Yellow | Layoffs and bankruptcies pile up in logistics amid shocking downturn

Please give us some examples of how management was “hamstrung by the Union” in making decisions. ABF has virtually the same contract and rules with the exception being slightly higher hourly wages and full pension contributions, and yet they turn a good profit year after year!!!
Bottom line, Zollars desire to be the biggest by purchasing other companies above market value with borrowed money at inflated interest rates put them behind the eight-ball with all of that debt.
That is on management……..not the Teamsters!!!
Nope...it was the meme....beat you to it Rollback.....LMAO

Ex, I (and we) point the blame where it is due. Damaged freight? Probably not a management problem. Freight delayed due to prioritizing "bill count" instead of service? Absolutely a management problem! Poor customer service as a direct consequence of that? Absolutely a management problem. I remember well one of my customers (and they weren't the only one by any means) who would utilize us to move pup-loads of their raw materials to their production facility. The stuff only made one bill on a pup trailer, so it would sit and sit and sit in Dallas because the "bean counters" were prioritizing "bill count" instead of moving the freight. About the second time the customer had to suspend production because their raw material was still sitting in Dallas, that was the end of utilizing us for much of anything.
When we were Yellow Transportation, we had our premium "Exact Express" with 99.5%+ on time service. If we missed an Exact Express, heads rolled. Merged with Roadway, and "Time-Critical" became the premium service. From 2009 onwards, failure rates were abysmal. We eventually lost a major airline customer because of chronic service failures across the entire country. That was absolutely, positively a management blunder. I could go on and on, but you get the point.
Agree with all that...

Please give us some examples of how management was “hamstrung by the Union” in making decisions. ABF has virtually the same contract and rules with the exception being slightly higher hourly wages and full pension contributions, and yet they turn a good profit year after year!!!
Bottom line, Zollars desire to be the biggest by purchasing other companies above market value with borrowed money at inflated interest rates put them behind the eight-ball with all of that debt.
That is on management……..not the Teamsters!!!
All of that is true, and because of those decisions/blunders made by Zollars and Company they needed to be more agile, able to quickly pivot. ABF's circumstances were different. YRC could not make the adjustments they needed to when they needed to. Thousands of disgruntled employees that they couldn't do much about because of union protections also hamstrung YRC's ability to save the sinking ship.

Your employer having a connection with Yellow doesn’t make you or your employer an expert on the situation. Love it when outsiders with opinions chime in. I said in another post. If you want facts listen to the people that lived it.
DIdn't say I was an expert. If the fact that the signature on my paycheck was different than yours makes me an outsider in your book, so be it. Doesn't mean I didn't spend enough time inside to have a real good feel for the situation.

All of that is true, and because of those decisions/blunders made by Zollars and Company they needed to be more agile, able to quickly pivot. ABF's circumstances were different. YRC could not make the adjustments they needed to when they needed to. Thousands of disgruntled employees that they couldn't do much about because of union protections also hamstrung YRC's ability to save the sinking ship.
Yellow’s management idea of “being more agile, able to quickly pivot” time and time again was to beg the Teamsters to re-open or offer a sub-standard contract and convince the employees to take cuts to their pay, pension and PTO. So……again I ask you, how was management “hamstrung by the Union”? Yellow had no problem getting Hoffa Jr.’s team to agree to play along!!! The Teamsters had no control of Yellow upper management dragging their feet to merge all of the YRCW companies to make one company. After-all, isn’t that the point of buying and merging them all together as one? Now, over 15-years later, they decide it is time to begin the process when they have no other options and have burned thru a $700 million bail-out in three years time!!!
And then they ask for a COO’s (Phase 2) that violates the contract itself and is meant to supersede any previous agreements including the recently agreed to Phase 1 COO’s out west? The ink was not even dry on the Phase 1 COO’s and they already wanted to change it with the Phase 2 COO’s.
So yeah…..I will bet they did have thousands of disgruntled employees with this cluster f**k going on!!!

I spent plenty of time on various YRC docks and in offices over the years. They (YRC/ Yellow, Roadway, Reddaway and Bestway) were a client of mine or my employers' for a total of 26 years. Just not the last 4 or 5.

If you want to continue to believe that many of those "poor management" decisions wouldn't have been different if not hamstrung by the union nothing I say is going to change your mind.

Keep blaming poor management if it helps you reconcile all this. Doesn't make it true.
Just for the record at what capacity were you working for them? And what line of "expertise" did your employer perform for them?

Ex, it's pretty hard to save the sinking ship when the Commander and his executive officers are pillaging the ship's safe and boring holes below the waterline, then claiming they don't have money to buy corks.

Ex, it's pretty hard to save the sinking ship when the Commander and his executive officers are pillaging the ship's safe and boring holes below the waterline, then claiming they don't have money to buy corks.
I appreciate the visual created by the analogy. I see lots of employees throwing the corks they do have overboard. Some employees bailing water by the bucket load, while others are using a thimble. Some boring more holes themselves.

Just what I thought a corporate snoop. Hired to go in and collect data to report back to corporate. I would not be surprised if I am right.
Ha ha. A corporate snoop is an interesting title. If such job does exist, do you think they have a pretty good idea of what's going on even though they are employed by somebody else?

Company is closed, what harm is it to divulge now? Probably a top level management and can’t admit it.
Because my company isn't closed. I have other clients and folks counting on said company who may not share in my opinions. My opinions are my own, not going to divulge company name or nature of work which would make it too easy to identify.

Carry on. Debate the argument being made not the person making it.

Because my company isn't closed. I have other clients and folks counting on said company who may not share in my opinions. My opinions are my own, not going to divulge company name or nature of work which would make it too easy to identify.

Carry on. Debate the argument being made not the person making it.
Double top secret information. Sounds to me like another way Yellow wasted money on consultants. Looks like you’re company failed with its advice it provided.

Ex, I'll dispute your apportionment on this. In my book, Zollars and his BOD, along with Zollars' successors and their lieutenants 70%. O'Brien and his lieutenants 15%. The slackers 15% Percentage of 30,000 people who along with their families have suffered immensely because of this: 99%

Nope...it was the meme....beat you to it Rollback.....LMAO
Dang it!!!