ABF | Locked Trailers

Back in my day at abf you would not want to get your run cleaned-up to early,our you would not be on your way home until 9:00 or 10:00 at night.(there 2-sides to every story.)

retired brother teamster.
We have 4 guys working so I don't get to go home till the work is covered. Maybe that's 6 hours and maybe that's 14 hours. Its 14 more often that its 6 so I don't complain when the days are short.

Just another reason your local union rep. Should be pushing to hire more drivers.this type of work load is totaly uncalled for.

Brother teamster forever.

Just another reason your local union rep. Should be pushing to hire more drivers.this type of work load is totaly uncalled for.

Man you got that right! But either we do it or they have to shut it down because noone who can pass the background check wants to work here.
My terminal manager is hoping that a guy just out of trucking school will be approved(slim chance). But there are a couple of guys who seem to be qualified that are in process right now. If thing go like they are supposed to go we will need 2 more guys to keep up. Unfortunately we still have those days where we only need three guys once in a while.

Only four guys carrying a terminal? That's lot of overhead for four guys. How many office workers are there?

Only four guys carrying a terminal? That's lot of overhead for four guys. How many office workers are there?
Uuummm....well... since its us.....4 we do a lot of the office work. The only person who is not a teamster that does office work there is the TM.
We image bills print/retrieve DRs stuff like that. The TM does the managment of the terminal type stuff and sales. The dispatcher who is in Indy does the appointments and dispatcher stuff that can be done remotely. Its like that for the other small terminals around here also. (Lafayette, Terrehaute.)
We also have a UE driver who helps out on the dock when he comes in at night and sometimes when he gets back in the morning. So I guess that really makes 5 guys.
Life at a satellite terminal is very little like life at a larger one.

I think so too. BS factor is very low here.
Understood! Don't take long the TM understands the place don't work right without the grunts.....and to be perfectly honest I learned the TM was important too. Many on both sides never get that experience.

I sure am glad i retired in 2003,sounds like your people are really getting the hose.

Brother teamster for-ever.

Don't even know if ABF has a hose but anybody working for YRC has seen it. Even the IBT likes to borrow it once in awhile.

When i had my run in the ind.park i had a 48fter west coast wih roll-up door,tamdams on the rear.i kept my door up all day long.never had a problem with tm or sales people saying any thing.did my work and we had no problems.i guess those day a gone.now they follow you around all day filming you stealing 2mins. Here and 4mins.there,end of day your canned.

It a different world now.
At Roadway Albuquerque, we had maybe 25 Teamsters and for about four years we worked a great deal of the time without supervision before the merger. The inbound shift started at noon Sunday and from then until 4am Monday we were on our own. The rest of the week the inbound and outbound shifts were run by Teamsters. Most of us got along. There were some complaints.
We were not the only Roadway terminal that was doing this.

At Roadway Albuquerque, we had maybe 25 Teamsters and for about four years we worked a great deal of the time without supervision before the merger. The inbound shift started at noon Sunday and from then until 4am Monday we were on our own. The rest of the week the inbound and outbound shifts were run by Teamsters. Most of us got along. There were some complaints.
We were not the only Roadway terminal that was doing this.
It works well most of the time. If we were to run it where us teamsters only did our job(moving freight and leaving the planning and decision making to management) then it just would not function and they would have to shut it down.

It works well most of the time. If we were to run it where us teamsters only did our job(moving freight and leaving the planning and decision making to management) then it just would not function and they would have to shut it down.
At Roadway Albuquerque the work got done without supervisors and it was interesting and at times fun. Plus, we kept Teamsters working.

now they follow you around all day filming you stealing 2mins. Here and 4mins.there,end of day your canned.

How dare they fire you for stealing time !! I sure would not complain if they took 2 mins. here and 4 mins. there off my check.

When i had my run in the ind.park i had a 48fter west coast wih roll-up door,tamdams on the rear.i kept my door up all day long.never had a problem with tm or sales people saying any thing.did my work and we had no problems.i guess those day a gone.now they follow you around all day filming you stealing 2mins. Here and 4mins.there,end of day your canned.

I haven't seen or heard of this happening and I suspect that if it does there would be more to the story.

ABF is known for having swing doors on their pups in which they use a lot for city p&d . For security reasons thats the worst kinda trailer to use . By the time a driver walks back to the tractor he can be robbed blind plus he can be set up as well if someone throws some contraband in the trailer . Years ago b/4 Carolina was taken over a city driver pulled out of a dock in Chicago and while he was closing the swing doors a car ran into this poor guy and cut his legs off on the ICC bar and he died there in the street . Just wonder how ABF is handling the swing door problem ?