XPO | My Personal Thoughts on This Event

This may be somewhat off topic for this thread but here I go anyway.

Much has been made of the layoffs and terminations being carried out as an economic move, one designed to save money, correct ?

So too were the service center closings meant to reduce costs related to business ops.
My question is this and hopefully BoxBoss will opine on this, how can putting the "older tractors" back into service be a positive step toward the mind set of cost reduction ?

Bear with me now please. Am I correct in assuming that the costs associated with taking them "off the fence" and returning them to service will be quite high ? New tires {$400.00 x 6 = $2400.00, relicense cost, what ? $250.00, reinsurance cost ???, cost of oil, filters, heater cores{if needed}, basic maintainence {that has been ignored for the most part for a year or two as theses units neared the end of their previously calculated length of service}, not to mention the costs asscoiated with breakdowns that will absolutely occur, especially given the time of year they will go back in service.

Assuming all or most of the above is true then how can this plan be a ligitimate plan at all ?

I'll close with this thought, is there an ulterior motive associated with this plan or is it simply not a well thought out plan at all but more kneejerk reaction to bad times ? :USA:

I have read boxbosses post for awhile now, from what I have read he is the real deal. Like him I was a service center manager, I left in April, some of you know me some dont, I felt I was a dying breed as a manager, I cared for the drivers and I have touched many lives throughout the indaina, mich, ohio area...anyway I was with conway 10 years and I hated to leave, but after the first closings I knew my terminal was doomed, so I left and now I work for a company hauling milk, thought milk would be safe so far it is...Any way unlike boxxboss I never let anyone know my true job at conway while I posted on here I have used numerous different names on here through out the years...so boxboss my hats off to you and you sound like a stand up guy and I wish I could have met you while I was there, well to all my freinds at conway I wish all of you well and I hope that everyone and there families the best. If any of you want to know who I am, just pm bankrupt or myself and I will let you.....I miss my freinds from xcw,xcn and xmr and all the drivers that carried my sorry butt , it was great working with all of you

OK, It's been 24 hours since agreeing to refrain from being cynical on this thread. Though new issues revolving around economic terminations and our current recession are what this thread is about, other outstanding issues become entwined and I must say - it's unavoidable. I feel very bad for those directly and indirectly affected by our latest events, however I do see Conway's actions as arguably best choice. Though not to the degree they have chopped the salaried, I did expect it. 'Nuff said about that.

SuperT!!!

Please accept my apology for not responding earlier. We had six SCM's and out of those there was one that I really wanted to do a good job for just because I wanted to help the HMFIC. That's it, and it boils down to simplicities that are fundamental in motivating a work force. Because I wanted to do my best without ANY undo strain on company resources then I became cheaper labor. In theory, my good attitude would then make redundant and obsolete a huge percentage of our supervision as all I needed was to be assigned or dispatched and off I go. Management learns to trust me and I can learn to trust management. I think all will agree that people who care take better care of the freight charged to them and their customers.

Have I ever talked at Truckingboards.com about the benefits of mutual trust?

This approach affects so many facets of our operation including but not limited to production, claims, thefts, sales, health care, Worker's Comp, and other costs associated with excessive supervision, insurance, safety, and security.

Thank you for helping me when you didn't have too, for really listening, and for just treating us with respect. I miss you and we'll hook up soon.

Hope all is well.

Bank*

*no last names.

This may be somewhat off topic for this thread but here I go anyway.

Much has been made of the layoffs and terminations being carried out as an economic move, one designed to save money, correct ?

So too were the service center closings meant to reduce costs related to business ops.
My question is this and hopefully BoxBoss will opine on this, how can putting the "older tractors" back into service be a positive step toward the mind set of cost reduction ?

Bear with me now please. Am I correct in assuming that the costs associated with taking them "off the fence" and returning them to service will be quite high ? New tires {$400.00 x 6 = $2400.00, relicense cost, what ? $250.00, reinsurance cost ???, cost of oil, filters, heater cores{if needed}, basic maintainence {that has been ignored for the most part for a year or two as theses units neared the end of their previously calculated length of service}, not to mention the costs asscoiated with breakdowns that will absolutely occur, especially given the time of year they will go back in service.

Assuming all or most of the above is true then how can this plan be a ligitimate plan at all ?

I'll close with this thought, is there an ulterior motive associated with this plan or is it simply not a well thought out plan at all but more kneejerk reaction to bad times ? :USA:

I honestly don't have any argument for the things you list as associated costs, because I believe this to be true as well...But I also know that we haven't done a good job in the past couple years at getting the needed miles on these older tractors to retire them and the depreciation costs on the newer units is considerably higher...By parking those newer units and lowering the depreciation, we will cut that cost and in a year or so will be able to retire these others properly and have a considerably younger fleet moving forward...And that considerably younger fleet should save a good deal of money in the long run...so this process is probably more about looking into the future as much as it is the present...

Bankrupt....I don't want to quote your post, it is too long....I think what you are trying to say, is something my dad used to say, regularly....

"A Happy Worker, is a Productive Worker"....

Con-Way, seems to have missed that one....

:beerchug:

Bankrupt....I don't want to quote your post, it is too long....I think what you are trying to say, is something my dad used to say, regularly....

"A Happy Worker, is a Productive Worker"....

Con-Way, seems to have missed that one....

:beerchug:

Um.......why didn't I just say that?

Miss our conversations and your whitty intellect bank, you were easy to work with and so were most of the conway peeps, I treated you guys like I would my own family, it was hard to leave but the decisions that were being made for our facility from the upper side did not make common business sense to me and you know what account we lost because of it, anyway I miss my freinds at conway and some of you pm'ed my other name have quite a few on hear as you can see, and what you guys have said brought a tear to my eye and I pray for the ones that just got seperated , I cant even put it in words how I feel

Miss our conversations and your whitty intellect bank, you were easy to work with and so were most of the conway peeps, I treated you guys like I would my own family, it was hard to leave but the decisions that were being made for our facility from the upper side did not make common business sense to me and you know what account we lost because of it, anyway I miss my freinds at conway and some of you pm'ed my other name have quite a few on hear as you can see, and what you guys have said brought a tear to my eye and I pray for the ones that just got seperated , I cant even put it in words how I feel

I see you've taken to cross dressing again. At least your not dressing like Sam's mother. I remember when the city made you take that sign down from the front of your house that said "Bate's Motel".

I have a few questions:

Do you know how long this has been planned? (other than watching economic situation)

What criteria were the terminations based on?

Who were the actual people to determine who to go/stay?

Last, not a question: but I believe trimming dead branches of companies is the way to go but when everyone starts doing so -it adds to the bad economic flow due to people not buying but the basics. This causes shortages everywhere. Of course it's not that simple. I don't believe the unchecked credit/consumer spending of the years past were the way to go either, creating a false economy.

I don't know if we'll go into a depression but we are in a recession: back to where we should be in our economy. Without the false housing market, etc.

Many past societies have either survived and come out stronger or else fallen completely but have been replaced. I pray that we'll be the ones that come out stronger with better business/governmental practices.

it seems to me it was about money,these people in my area (managers+supervisors) were replaced right away with a lower paid lower tenured person.

I honestly don't have any argument for the things you list as associated costs, because I believe this to be true as well...But I also know that we haven't done a good job in the past couple years at getting the needed miles on these older tractors to retire them and the depreciation costs on the newer units is considerably higher...By parking those newer units and lowering the depreciation, we will cut that cost and in a year or so will be able to retire these others properly and have a considerably younger fleet moving forward...And that considerably younger fleet should save a good deal of money in the long run...so this process is probably more about looking into the future as much as it is the present...
BB, is it true that the State of California or Federal government gave Con-way a tax credit or some other type of incentive, towards the purchase of the new tractors? The cleaner, greener tractors, that would help reduce the amount of pollution.

Ca. doesn't offer tax credits for much, they just throw a ton of BS rules at companies, tell them if they don't like it to leave, and many do...then, after they drive all the tax revenue out, they raise taxes on those left behind...This may have been the feds who offered the credits, if anyone did at all, but I don't recall seeing anything about credits at all..

sincere question

when the order comes down from the top to the TM's to cut, are the TM's givin any choice on who goes ? do they get a list of specific name from the top or do they just say cut this % from your work force ? i know this may be a bit nosy and you might not answer this, if so, i understand, especially in light of those that got let go and may read this.
oh and btw ... im new here , i have heard good things about you

when the order comes down from the top to the TM's to cut, are the TM's givin any choice on who goes ? do they get a list of specific name from the top or do they just say cut this % from your work force ? i know this may be a bit nosy and you might not answer this, if so, i understand, especially in light of those that got let go and may read this.
oh and btw ... im new here , i have heard good things about you

From what I gather, they either have the opportunity to release those based on performance OR they start from the bottom and work up. There is really no other way.
As far a closing a location, that is based on profitability, empty miles, performance, location, service area and probobly many other things I am missing.

i mean do they say... cut 2 drivers, and 1 csr?
or do they actually send the names of who is to be cut?
you need to bring your average wages down 5%?
just curious cause we lost a great csr only because she had low seniority, but i think all the dsr's would have rather seen another csr leave... i know ..thats mean.. but hey , everyone wants a friendly voice on the phone, customers and drivers alike.

i mean do they say... cut 2 drivers, and 1 csr?
or do they actually send the names of who is to be cut?
you need to bring your average wages down 5%?
just curious cause we lost a great csr only because she had low seniority, but i think all the dsr's would have rather seen another csr leave... i know ..thats mean.. but hey , everyone wants a friendly voice on the phone, customers and drivers alike.

I think there's a percentage, and the manager figures how many. Or the RM has already figured it out and tells the SCM to make the cuts.
Either way, its not done in the middle, its usually from the bottom and/or performance.