Yellow | Layoffs and bankruptcies pile up in logistics amid shocking downturn

Yellow’s management idea of “being more agile, able to quickly pivot” time and time again was to beg the Teamsters to re-open or offer a sub-standard contract and convince the employees to take cuts to their pay, pension and PTO. So……again I ask you, how was management “hamstrung by the Union”? Yellow had no problem getting Hoffa Jr.’s team to agree to play along!!! The Teamsters had no control of Yellow upper management dragging their feet to merge all of the YRCW companies to make one company. After-all, isn’t that the point of buying and merging them all together as one? Now, over 15-years later, they decide it is time to begin the process when they have no other options and have burned thru a $700 million bail-out in three years time!!!
And then they ask for a COO’s (Phase 2) that violates the contract itself and is meant to supersede any previous agreements including the recently agreed to Phase 1 COO’s out west? The ink was not even dry on the Phase 1 COO’s and they already wanted to change it with the Phase 2 COO’s.
So yeah…..I will bet they did have thousands of disgruntled employees with this cluster f**k going on!!!
Suppose YRC had asked for Phase 2 shortly after the merger, like at the next contract negotiation? Would that have made a difference as far as the membership getting onboard?

Double top secret information. Sounds to me like another way Yellow wasted money on consultants. Looks like you’re company failed with its advice it provided.
Which would make him and his employer every bit guilty as the decision makers who hired him for assisting in the collapse. No wonder the quick reaction to blame the union. Classic finger pointing.

Which would make him and his employer every bit guilty as the decision makers who hired him for assisting in the collapse. No wonder the quick reaction to blame the union. Classic finger pointing.
I had heard at one time they had used outside firms to watch for theft of freight and suspicious packages crossing docks.
Who knows.

I had heard at one time they had used outside firms to watch for theft of freight and suspicious packages crossing docks.
Who knows.
Lots of companies do that. Theft monitoring, efficiency experts. Consultants don’t come cheap either. Had one hang around at a previous employer for a month and before he left he tells us we shouldn’t let the trucks idle too long. That’s seriously all he came up with. Money well spent. In Yellow’s case they were in no position to bring in parasites.

Lots of companies do that. Theft monitoring, efficiency experts. Consultants don’t come cheap either. Had one hang around at a previous employer for a month and before he left he tells us we shouldn’t let the trucks idle too long. That’s seriously all he came up with. Money well spent. In Yellow’s case they were in no position to bring in parasites.
It seems that Yellow used consultants quite a bit. My take on it is: if you have to rely heavily on consultants, what the h**l do you need all those managers for? And yes, I believe that statement is very applicable to Yellow.

Suppose YRC had asked for Phase 2 shortly after the merger, like at the next contract negotiation? Would that have made a difference as far as the membership getting onboard?
The Phase 2 that Hawkins was wanting violated the contract. My understanding is that Dock work being done by the Road classification would have to be resolved by re-opening and re-negotiating that part of the contract to present to the membership to vote on. Hawkins wanted this change of work rules done with a Change of Operations which is separate.
Bottom line, a Road Driver cannot do Dock work because it violates the Dock classification. No different than a Dock employee doing Road work because it violates the Road classification. Had Hawkins proposed a COO’s for Phase 2 as he did for Phase 1 without trying to sneak in the changing of work rules and mixing classifications, it probably would have been approved. Just like Phase 1 was approved. That is my understanding of what was wrong with the Phase 2 COO’s and why O’Brien and the Teamsters denied it. Could you imagine the uproar if it had been approved with the work rules being changed without first re-opening the contract and presenting the contract changes to the membership to vote on?

The Phase 2 that Hawkins was wanting violated the contract. My understanding is that Dock work being done by the Road classification would have to be resolved by re-opening and re-negotiating that part of the contract to present to the membership to vote on. Hawkins wanted this change of work rules done with a Change of Operations which is separate.
Bottom line, a Road Driver cannot do Dock work because it violates the Dock classification. No different than a Dock employee doing Road work because it violates the Road classification. Had Hawkins proposed a COO’s for Phase 2 as he did for Phase 1 without trying to sneak in the changing of work rules and mixing classifications, it probably would have been approved. Just like Phase 1 was approved. That is my understanding of what was wrong with the Phase 2 COO’s and why O’Brien and the Teamsters denied it. Could you imagine the uproar if it had been approved with the work rules being changed without first re-opening the contract and presenting the contract changes to the membership to vote on?
Yes Stew, I could imagine the uproar. However, the membership was never presented with ANYTHING by O'Brien. Because of that, everybody got pink slips. Hmmmm, any uproar there?

Yes Stew, I could imagine the uproar. However, the membership was never presented with ANYTHING by O'Brien. Because of that, everybody got pink slips. Hmmmm, any uproar there?
That is why it was never presented to the membership. Hawkins knew what he was asking for in the Phase 2 COO’s violated the contract. O’Brien told Yellow that they were willing to talk about re-opening the contract and possibly presenting these work rules changes to the membership, but that it would be August of ‘23 before they could because of the other three contracts that were being negotiated at the time.

IMG_2329.md.jpeg IMG_2330.md.jpeg IMG_23312f0350491fcc8562.md.jpeg

That is why it was never presented to the membership. Hawkins knew what he was asking for in the Phase 2 COO’s violated the contract. O’Brien told Yellow that they were willing to talk about re-opening the contract and possibly presenting these work rules changes to the membership, but that it would be August of ‘23 before they could because of the other three contracts that were being negotiated at the time.

Yep, except that Yellow made it clear we didn't have until August, which we didn't. Would it have made a difference in the grand scheme of things? Anybody's guess.

Yep, except that Yellow made it clear we didn't have until August, which we didn't. Would it have made a difference in the grand scheme of things? Anybody's guess.
Then Hawkins should have followed the correct procedure before requesting the original Phase 2 COO’s. If he had, chances are good that it would have been approved and done well before Yellow went out of business. O’Brien had no choice but to deny the Phase 2 COO’s that Hawkins presented because of these contract violations. Hawkins trying to force his will is what delayed this process, not O’Brien who was simply following the rules of procedure!!!

Nothing like finger pointing accusing the other of finger pointing. ;)

I've never once blamed this entirely on the Union. I have said, multiple times, that there are three culpable groups.

It seems that Yellow used consultants quite a bit. My take on it is: if you have to rely heavily on consultants, what the h**l do you need all those managers for? And yes, I believe that statement is very applicable to Yellow.
I agree. Consultants should be brought in for a very narrow project scope over a short period of time, otherwise hire a FTE for the task. Being management heavy or consultant heavy is not healthy to the bottom line.

Consultants are expensive in the long term, inexpensive in the short term. I tend to think of them as temp agency workers at the Director/EVP level.

Nothing like finger pointing accusing the other of finger pointing. ;)

I've never once blamed this entirely on the Union. I have said, multiple times, that there are three culpable groups.
I never pointed my finger at you directly. Just implied you were part of the problem. I hope your company cashed that check from Yellow before it went bad. I’m still waiting for mine.

You know better, submitting facts, it’s frowned upon on here by some. I don’t see that tombstone, where’s the tombstone?

I agree. Consultants should be brought in for a very narrow project scope over a short period of time, otherwise hire a FTE for the task. Being management heavy or consultant heavy is not healthy to the bottom line.

Consultants are expensive in the long term, inexpensive in the short term. I tend to think of them as temp agency workers at the Director/EVP level.
For 26 years your employer has consulted this company, though. Ride the wave until the checks stop or maybe actually try to make a difference while you were there. Like I said, part of the problem. Good job either way.

I never pointed my finger at you directly. Just implied you were part of the problem. I hope your company cashed that check from Yellow before it went bad. I’m still waiting for mine.
My company bailed on YRCW/RDWY/RETL when they became YRC. As it turns out I thought the end was coming a lot sooner than 2023. The company that I subsequently contracted with to provide the same services for YRC is on that list of unsecured creditors. If they get anything, it won't be before every employee that is due unpaid vacation time gets theirs. 👍

"Bottom line, a Road Driver cannot do Dock work because it violates the Dock classification. No different than a Dock employee doing Road work because it violates the Road classification." This ain't 1972. Doesn't matter anymore, anyone who's working is probably doing just that, if they're lucky enough to have found employment- Thanks, Meathead O'Brien. What a High School diploma gets you. A big mouth Meathead.

You know better, submitting facts, it’s frowned upon on here by some. I don’t see that tombstone, where’s the tombstone?
So your opinion is "fact" and contrary opinions of others are just "opinions". OK, I get it. :hilarious:

PS - Lets see you wear that tombstone medallion around your neck while you walk up to someone who lost his job at Yellow and still can't find decent employment. That meet up would make a great YouTube video I'm sure. :smile new: