New Penn | Lunch/ Dot Break at end of Day

1) Drivers operating under 14 hr/150 mile rule are exempt from DOT 30 minute non drive time

2) Drivers that need to run logs have to take 30 minutes of non drive time prior to their 8th driving hour...not 8 hrs of duty
Wait a minute. If you are stuck pounding the dock for 7.5 hours and they send you out into the street you must take a 30 minute break! It only applies if you have ANY drive time! If you stay on the dock no break required by FMCSA! As soon as you hit the street it goes by start time. Not total drive time! Let me know if I’m wrong about this!

Wait a minute. If you are stuck pounding the dock for 7.5 hours and they send you out into the street you must take a 30 minute break! It only applies if you have ANY drive time! If you stay on the dock no break required by FMCSA! As soon as you hit the street it goes by start time. Not total drive time! Let me know if I’m wrong about this!
Sorry to say you are incorrect...the latest HOS revision states the 30 minute non drive time requirement must be met prior to your 8th hour of driving not on duty time

Sorry to say you are incorrect...the latest HOS revision states the 30 minute non drive time requirement must be met prior to your 8th hour of driving not on duty time
Ok what did I miss? I’m getting out this December so maybe I just didn’t pay attention to the revisions. When did this happen? Anything in writing? Thanks for info, PJ.

Ok what did I miss? I’m getting out this December so maybe I just didn’t pay attention to the revisions. When did this happen? Anything in writing? Thanks for info, PJ.

The Non - Union Teamsters here at NP feel they can take lunch whenever they want. You confront them and they say, it works for me. Also they are in violation of the DOT 30 minute break before 8 hours worked. The Tm and Dispatchers are fine with this cause we are short Drivers , and they get what they need. I was just wondering if this only happens in Cranston , Ri
They have taken their lunch breaks at this terminal whenever they wanted since I've been here.
Dock guys or drivers.
And they were mostly all Teamsters who followed their pensions here from every big Teamster company and 5 or more surrounding Locals.
And many had many years as Teamsters.
Nobody ever gave a damn when anybody took lunch.
They came from Carolina, Red Star, St J, Roadway,APA,..wherever.
Nobody ever got written up for taking lunch at any time.
If you want lunch between the 4th and 6th...fine...take it.
If you don't take lunch at all...its your business.....it automatically deducted 30 minutes from your check wether you take it or not. If you feel charitable...its your loss.
Most dock crews took lunch together here.
I smoke so I'd break every 2 hours or so.
Now guys smoke all nigh long. That's not my problem. It's not my business. If management feels they have money to burn...thats their problem. If they write guys up for it, there's no real defense.
I don't need anybody holding my hand at lunch.
Some guys like being social or knowing everybody's business. Others break alone.
If you want to take lunch between 4 and 6 nobody will stop you.
Maybe you feel better pacing your dockwork differently.
Maybe you gave a set run and lunch between 4 and 6 will mess you up and miss a customer and make you move heavy skids around all day.
Maybe long ago when Teamster Freight was strong....and everybody wanted to get on the board....maybe then it mattered. Maybe when their was an abundance of drivers coming here, you could " force" them to hire more drivers or add more bids or change runs by taking lunch between 4 and 6.....but there ain't nothing like that happening today.
Nobys gonna give you a hard time about lunch.

The 9 hour bid has been in our contract forever...and is used to the max.
If we wanna nitpick about the contract...burn that page out first.
It's a mandatory $50-60 weekly donation to the company every week from those guys on them.

Last edited:
Young or old, It's always the new guys at my terminal. They are told over & over for years to take their lunches in the allotted time. They choose to do otherwise. That's why I have zero sympathy for them when management comes after them

You are exactly right. All HOS kicks in the minute get behind the wheel. You can work 70 straight hours on the dock with no lunches or break in work, & still be legal under the HOS. The minute you get behind the wheel, all those hours count against & you would have to catch up your off time to be able to drive. If you never drove that week, worked 60 hours in 5 days & took NO lunches, you would be legal under the DOT HOS. The minute you drive then your previous hours would go in to effect. I could be all wet behind the ears, but no violation of DOT HOS can occur or does, until you start driving. von.

Correct. If you start @ noon, you must tale 30 minutes no later than 1730 to 1800. Now, if you do not drive @ all during the day, this 30 minute rule does not apply. ONLY when you get behind the wheel of a CMV does this rule go in to effect. von.

Help me on this one. I work 9 hours on the dock & take no lunch break. Straight 9 hours. Then my boss need me for 2 hours on the street. Am I legal to drive with no 30 minute break? If I take my 30 minutes right before I drive, am I legal? I did not know I would drive until the last minute. What are my options? von.

Help me on this one. I work 9 hours on the dock & take no lunch break. Straight 9 hours. Then my boss need me for 2 hours on the street. Am I legal to drive with no 30 minute break? If I take my 30 minutes right before I drive, am I legal? I did not know I would drive until the last minute. What are my options? von.
Your best option is to stop drinking before bedtime...its obviously a bad dream (nightmare) since you are retired. Lmao

go to lunch for 1/2 hour then hit the street.
At Big R they planned on this every Monday morning! I’d work Sunday 10 or so hours on the dock and then take a second lunch!!! Boss was pissed but I was in control of the situation! There was no one else to go! Union said they couldn’t cover my azz so I told everyone that I refused to hit the street looking like I did after a 10 hour dock shift. I told the boss to call it clean up time! Nothing ever came of it!