FedEx Freight | New bid

Iceman00

TB Lurker
Credits
Any news on the new bid? We get left in the dark pretty much until bid day on whats going on. Anybody adding/losing runs anything major happening?

I foresee freight going the way of ground/FXFC and moving to a contractor model in order to not have to pay competitive wages or match benefits, especially after Walmart’s announcement. Get ready to see more flip flops and tank tops on our docks!!

I foresee freight going the way of ground/FXFC and moving to a contractor model in order to not have to pay competitive wages or match benefits, especially after Walmart’s announcement. Get ready to see more flip flops and tank tops on our docks

I'd say it'd be pretty enticing to shuttle run only centers/those staring at years of shuttle work. Might lose some people freshly hired on even at top scale.

I foresee freight going the way of ground/FXFC and moving to a contractor model in order to not have to pay competitive wages or match benefits, especially after Walmart’s announcement. Get ready to see more flip flops and tank tops on our docks!!
This will not happen for a couple reasons..

Freight has to many tractors to get rid of and a lot of money vested as a full company model

Most of these “contractors” DO NOT have hazmat. Is it easy for almost anyone with a clean record to get it? Yes, but imagine having to tell EVERY contractor that they need hazmat endorsement.. plus 99% of these sandal drivers barley know English or common sense.. let alone pass a Haz test.

Freight will SELL if anything before becoming a contractor model

This will not happen for a couple reasons..

Freight has to many tractors to get rid of and a lot of money vested as a full company model

Most of these “contractors” DO NOT have hazmat. Is it easy for almost anyone with a clean record to get it? Yes, but imagine having to tell EVERY contractor that they need hazmat endorsement.. plus 99% of these sandal drivers barley know English or common sense.. let alone pass a Haz test.

Freight will SELL if anything before becoming a contractor model
While I agree, and I note that we currently do not load hazmat on purchased transportation at hubs for this reason, some of said purchased transportation is definitely the flip-flops and tank-tops type of crowd already. Saw a dude at my hub get out of his sleeper tractor and walk into dispatch in his jammies the other day.

It should be like Ground used to be back in the day: Either dress professionally or don't get dispatched. Once upon a time Ground contractors had to make their drivers wear FedEx uniform apparel or else dispatch would refuse to hand over their papers. Now it's a little more relaxed, but they still reserve the right to hold your dispatch if you come in dispatch looking like you just rolled out of the bunk in a college dorm after a night of partying.

Any other terminals put up a new bid for city drivers? We are losing tenured drivers left and right, low freight volumes, while other carriers are wide open and let their employees have as much work as they want.

This has been a great part time job besides that.

Spoke to one of my old coworkers where I used to work the other day.
Their location is going into the new bid with only 2 Extra Board drivers. They added 5 runs.
They had 14 EB drivers a year ago at this time without those runs.

They'll be pulling from the (understaffed) city every day, and will still have to cancel runs daily.

People quitting, and no one is applying.