I did this early in my career to get my foot in the door.

Dock is a job class.Combo is another.Just cause they work the dock most of the time don't mean you have the same job class.They laid off in the dock job class.Some think it is fair and some don't but it was there choice.

Dock is a job class.Combo is another.Just cause they work the dock most of the time don't mean you have the same job class.They laid off in the dock job class.Some think it is fair and some don't but it was there choice.
Too right Moose,Combo is a different skill set to straight dock work.Many more responsibilities.

More layoffs at corporate,this is the second round for them I've been told.
How do they decide who to lay off at corporate?At least on operational side of the business it seems like measuring productivity vs. personnel nos.simple to measure, on the admin.side I would'nt think so easy.

it is decided by the size of the dept and if they can operate with less people than they have, everyone is evaluated.