Holland | Losing Drivers

I wouldn't panic over losing a few days work, but if they ever want to get (and keep) drivers they need to keep them working. They wouldn't let me transfer without completely starting over, so I just resigned. I could re-apply where a live now, but since they screw the new employees over like this I'll never come back.

I wouldn't panic over losing a few days work, but if they ever want to get (and keep) drivers they need to keep them working. They wouldn't let me transfer without completely starting over, so I just resigned. I could re-apply where a live now, but since they screw the new employees over like this I'll never come back.

Maybe the quality of the equipment has something to do with it. Running from Hagerstown Md. to Woodland Pa I passed a New Penn. An old roadway tractor, the logo looked as if an 8 year old put it on and it was pulling a Holland trailer. Made that old Red Star I had look like a new truck. The white freightliner with orange rims on the front and grey rims on the drives and pulling one of those old yellow 53 couldn't compete with this class act. At least they don't put those units on the posters for Hiring.! Drivers put your CDL to work here and enjoy talking to the D>O>T> on a regular basis.

I don't know if it is what you saw or not, but I know they have been moving all of the old trailers around that they are replacing with the new ones. I think most of them have the tires singled out on the back though, so if it had all its wheels, it was probably just junk that hasn't been replaced yet.
Maybe the quality of the equipment has something to do with it. Running from Hagerstown Md. to Woodland Pa I passed a New Penn. An old roadway tractor, the logo looked as if an 8 year old put it on and it was pulling a Holland trailer. Made that old Red Star I had look like a new truck. The white freightliner with orange rims on the front and grey rims on the drives and pulling one of those old yellow 53 couldn't compete with this class act. At least they don't put those units on the posters for Hiring.! Drivers put your CDL to work here and enjoy talking to the D>O>T> on a regular basis.

Speaking of equipment, I was talking to one of the guys who got a new tractor and he told me that when he called in and told them that it would not pull in 10th gear at all, he was told it was because he was not shifting properly, he was told if he downshifts when his truck reaches 1400 rpm's he would not have this problem. He explained to them that with the trucks set at 63 mph they do not reach 1400, they run in the low 1300's for rpm's at 63. He then asked if they wanted him to run in 9th gear all the time so the rpm's would not go below 1400 and I guess after a moment of silence he was told the new trucks might have to be reprogrammed or something like that. Anybody else heard anything about this?

I have never driven one, but the GR driver I was talking to said they do a really nice job through ninth gear, he said they just have no power in tenth gear. I am guessing from what he said because you are running the rpm's too low to create power?
lol, thats all ive heard about the new trucks, that they are very clean, comfortable dogs!!

will the new trux do 63 in 9th? if so, awesome, at least you can hit a hill with some power. my international will only do 55 in 9th, and its not wound out enough to maintain momentum with big hills in 10th....i gets really old creeping up hills at 27 mph with the 4 ways on.....

I thought he said it was some sort of Detroit>Mercedes, but I do not know if I heard that correctly? I believe they can go up to 550 hp but are only set at 450? I guess that proves I am a driver and not a mechanic?
What engine do they have?

will the new trux do 63 in 9th? if so, awesome, at least you can hit a hill with some power. my international will only do 55 in 9th, and its not wound out enough to maintain momentum with big hills in 10th....i gets really old creeping up hills at 27 mph with the 4 ways on.....
Something must be wrong with your truck, that's real unusual for an Int. I run through WV/VA every night, and rarely ever go below 9th, unless I'm pulling close to 40k

Something must be wrong with your truck, that's real unusual for an Int. I run through WV/VA every night, and rarely ever go below 9th, unless I'm pulling close to 40k

i jus started writing it up, guys in my yard told me its had past problems with the egr valve, so im hoping to get it fixed soon, or get into something else with more power......i dont really want a volvo though, im used to internationals......

I don't know if it is what you saw or not, but I know they have been moving all of the old trailers around that they are replacing with the new ones. I think most of them have the tires singled out on the back though, so if it had all its wheels, it was probably just junk that hasn't been replaced yet.

It was a newer 53 and had all of it's tires and looked as if had been washed lately...I guess that that what caught my eye as I pass it going it the other way. It is good to hear that the new equipment is showing up. That New Penn was one mismatched ugly truck...you could leave the keys in it...no card holding member of robbers and hijackers Local 100 would touch it.!

It was 3 am Thursday morning and I thought it was a good morning to stop in and see the guys. Funny seeing that unit of mine sitting in the yard along side rolling junk alley. New hires of the last two years now holding an early bid...it took me over 7 years to hold one and it was yard/city. I know two more that will be at my place of employment in the up coming months. The turnover rate must be higher than they let on...the remaining top dogs now working along side of the newer guys on what was the bid to have...I remember how many men held and retired off of that bid slot. In fact that is how I even got my 1st shot at holding it for the first time. I could only stay for a little bit, so I walked right up on the rock to get to see the guys. They were telling me that they had been seeing new tractors passing thru and new trailers now and then.! Then they told me that my favorite dock walker is now no 2. in charge. I told them you have to be kidding.....No they weren't, the ass....that found out that I was in the hiring process here, went all out to make my life a living hell, then when I gave a two week notice it was all out war. I told one of the guys key your radio and tell the other spotter that I am here....that will give him something to tell the TM as soon as he shows up. I wanted him to hear it on the radio....! I had a family emergency at 9am. My son was dropping off the grand daughter and found my wife laying on the kitchen floor, he called the medics and called my manager to tell him of the issue. My OBC ( on board compurter ) started going off telling me to park and call home. As I was talking to my son I was getting messages to drop my trailer off of my back and to bobtail to the nearest store to my home...direct dispatch. Last message."..Drive safe...keep us informed on your wife's condition." After she was home and resting I took the tractor to the DC, to pick up my car. When I walked in the drivers room, The transportation manager was waiting on me...asking how the wife was doing. Told me that I was to take all the time I needed, and to keep him updated on her condition. The difference of being a person instead of a number...! Maybe I should thank MR Ware for telling me " if I can't do things his way that I should go to work some where else.!

I hope the wife has made a full recovery.

Your example is how a REAL company would (and should) treat their employees.

:1036316054:

I hope the wife has made a full recovery.

Your example is how a REAL company would (and should) treat their employees.

:1036316054:

After YRC / HOLLAND this is a whole different ball game. I just got a call from work, asking for an update on her condition...I was asked if I was returning to work on Wednesday ? The computer was showing me departing Wednesday at 9am. If I needed more time just take what I need.! I told them I would know more after the doctor appts on Monday, that I would give them an update then. Thanks flash...she is home resting now and will have a full recovery...just a little time.!

After YRC / HOLLAND this is a whole different ball game. I just got a call from work, asking for an update on her condition...I was asked if I was returning to work on Wednesday ? The computer was showing me departing Wednesday at 9am. If I needed more time just take what I need.! I told them I would know more after the doctor appts on Monday, that I would give them an update then. Thanks flash...she is home resting now and will have a full recovery...just a little time.!

Flash... I was back to work and got a call from my son saying that he had to rush her back to the ER. Again they gave me an in route location to drop the trailer, grab an empty and come on in.! I spent 8 hours sitting with her between tests until they had her stable enough to come home. One of the old holland guys that now work with me saw my personal vehicle gone and my tractor sitting texted me to see if everything was okay...! The guys here saw my tractor in and started texting to see if everything was ok. Then I started getting texts from my old holland friends...checking in on the wife. It was nice to hear from them, it helped me to stay awake since I had been up for 18 hours...and she was out of the room time after time for tests. At day break, I went outside to walk around and to get some fresh air when I got a call from a good friend from Holland checking in to see how she was feeling. He couldn't believe that they brought me in twice now, and instead of a letter for missing work, My TM will ask for updates on how she is doing and will allow me all the time off until she is better. She has several follow up tests this week...so I will be off at least another week or longer. She will make a full recovery but will be a slower process than what I expected at first from what I was told. The only thing I will lose is the pay while I'm off...family comes first.

That's right Griz. Those of us who have been around awhile remember those good old days where the company and employees looked out for each other.