XPO | My last day at Con-way

truckermatt

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey all, Today, Sept 25, was my last day at Conway, I told my boss i quit.

Now, the reason i quit was because i am going to continue my education, i am only 22 so its not to late to go back.

I love driving truck, and got a city position at a local small LTL co. that gives me a 7:30 start, so i can go to school at night.
Now, i tried to get this with Conway, but we all know its like pushing a boulder, it just don't work. They couldn't give me a start time in the city, But the could force me on linehaul.

But i am really excited, i have always loved school and feel i can make a difference when i am done. I feel its better to start now, then in 5 years when i am married with children.

I worked for Conway for 10 months, and have learned alot.

But like i said the main reason was for school and because they wouldn't help me out with my schedule.

See you on the Truckingboards.

Matt
:smilie_132:

Now, the reason i quit was because i am going to continue my education, i am only 22 so its not to late to go back.

I love driving truck, and got a city position at a local small LTL co. that gives me a 7:30 start, so i can go to school at night.
Now, i tried to get this with Conway, but we all know its like pushing a boulder, it just don't work. They couldn't give me a start time in the city, But the could force me on linehaul.

But i am really excited, i have always loved school and feel i can make a difference when i am done. I feel its better to start now, then in 5 years when i am married with children.

But like i said the main reason was for school and because they wouldn't help me out with my schedule.

Matt

They never could see past thier own stupidity:nutkick: :funky: Good luck and when you get out of school I hope you find the right career

Thanks, I believe that education is the future.

Now, dont get me wrong, I love driving truck, but as everyone knows, its a hard lonely job that takes it toll on a person. By the time i get married and start having kids, i will be done with school, and in my new career.

Hell yeah, I didn't know you were only 22. You need to be in school or you will be driving a truck for the rest of your life. If you get an MBA, you can come back to Conway and fire all of those people that you didn't like. (J/K) Good Luck.

Hell yeah, I didn't know you were only 22. You need to be in school or you will be driving a truck for the rest of your life. If you get an MBA, you can come back to Conway and fire all of those people that you didn't like. (J/K) Good Luck.

+1 on the MBA.... it can really open some doors for your career.

But i am going for my Bachlors first.... still unsure in what major though..... just doing general ed. right now.

My dad has his MBA and when he got his job he negotiated his starting pay and benefits... Like $110,000 per year & 6 weeks vacation to start.

Now, that sounds good.

education

Truckermatt; glad to hear your going for a college education. I would caution you though that a simple college degree does not garuntee anything. I've got a BS and an MS and my career fizzeled after about only 13 years. My older brother also got a MS and never really had a career in it at all. I've also met a lot of truck drivers who, for one reason or another, had a college degree, but weren't using it. Years ago it used to be unusual to be college eduacted - mostly the rich, but today its almost like its a constitutional right. That applies to an MBA also. I tried to tell my kids to go for what you enjoy not what you think you'll make a lot of money at, that way, even if you don't make a lot of money, you'll enjoy what you do - follow your dream kind of thing. So far it seems to have worked. They all seem to enjoy what they do and are making decent money. Just something to think about. Good luck.

Truckermatt; glad to hear your going for a college education. I would caution you though that a simple college degree does not garuntee anything. I've got a BS and an MS and my career fizzeled after about only 13 years. My older brother also got a MS and never really had a career in it at all. I've also met a lot of truck drivers who, for one reason or another, had a college degree, but weren't using it. Years ago it used to be unusual to be college eduacted - mostly the rich, but today its almost like its a constitutional right. That applies to an MBA also. I tried to tell my kids to go for what you enjoy not what you think you'll make a lot of money at, that way, even if you don't make a lot of money, you'll enjoy what you do - follow your dream kind of thing. So far it seems to have worked. They all seem to enjoy what they do and are making decent money. Just something to think about. Good luck.

oh, I totally agree, I am not going to school to become rich, (if it happens all the better). I am getting my degree because it know and feel it will help me set my self apart from the rest....

But mostly i am going to for myself, even if i never use the degree, i will know that i worked for it and earned it. And that is the best feeling for me..

Thanks Again,

Matt

I know Matt personally. His scm did not give him a fair shake. the parttimers where he worked were getting more hours than he was. From what I understand he was treated like a red headed step child where he was and I cant blame him for wanting to leave and better himself. I know he understands that just because he is going to get a degree does not guarantee anything but I know he will succeed. Con way lost out. I can honestly say that they lost a good young driver.

Good Luck Matt ........ I have faith in you!! :1036316054:

I know Matt personally. His scm did not give him a fair shake. the parttimers where he worked were getting more hours than he was. From what I understand he was treated like a red headed step child where he was and I cant blame him for wanting to leave and better himself. I know he understands that just because he is going to get a degree does not guarantee anything but I know he will succeed. Con way lost out. I can honestly say that they lost a good young driver.

Good Luck Matt ........ I have faith in you!! :1036316054:

Thanks wonderring99,

Like i said in the PM, i will miss alot of the guys i dealt with, And i hold no grudges against anyone.
Best of luck to all.

And the best news is that i will be on the Truckingboards so i can always share my experiences that I personally had with conway

Matt

Goodluck truckermatt, its to bad your TM didn`t give you a fair shake, but that seems to be par for the course!

well, i cant really blame my TM, if you've ever worked for conway, each terminal has a manager, who is basically a "rule enforcer" Now if conway really cared about me, they would have allowed my TM, to work with my schedule... and they after school i could have continued my career with conway...

but the TM's dont really manage anything, all they do is make their numbers look good.

well, i cant really blame my TM, if you've ever worked for conway, each terminal has a manager, who is basically a "rule enforcer"
That's so funny because it's true!!
Some terminals can pretty much run without them.

but the TM's dont really manage anything, all they do is make their numbers look good.

Again, thats true!:1036316054: (KEY WORD: Don't Really)
They also make sales calls to put out the fires they've started.

:smilie_132: Hay truckermatt who will be my rack ***** and steel racks for me from sector 3 . The Canadians will never be able to pull my trailers apart. Good luck in your endeavors .:1036316054: From the stacker of the grate white north trailers in XTM:biglaugh:

:smilie_132: Hay truckermatt who will be my rack ***** and steel racks for me from sector 3 . The Canadians will never be able to pull my trailers apart. Good luck in your endeavors .:1036316054: From the stacker of the grate white north trailers in XTM:biglaugh:

Hey man,

Ya know, I am always surprised at how many people are on this site that i talk to every day.

Cant help you with the racks anymore, but i am sure you'll do fine.
And i just found another, And i can confirm you identity, of what you profile says your occupation is;

"Dock worker with truck to get from dock to dock"

we talked about that one night and i remember it.

Aww, i will miss the good times at conway....

By the way, I would have said more at the reship about my leaving, but at conway, rumors can get you fired... so i kept my mouth shut... but, its not like i was running every night anyway... so i was hardly at xtm...

Good luck though, And thanks for the support.

Stay in touch- Matt.

Good for you! I hope things work out Matt. Just wondering when you started at con-way did they tell you what your hours would be this is freight company and hours you will be needed is 24hrs anytime your needed. maybe they didn't tell you that. Good Luck

PS stay out of trucking