FedEx Freight | Lunch policy

It's always been a FedEx policy. It was never followed at Freight and nobody cared. I heard road drivers at National had to take a lunch and that it was followed. The good thing is you only have to take a lunch if your on the clock for six or more hours. Driving, Hooking, dropping, and fueling don't count as clock hours. My guess somebody somewhere threw a fit and lowered their panties to get their diaper changed. So now we have to follow it.

We also had to start signing for our checks and can't get them until Friday because someone cried at my center that their check was in the wrong place.

At CMH we were told by lower management that we are to take a lunch. I have not heard this from upper management at the moment. A lot of people are not happy, to put it lightly.

At AF and Freight we have always been able to take a lunch break as a road driver.

What are you talking about zathlon,
please be a little more clear here!

Slackdragon said:
At AF and Freight we have always been able to take a lunch break as a road driver.

What are you talking about zathlon,
please be a little more clear here!

I think what he is talking about is the Sam rule that has been enforced on city and dock employees but not road drivers. It's that if you work outer six hours on the Kronos clock you must take a lunch.

At CMH we were told by lower management that we are to take a lunch. I have not heard this from upper management at the moment. A lot of people are not happy, to put it lightly.

If you are on the kronos clock for more than six hours, they will deduct 30 minutes for lunch, whether you are a road driver or a city driver. Road drivers working at a hub on the clock for less than six hours can take a lunch if they choose to, but do not have to!

Hope this helps

on the road or in the city if you dont take your lunch before your sixth hour you will be written up in GBO.

They are very serious about this,managers have been canned for adjusting kronos to hide lunch violations. I know in the city you have to take it between 3&6 hours,one minute off and your wrote up.

Wow you guys hear something from somebody else that they dont know nothing about and you think the sun is falling. Come on guys breathe in breathe out!

Look you will have to take a lunch at your 4 or 6 hour now if you are a road driver that what he is talking about........... just like National did. welcome to the new fed-ex national ltl o sy i mean fed ex fright....

If you have 6 meal violations in 6 months you will be fired.

They aint playin ! My next one will be a written.What throws me off is once or twice a month they have me come in a half hour earlier than usual and give me a 3 page manifest ! I'm still delivering at 2 pm and forget to lunch out by 2:30...my 6th hour.

How do i take a 30 minute lunch if I hook a set on the yard 30min., drive 5.5 hours that is 6 and take 30 when I get there. I am late for taking a lunch, but I dont want to be late for my meet point. And what happens if I run into traffic on my way to the meet and am delayed by 30 minutes, then i'm over. I am NOT supposed to be on a cell unless I am on the shoulder or off ramp shoulder , truck off , brakes set, and keys out of ignition. Then it takes central 45 minutes too answer the phone then i am 1 hour 15 min. late cause of a 30 traffic problem.

Road drivers do not have to take a lunch break.

From the memo: "All mileage-compensated drivers at Kiosk locations should enter their meal period times in the Kiosk or use the Kiosk to acknowledge they had the opportunity to take the meal period, as applicable."

So if you choose not to take a lunch, then just acknowledge in the Kiosk you had the chance to , but didn't. Simple.

If your a non-Kiosk road driver and you take a lunch, log it. If not, don't log it. Simple again.

First line of memo reads: "Hourly-compensated and salaried non-exempt employees, are required to take a minimum of 30 minutes of the clock as a meal period during each shift in which the employee works 6 or more hours."

Road drivers are in neither of theses categories.

The only exception I can see would be a shuttle driver that works over 6 hours straight on the dock. Then a meal period may be required. I'm not sure how that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've noticed yet again different centers operate different ways.
I have worked over 6 hours recently and not clocked a lunch. Time clock says I'm a bad boy and a sup will be notified and never heard a word from a sup.
I just apply myself to about 5 to 5.5 hours on the dock. That's enough for me any way.
Working over 6 hours straight for a shuttle driver is silly. That's to much " go getting " for this guy

I have worked over 6 hours recently and not clocked a lunch. Time clock says I'm a bad boy and a sup will be notified and never heard a word from a sup.
I just apply myself to about 5 to 5.5 hours on the dock. That's enough for me any way.
Working over 6 hours straight for a shuttle driver is silly. That's to much " go getting " for this guy

You'll start hearing about it now. Just for the heck of it work 6+ on kronos next week and get back to us. I agree many terminals operate differently but this isn't coming from the individual terminals. I got my pp smacked last week for 'lunch' violation.

I hear ya on 5 being enough for ya. But I know there's some guys around in the system that have super short shuttles that want 6+ on the dock.
There's some guys that come into LIT from real close places like Hot Springs, (HOT) Camden (CDA) or Conway Ar. (CWY?)
Shoot they don't get 60 or 70 miles a night total, so they put in big hours on the LIT dock to make a good check.
They may have to start taking a lunch in there now. I don't know if they do now, but they may have to start for sure?

But outside of deals like that most road drivers don't have to take a lunch if they don't want to. I never do.
I just eat my sammich going down the road and sweep out the crumbs when I get in.
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator: