ODFL | long trailers 33' friend or foe ?

10mm

TB Lurker
Credits
was looking at fed ex post. they had a possible problem for labor. will 33' trailers take away jobs or maybe cutting runs ? that is 8'(usable deck) taken off a set of 28's... pro or con ????:idunno:

was looking at fed ex post. they had a possible problem for labor. will 33' trailers take away jobs or maybe cutting runs ? that is 8'(usable deck) taken off a set of 28's... pro or con ????:idunno:
Well,the space will be add'd.But,weight still the same.Don't think it will affect us much.You got to figure the amount of 28 foot trailers we have.Even if they start'd ordering&getting 33's .Not going to make much difference.More 28's than 33's.I wouldn't worry about it.

Well,the space will be add'd.But,weight still the same.Don't think it will affect us much.You got to figure the amount of 28 foot trailers we have.Even if they start'd ordering&getting 33's .Not going to make much difference.More 28's than 33's.I wouldn't worry about it.
In Oregon the length for triples would not change. So we wouldn't have to worry.

In Oregon the length for triples would not change. So we wouldn't have to worry.
so they will not allow for the longer trailers? do you think they will change it? ind & ohio tollroads might allow extra length,but unknown how much....that will have a impact on the chi-har into east coast lanes and back to the west lanes(on what trailers to be loaded in these corridors)

so they will not allow for the longer trailers? do you think they will change it? ind & ohio tollroads might allow extra length,but unknown how much....that will have a impact on the chi-har into east coast lanes and back to the west lanes(on what trailers to be loaded in these corridors)
I doubt they will change. Idaho has longer length laws then Oregon. Idaho can run Rockies and we can't so we just have to adjust.

yes it will take away jobs, and/or cut runs. our boss wants to be able to run triples in 48 states. "3 trucks pulling 6 trailers, we can pull those 6 trailers with 2 trucks" = 1 less driver. so i am guessing he would be ok with ordering new 33' trailers

thanks for posting the "NAY" sayers report... all of the largest of CUT THROAT carriers in United States... lets take Pitt-Ohio for example.. all points east for Nalco chemical out of Ellwood City,Pa.. $50 a tote !!! we walked away from this type of pricing... bring on the 33 footers...
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE !!!!!!!

lol, and i'm guessing central transport dosen't want to use them because they would have to buy new equipment

apparently their(opposing carriers) cannot refute the stats on crashes... doubles vs tractor-trailer... their ignorance on the amount of room needed to turn dubs is soo funny... as far as the union carriers; they can make all of them even more unprofitable.. we all know that if the teamsters owned a trucking company it would go broke... no flexibility..:tribehasspoken:

It won't matter for a long time. How many 28ft pups does OD have? How long does OD keep trailers? How long would it take to replace even a fraction of the fleet? Maybe 5 years from now OD would have enough to run most freight on them. just a guess though

It won't matter for a long time. How many 28ft pups does OD have? How long does OD keep trailers? How long would it take to replace even a fraction of the fleet? Maybe 5 years from now OD would have enough to run most freight on them. just a guess though
all depends if you are the first person pulling the longer trailers thru a state scale house... we shall see.. the production of 28' trailers will cease...
all 33' for a couple years...

who will be the first to ask the question in the annual benefits meeting about 33 ft trailers? who gets the meeting first "KENNETH" LOL

No need to ask.My ? is what happen'd to our raise this year.lol.Just don't understand all the ???? on 33 ft.The trucking industry has increased tr length's has long has I can remember.I remember seeing the 1st 53 footer rolling into a place I use to work&thought that was long.lol..The 45 footer then went to 48..28 footer will no longer be there.So everything will 33 ft pup's that will be sold.

My guess would be OD'd would replace those trailers just as quick as Wabash could make 'em! Most of the pups would be just a memory in rapid order starting with the 589 series(that didn't get side skirts) and 780's would disappear almost overnight.Of the many things that could be said about our company"Being slow to react to changes in the industry"isn't one of them..