Yellow | New Bidder Aims to Save Bankrupt Trucking Firm, if Creditors Go Along

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there minimal territorial overlaps with those acquisitions?
ABF was buying to establish operating rights more with Navajo than the others. ABF did not have operating rights in the West. There was some 'overlap' with that acquisition but not as much as with ETMF & Carolina/Worldway. ABF retained a large percent of ETMF's customers which is part of the reason for acquiring a competitor. ABF was required to honor contracts Carolina had signed even though many were not profitable. Carolina had paid a large sum to be the designated carrier for the Olympics that were held in Atlanta. As I remember Mr. Young knew it was not going to be profitable but did go through with the agreement. It was a logistical nightmare because deliveries had to be made at night because of the large volume of traffic related to the Olympics. I was there for a few days & I can attest the traffic was terrible. 'Normal' traffic in Atlanta is bad enough, if it can ever be considered normal. The company was successful in making on time deliveries & setting up displays. The company in fact gained some customers because of how it handled the displays.
With all of the acquisitions employees were dovetailed by seniority which caused hard feelings among employees of both the surving carrier, (ABF), & the companies being dissolved. Equipment & freight was sabotaged by disgruntled employees. I still wonder how we survived & are still in business.

ABF was buying to establish operating rights more with Navajo than the others. ABF did not have operating rights in the West. There was some 'overlap' with that acquisition but not as much as with ETMF & Carolina/Worldway. ABF retained a large percent of ETMF's customers which is part of the reason for acquiring a competitor. ABF was required to honor contracts Carolina had signed even though many were not profitable. Carolina had paid a large sum to be the designated carrier for the Olympics that were held in Atlanta. As I remember Mr. Young knew it was not going to be profitable but did go through with the agreement. It was a logistical nightmare because deliveries had to be made at night because of the large volume of traffic related to the Olympics. I was there for a few days & I can attest the traffic was terrible. 'Normal' traffic in Atlanta is bad enough, if it can ever be considered normal. The company was successful in making on time deliveries & setting up displays. The company in fact gained some customers because of how it handled the displays.
With all of the acquisitions employees were dovetailed by seniority which caused hard feelings among employees of both the surving carrier, (ABF), & the companies being dissolved. Equipment & freight was sabotaged by disgruntled employees. I still wonder how we survived & are still in business.
Thanks for the explanation. :1036316054:

I still remember a lot of the Carolina trailers had the floor bellies in them. We would empty out the trailers unloading, then open up the floor doors and find freight that had the lost claims paid on them by Carolina three to four months earlier. And it wasn’t just a shipment or two. Some of those bellies contained 5 to 6 small shipments in them. It was a nightmare!!!

Reason number 489 that most unions are bad . No flexibility for a company to quickly pivot in a changing competitive market.
You got that right. MFers sitting around the break room, acting like it's 1952 "bu bu but the contract says bla bla bla"

Thanks for the explanation. :1036316054:
Also, the Carolina pups had the landing gear and king pin further back than ABF’s pups, and had the nose poles. Therefore, if you had a Carolina rear trailer to hook, you had to use a Carolina gear because they were longer. Otherwise, if you made a sharp turn and it had an ABF gear under it, the trailers would hit and cause damage.
The old saying was, “Carolina rear, Carolina gear”!!!

Last edited:
Also, the Carolina pups had the landing gear further back than ABF’s pups, and had the nose poles. Therefore, if you had a Carolina rear trailer to hook, you had to use a Carolina gear because they were longer. Otherwise, if you made a sharp turn and it had an ABF gear under it, the trailers would hit and cause damage.
But I remember ABF pups in the mid 1980's had nose poles also. I worked casual P&D quite a bit at ABF back then and remember hooking road driver sets with the nose poles.

But I remember ABF pups in the mid 1980's had nose poles also. I worked casual P&D quite a bit at ABF back then and remember hooking road driver sets with the nose poles.
Yeah….when I started in ‘94, there were still a few of them, but not many. My understanding was that Carolina had bought some of our old trailers that we were replacing and rebranded them to use. Then, when ABF bought Carolina, we got most of those old junkie trailers back. Don’t know for sure if it was true, but I was told this by multiple people!!!

Also, the Carolina pups had the landing gear further back than ABF’s pups, and had the nose poles. Therefore, if you had a Carolina rear trailer to hook, you had to use a Carolina gear because they were longer. Otherwise, if you made a sharp turn and it had an ABF gear under it, the trailers would hit and cause damage.
Al least the saying wasn't "Carolina, the extra long grain rice."

Yeah….when I started in ‘94, there were still a few of them, but not many. My understanding was that Carolina had bought some of our old trailers that we were replacing and rebranded them to use. Then, when ABF bought Carolina, we got most of those old junkie trailers back. Don’t know for sure if it was true, but I was told this by multiple people!!!
Carolina had bought used Louisville Ford tractors from ABF a few years earlier. They found their way back but as was with the other acquisitions, older equipment was quickly sold & replaced with new eqipment.
Speaking of equipment, the list of equipment for sale on ABF Used Equipment as of today is the most I have seen in quite a while. Apparently the company thinks freight will be slow for a long time.

Last edited:
The company was out to cut down manpower. If you think SOB was wrong, that's on you. And if you think we should have gave in and sided with the company, you'd be willing to stab your union brother or sister in their back, for your benefit. He was for unity, all or none. And thank you for your good viewpoint SoTR!
Well said brother

Also, the Carolina pups had the landing gear and king pin further back than ABF’s pups, and had the nose poles. Therefore, if you had a Carolina rear trailer to hook, you had to use a Carolina gear because they were longer. Otherwise, if you made a sharp turn and it had an ABF gear under it, the trailers would hit and cause damage.
It's the same with a lot of Reddaway pups. You need a Reddaway gear with them, but have to be careful if it's a YRC lead box to make sure the pintle hook on the back of it has an air snubber. The Reddaway gears (except for the new counter-weighted ones) don't have a snubber in the hitch ring. Our mantra on this out west was "no snubber, no go!"

Did R&L and FedEx take nearly 20 years to combine them?
Yellow could have done that and had a bunch of money selling equipment and terminals instead of keeping all of it (for nearly 20 years!) and paying taxes and upkeep on the properties....you have got to be smarter than that....
Exactly my point, it is far too difficult with a union.
Up until Yellow shut down line drivers could not work the dock like every profitable carrier does

ABF combined several Teamster LTL's & eventually made it work. Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Carolina/Worldway.
That is true, and at this moment they are doing ok
Yet a competitor has a 4% ownership in the company.
The end of that story has not been written yet....

Exactly my point, it is far too difficult with a union.
Up until Yellow shut down line drivers could not work the dock like every profitable carrier does
They had it in the contract to make it easier to combine and they still waited....they also waited far too long to do Yellow \ Roadway merger and screwed that up, also many nons don't have linehaul work the dock, and XPO is making it optional...and lastly it wasn't about working the dock, it was the violation of the contract with the COO....

There weren't a lot of dead beats (clock suckers?) at Big R. But obviously enough that Big R felt the salaries paid to the people to "keep an eye on them" had a reasonable "return on investment". :732:
RDWY in my area was very generous with their certified letters.
Their managers here managed to do their jobs and police the troops.