Yellow | New Bidder Aims to Save Bankrupt Trucking Firm, if Creditors Go Along

They had it in the contract to make it easier to combine and they still waited....they also waited far too long to do Yellow \ Roadway merger and screwed that up, also many nons don't have linehaul work the dock, and XPO is making it optional...and lastly it wasn't about working the dock, it was the violation of the contract with the COO....
I still remember Dollar Bill telling Yellow employees that they would never merge the two companies YRC- RDWY their brands were worth to much $$$

It's the same with a lot of Reddaway pups. You need a Reddaway gear with them, but have to be careful if it's a YRC lead box to make sure the pintle hook on the back of it has an air snubber. The Reddaway gears (except for the new counter-weighted ones) don't have a snubber in the hitch ring. Our mantra on this out west was "no snubber, no go!"
Yellow started to put the snubbers on their rebuilt con gears back in the 90s.
They were attempting to convert the whole fleet this way. Cheaper than fixing the trailers snubbers I guess.

Could be another reason to add to Puffs list of union BS

They were attempting to convert the whole fleet this way. Cheaper than fixing the trailers snubbers I guess.

Not just cheaper to fix. If a snubber on a loaded trailer was bad it could mean transferring the load if no mechanic/shop was available to do repair. If a snubber on a converter was bad you just swapped out the converter. Much faster.

Every profitable carrier except OD, Estes, Dayton, Saia, and others?
Estes has hub drivers who work the dock . They do like X.P.O drive to a terminal work the dock a few hours then come back. Estes also has combo driver who do whatever is told them. They may do line haul or hub or city. Plain line haul drivers do runs only.

This exactly the issue I tried to point out earlier. There is a big difference between CDL qualified dock and city drivers running road VOLUNTARILY as casuals on their days off and on the other hand those same workers being REQUIRED to run road during their normal work days/hours. IMHO if the job uses road casuals then dock/city should be able to do that work voluntarily on their days off as long as they protect their bids.

As a PS, I ran as a road casual at variety of Teamster jobs in the past - Eastern Freightways, ST. Johnsbury, Pilot, Conway Eastern Express (former Penn Yan, Teamster job) - when I was off/slow at my seniority job.
The Carolinas never had any forced work in any classification, this was PIE, not sure about the other carriers.

Thank you for thinking of me.

They had it in the contract to make it easier to combine and they still waited....they also waited far too long to do Yellow \ Roadway merger and screwed that up, also many nons don't have linehaul work the dock, and XPO is making it optional...and lastly it wasn't about working the dock, it was the violation of the contract with the COO....
It was never about Current L/H drivers working the dock.
They wanted to convert Velocity drivers to pay by mile for their driving part and by the hour for the dock work to eliminate any Overtime they got.
It's easy to work them on the dock for 7.5 hrs and kick them to the street to drive back, (think 152(philly) to 148(Allentown) at 8 AM in rush hour traffic).
I'm sure there are plenty of better examples in the North Jersey/NYC area also.

Last edited:
It was never about Current L/H drivers working the dock.
They wanted to convert Velocity drivers to pay by mile for their driving part and by the hour for the dock work to eliminate any Overtime they got.
It's easy to work them on the dock for 7.5 hrs and kick them to the street to drive back, (think 152(philly) to 148(Allentown) at 8 AM in rush hour traffic).
I'm sure there are plenty of better examples in the North Jersey/NYC area also.
I know of travel drivers from back East sitting in a motel in Twin Falls Idaho. The company never dispatched any freight their way.
When they figured it out after a few days the drivers were moved to Salt Lake City.