XPO | Lean Six Sigma

This thread was started with all good intentions. I, for one am guilty as sin of arguing over points. Lets just drop our arguing and post our ideas for the Lean6 program.
If we all share our ideas, when the time comes, we can all write down the good ones on the appropriate form. If enough of us write the same cost cutting measures, the big wigs may listen and act.
We all want to see Con-Way Freight survive and thrive!
I will be the next one to post a Lean6 idea.
Read the next post.
Remember: no argument, no matter how much I disagree with forklift seat kill switches, lets put our brains in gear and give upper management some REAL cost saving ideas!:smilie_132:

Thanks Longtime....

I started this thread for the exact purposes you mentioned. You have said it much better than I ever could. I have a tendency to get a little 'wordy' (not that anyone has noticed I'm sure!!!:hysterical:)

I thought if we could give good viable ideas to the bigwigs then perhaps we could stave off some very bad ones. However it turned out to be more of a debate on the merits of a given suggestion than just random ideas. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that...just wasn't the original intent.

Don't let the "guilty as sin" arguing over points beat you up...you have lots of good company (myself included!!!):duh:

Thanks again...

Rat :loser:

Thanks Longtime....

I started this thread for the exact purposes you mentioned. You have said it much better than I ever could. I have a tendency to get a little 'wordy' (not that anyone has noticed I'm sure!!!:hysterical:)

I thought if we could give good viable ideas to the bigwigs then perhaps we could stave off some very bad ones. However it turned out to be more of a debate on the merits of a given suggestion than just random ideas. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that...just wasn't the original intent.

Don't let the "guilty as sin" arguing over points beat you up...you have lots of good company (myself included!!!):duh:

Thank again!

:hide: Let the ideas roll! No argument, no rebuttal:smilie_132:

:hide: My idea: Do something with pallets and busted up plywood besides paying some company to haul them to the landfill.
At my barn, probably 80% of the dumpster is filled with wood.
There is a local company that would provide a free dumpster if we would place only wood in it.
Why do we pay to have it hauled away?:smilie_132:

I would be in the face of the SCM with that idea....pay nobody to haul away wood...too many people will do it for free...if he doesn't respond, call up the chain...

I would be in the face of the SCM with that idea....pay nobody to haul away wood...too many people will do it for free...if he doesn't respond, call up the chain...

:hide: Box, you are on the left coast,we are in the middle of the right coast' just barely being green!
Lets give Obama,yo Mama, and, Osamma, the same conderation::smilie_132:

Thinking Outside The Box

We are going to have to think outside the box!!! What works at some svc centers may not work for all . Its all about getting the job done the best way for con-way and the customer, Conway has to listen to the people who do the job everyday. People are there best assett!!!! KISS
stands for KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID it works if you apply it to the process

We are going to have to think outside the box!!! What works at some svc centers may not work for all . Its all about getting the job done the best way for con-way and the customer, Conway has to listen to the people who do the job everyday. People are there best assett!!!! KISS
stands for KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID it works if you apply it to the process
Finally someone who gets it. What may work back East probably won't work out West. Same goes for Mid-West. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, it just a fact. Why keep trying to shove East Coast or Mid-West ways of doing things down Western customers throats or visa-versa. Let each Region decide what's best for them to get the job done right the first time.

Our serviced center recently installed lights in the bathrooms, lesser used offices, large storage space and a few spots in the shop with motion sensors to keep lights off. Replaced all the dock lights/bulbs with some sort of high efficiency models and turned off the heat to the bathrooms (OK I guess it was just turned down pretty low, probably 55 or so)

Don't know what the initial layouts were, so in the climate of today it might not fly but in the long run might be something to kick around at other terminals,

I think the motion detector switches would be relatively cheap.

Our serviced center recently installed lights in the bathrooms, lesser used offices, large storage space and a few spots in the shop with motion sensors to keep lights off. Replaced all the dock lights/bulbs with some sort of high efficiency models and turned off the heat to the bathrooms (OK I guess it was just turned down pretty low, probably 55 or so)

Don't know what the initial layouts were, so in the climate of today it might not fly but in the long run might be something to kick around at other terminals,

I think the motion detector switches would be relatively cheap.

Those motion detector light switches are neat. ...... Except in the bathroom. If you sit in the stall for more then a minute, and sometimes people need to, the motion detector doesn't know you're still in there - behind that steel stall door, and it shuts down the lights. There are no windows and it gets dark making any unfinished paper work a challenge.

If you need "paper" in the stall, you need to start bringing your own from home. We will not be providing bathroom tissue at company expense any longer.

If you need "paper" in the stall, you need to start bringing your own from home. We will not be providing bathroom tissue at company expense any longer.

Even in the coin-op stalls???

Me too, but let's keep that as our little secret. We don't want our leaders to know that we like it.

:hide: Funny that you mentioned this. Big article in the paper today about how the biggest city in my area is going about cutting expenses due to the short fall in city revenues.
One of the cuts is, city will no longer provide tissues for employees. They will have to bring their own from home.
Let the tissue wars begin! :smilie_132:

:hide: I can picture it in my sick little mind!
Stall to stall conversation:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....AAAAAAH!
Hey Joe, I'll give you $1.00 for 20 squares of paper, I've over shot my allowance!
Joe: Man, I don't think so! Mine is a work in progress.
C'mon Joe, I really need some paper.
Joe: You should have thought of that before you left home!
I did, but due to unforeseen circumstances, my roll runneth empty.
Joe: OK, $2.00 for 20 squares!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....AAAAAAH! DEAL!:smilie_132:

:hide: Funny that you mentioned this. Big article in the paper today about how the biggest city in my area is going about cutting expenses due to the short fall in city revenues.
One of the cuts is, city will no longer provide tissues for employees. They will have to bring their own from home.
Let the tissue wars begin! :smilie_132:
:hide:
We have one guy that would probably have to take a bank loan out if Con-Way quit providing TP! :smilie_132:

Energy saving

We have a pallet company near us that chips used wood into mulch. This is far better than loading broken pallets in a dumpster for a landfil.

Here is a very simple idea: turn off computers at night (at smaller locations) and on the weekend. The old CRT mointors (which need to be upgraded with power saving LCD units) usea lot of power and create a lot of heat. This increases the A/C bill.

Also, how about turnin goff lights over the weekend. I have seen centers leave on all the dock lights and all the office lights all weekend.

How about recycling paper. This is environmentally freindly. There is a local company that places dumpsters at churches and schools. We could recycle out paper and have employees bring paper from home. The money raised for the paper sale could be donated to United Way. A two way win-win.

Not all of these ideas are money saving. Some simply save the environment.

We have a pallet company near us that chips used wood into mulch. This is far better than loading broken pallets in a dumpster for a landfil.

Here is a very simple idea: turn off computers at night (at smaller locations) and on the weekend. The old CRT mointors (which need to be upgraded with power saving LCD units) usea lot of power and create a lot of heat. This increases the A/C bill.

Also, how about turnin goff lights over the weekend. I have seen centers leave on all the dock lights and all the office lights all weekend.

How about recycling paper. This is environmentally freindly. There is a local company that places dumpsters at churches and schools. We could recycle out paper and have employees bring paper from home. The money raised for the paper sale could be donated to United Way. A two way win-win.

Not all of these ideas are money saving. Some simply save the environment.

I know of an SCM that did all that stuff you mentioned. He had the best operating ratio in the region. What happened to the SCM you ask ? They closed his terminal and made him an FOM at another terminal.

I know of an SCM that did all that stuff you mentioned. He had the best operating ratio in the region. What happened to the SCM you ask ? They closed his terminal and made him an FOM at another terminal.

I guess he didn't consult with the crystal palace before he saved us all of that money, huh? :smilie_132: