XPO | My Personal Thoughts on This Event

I think this has been correctly answered, but I will say I wasn't told of any 180 day parameter for call back without loss of benefit...perhaps that rule varies in different areas..

Boxboss , Please accept my sincere
thanks for your participation on the
boards available here . I realise the
fine line you have to walk here to
protect your position . With that said,

The post you responded to here is a
prime example of the pitfalls of being
employed at ANY large corperation and
NOT just CNW .

When there is No specific policy to
refer to, and matters are handled in the
above way , it causes confusion ,
dissention , animosity , ect. .

This one example in it-selfe is why
employees , consider , talk of , or search for other solutions to remedy
the feelings of NO trust between upper
management and themselves . These types
of things only re-enforce the beliefs
of employees that they have only become
a number and are expendable for the
corperate bottom line regardless of any
past performance or sacrafices .

I respectfully suggest to you and
upper management that , if the lower teir employees were truly valued and
appriciated , they would be ensured by
management that when times improved ,
regardless of WHEN , they would be afforded the oppertunity to return to work with-out ,loss of ANY previously earned benifits .

Would you not agree , that if ,
this type of approach were used ,it
would truely benifit all ?

I appologise for any spelling
errors or format errors.

THANK YO

Boxboss , Please accept my sincere
thanks for your participation on the
boards available here . I realise the
fine line you have to walk here to
protect your position . With that said,

The post you responded to here is a
prime example of the pitfalls of being
employed at ANY large corperation and
NOT just CNW .

When there is No specific policy to
refer to, and matters are handled in the
above way , it causes confusion ,
dissention , animosity , ect. .

This one example in it-selfe is why
employees , consider , talk of , or search for other solutions to remedy
the feelings of NO trust between upper
management and themselves . These types
of things only re-enforce the beliefs
of employees that they have only become
a number and are expendable for the
corperate bottom line regardless of any
past performance or sacrafices .

I respectfully suggest to you and
upper management that , if the lower teir employees were truly valued and
appriciated , they would be ensured by
management that when times improved ,
regardless of WHEN , they would be afforded the oppertunity to return to work with-out ,loss of ANY previously earned benifits .

Would you not agree , that if ,
this type of approach were used ,it
would truely benifit all ?

I appologise for any spelling
errors or format errors.

THANK YO

I find alot of substance in what you say, and agree with virtually all of it.
To clear the air on something, I don't recall being told about the 180 day rule, and I may very well be the one in the dark here, so I am going to check tomorrow. It could be that everyone else is right, and if so, I apologize for not having my facts together..
Your point about being called back with everything intact is well taken, and we usually apply that with the LOA process during the slow months each year.
I think the message here, sad and hard to take, is that we may be heading into unprecedented times here, and rather than let people think this is a minor bump in the road, they chose to make a clean break and move forward...

I am not in a position to give you an answer for certain, but what I would say is take a look at the service center map...I believe when they closed the original 40, they did what they set out to do...In other words, every place they could eliminate the fixed costs that go along with maintaining a property, yet maintain the same service levels and standards for the customers, I believe was accomplished...I would be hard pressed to find another existing situation where it would make the same kind of sense..
But I am in the west...there are many others on here from all over the country who could tell you better than I where there may still be possibilities in the rest of the country...

I agree...look at the service center map in WI...so many small terminals in the central/eastern part of the state...one of those for sure is a leased and struggling facility and would be easily absorbed by nearby service centers.

well said.my opinion is that con-way has had way to many chiefs for so long it got used to that.when you have a 2 hand fulls of people doing 1 hand fulls jobs because your growing so fast,no one saw this coming 2 or 3 years ago,but when the economy went to hell what else was there to do?look at all the factors this company has to deal with,healthcare,i know we hired people not in the best of health,your asking for trouble (costs) that is to keep him or her employed.i know its discrimination not to hire someone because of there problems,but cmon,no one said you had to hire them.some of these guys wernt ment for this job anyway but stayed on for the check and light duty.i know im going to get yelled at for this but go ahead YELL as loud as you want.sometimes i think if your heart beats you can work here,WRONG, the slugs that cant move have no business here and are dragging the rest of us down. this company has been top heavy for a long time and its time to clean it up,sorry it comes at a bad time but so did the downfall of the economy.who knows how many R.M'S we have system wide? ill tell you to many!!i know of a person at xmp that had a job created for them because they were the R.M's secretary,cmon what a waste!! alot of stupid stuff going on when times were good but now??LOOK OUT, the hammer is dropping on everyone witch should have been done a long time ago,its to bad upper mgmt,couldnt have took care of this problem in better times,we all might be better off,in fact we would be better off.theres alot of money to be had at the top,maybe they should have started there a long time ago.I know im going to take some flack on this but i dont care,OOOOOOO Theres 3 more words i hear alot of out of the senior guys,I DONT CARE,shame on you for that attitude this company has paid you well and fed your families for a long time,gave you healthcare when alot of families dont have it,shape up or ship out as my mother put it.I wish all,happy holidays and sorry for the ones that wont have one due to job loss or laid off,it couldnt have happened at a worse time.Ive only touched on a few things that have gone wrong with this company and theres alot more. sorry if i offended anyone,but this is a time sensitive opperation and we dont have time for slugs that want to push there work on the ones who work hard already.Thats another thing is the guys that do good hard work seem to get tested and pushed even harder because the supervisor knows thy can get it done when joe blow just sits and watches,thats wrong!! Alot of thigs need fixen here and hopefully they can get fixed.Again sorry if i hurt anyone in this politically correct atmosphere.:chairshot::nutkick::TR10driving03:

Healthcare, healthcare, healthcare....i agree with the healthquality of people hired here. There is a driver in my region that I see often at reship...he is so large that once at reship he gets on a forklift, if he can fit(and yes he will ask someone to trade forklifts if there aren't any left he can fit on) and he doesn't get off said forklift until its time to leave, or go to the breakroom. He moves dunnage, writes bills and even opens trailers doors all from the seat of his forklift. Now tell me this....How does he pass a DOT physical??? And to those who will reply saying "maybe he has other health problems that cause him to be this big"...I say no....ask anyone in the area what his diet consists of...they will tell you how much food he gets at the truckstop every night.

Yes, the situation we are facing couldn't come at a worse time.....just before the holidays. I know of just one particular young driver laid off friday in my region. He is newly married with their first child due in Feb. He was an excellent worker and had a great attitude. My thoughts and prayers are with all.

I agree...look at the service center map in WI...so many small terminals in the central/eastern part of the state...one of those for sure is a leased and struggling facility and would be easily absorbed by nearby service centers.

The moves in Wisconsin were made with three issues in mind. First was to provide direct daily service to every address. This includes a strong sales presence everywhere, although AMC handled many points. Second was to maintain a workable bill count per dock door in the system, and not overtax the facilities, causing late departures. Finally, the primary competition at the time was Holland, and they had a system with long peddle stem times. The advantage that CCX could provide was deliveries earlier in the day to customers, and that was a focus of the sell.

There is an obvious need for cost containment, particularly today. However, in some strategic locations, it is vital to maintain this service advantage. I have been removed from this for some time, so I don't even know if the service advantage in that area even exist anymore. If it does, then the selection of service centers to close would have to be with that in mind.

My thoughts

There are some answers here that would ease the pain if they were addressed (By the way, I have seen the Monday video).

First, have any concessions been taken by the Directors and Vice Presidents? Managers and Supervisors do not earn enough as it is to take any cuts. The average FOS earns somewhere in between a top pay city driver and a line driver. They are told that they have in incentive to insure the profitability of the Company by way an increased ICP payout. Well, for the past few years the ICP payout for everyone would barely cover a decent night out. Concessions by the top management would at least give the appearance that everyone is making sacrifices, not just those at the bottom.

The economic terminations were done in many cases without regard to service to the company or to loyalty. In our case, we terminated three full time CSRs and kept three part time. The three had over three years of service each. They were not offered to become part time until things improved. Yes, the part timers cost less per hour, but they had not invested their life in the success of the company. In fact, in every case Con-way was a second employer for each.

Another point: the CSRs that were cut were not told anything up front. They came to work Friday at normal time. One by one they were taken into the office and given the “Your Position Has Been Eliminated” speech. This was a real blow to hear just three weeks before Christmas. Two have children that will not have a very happy holiday. This must have hurt like hell.

The same is true of the DSRs that were cut. We cut six and kept six part time dock workers. Each dock worker was working the dock as a second job. The DSRs that were cut left other jobs to work for Con-way and were not given to opportunity to move to part dime dock work or remain as Supplemental. We even cut an Apprentice DSR one week before his graduation. Now he has no job, no certificate and little chance to find a driving position. I’m sure he would have on as a dock worker until we needed more drivers if offered the opportunity.

Elimination the Southern Area was probably a smart economic move. It could have been take s a step farther and the company could have been run as two area like FedEx (east and west). This would have further reduced overhead. People in the Southern Area have always felt they were not liked by the GO and I am sure some will feel that this is a retaliation move.

Sorry this is so long. I have loved Con-way since the day I was hired and am hurt that this great company would treat loyal employees like this. I realize cuts were necessary, but some of the logic escapes my reason. I know part time cost less than full time, but give the loyal employees a change to salvage their career.

To Geezer

I absolutely understand your position and thoughts. In my time in the industry, I only encountered one person that seemed to relish the opportunity to give the bad news to someone who was terminated, for whatever reason. To quote from a line from a movie, he is the worlds only living heart transplant donor.

Many of the long time employees will say that the company is not what it once was. This is absolutely true, but not because the leadership is without heart or compassion. It is because the dynamics and structure of the organization can not be the same as it was when there were small, regional, growing companies. For months after the opening of CCX, the president would call each terminal manager, every day, for an update on business. This was easy, and neccessary, at the time, because there were only 11 service centers and no initial revenue stream to support them. Over time, this obviously changed, and he had more important things to do than contact every manager in that fashion. Once the system is put in place, you had to trust the system and make sure that the right people were in the field, carrying out that system.

There is no doubt that the system is now less personal from the top down. Unfortunately, that is the only way the company can run in it's current form, and as a publicly traded company, the share holders have the final say.

There's some very good things being put in place by President-elect for early next year. Things will begin looking up by March. Providing there's no terrorist attack.

There's some very good things being put in place by President-elect for early next year. Things will begin looking up by March. Providing there's no terrorist attack.

We'll see...He hasn't even taken office yet...if it were that easy, those things would already be put in place...

We'll see...He hasn't even taken office yet...if it were that easy, those things would already be put in place...

They're in place and will be enacted after inauguration. Providing the Pub's in Senate don't hang it up. Remember, only one president at a time.

I just finished reading on Obamas plan and I believe he is on the right track and you're right if the senate doesn't hold it up

I was reading earliar on this site about the health of some drivers that shouldn,t have been hired. I would also like to bring up the drivers that are healthy yet they will bring back a small pallet of freight with light boxes on it and require a liftgate service, when all they had to do was break open the pallet and put the boxes inside the door. I'm sure all term. have drivers like this and they seem to get a way fron this as a constant and are never questioned about it. heck sometimes they get promoted. I think mgmt. needs to look at this very hard and correct it. This co. was built on hard work, not on refusing to do the work