Yellow | New Hire Need Info

Paul G

TB Lurker
Credits
Recruiter called and gave me a Road Driver job,
Said I'd have 160hrs with a trainer since I'm a recent grad no exp. He mentioned the pay 54cents a mile, im in Chicagoland area.
Is it true YRC doesn't provide health insurance atm?
What are some of the negative things going on at YRC? Should I just give the guy a call back and tell him I've decided to go with another company or is it worth going to YRC for at least 1 year to get some exp and then look elsewhere?

Said I'd have 160hrs with a trainer since I'm a recent grad no exp. He mentioned the pay 54cents a mile, im in Chicagoland area.
What are some of the negative things going on at YRC? Should I just give the guy a call back and tell him I've decided to go with another company or is it worth going to YRC for at least 1 year to get some exp and then look elsewhere?
With this virus going in any direction, you very well may want to give it a try for the experience, for a year. Insurance after 90 days. If you are looking at LTL, not too many others are hiring right now. Do yourself a favor though, and don’t go OTR truckload right away. Thanks for stopping by.

With this virus going in any direction, you very well may want to give it a try for the experience, for a year. Insurance after 90 days. If you are looking at LTL, not too many others are hiring right now. Do yourself a favor though, and don’t go OTR truckload right away. Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for the reply...I was thinking the same thing, just getting some experience and such. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is being on Call, he mentioned you have a 2 hr window and I'm not sure how that works if they call you at 1am and you've been up since 7am the day before...

Thanks for the reply...I was thinking the same thing, just getting some experience and such. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is being on Call, he mentioned you have a 2 hr window and I'm not sure how that works if they call you at 1am and you've been up since 7am the day before...
The 2 hour work call has been around union carriers for a long time. Try to keep rested as best as possible. If you are not a night person, you will be as a road driver at most any LTL starting out.

You have what is called a "fatigue drop" to address that sort of situation. I am a retired 309 road driver and was a union Steward there as well. If you take the job a union Steward will be involved in your orientation. Remember the only stupid question, is the one you don't ask. The insurance is fabulous. I had an $85,000 abdominal surgery, not one penny out of my pocket, it was "in network" though.

The 2 hour work call has been around union carriers for a long time. Try to keep rested as best as possible. If you are not a night person, you will be as a road driver at most any LTL starting out.
We once tried a 1 hr call, doesn't work well unless you sleep in your clothes and live next to the terminal.
A line driver seldom gets proper rest unless he is high on seniority board or has a bid, if freight is slow.
That was old days, don't know about changes today.

We once tried a 1 hr call, doesn't work well unless you sleep in your clothes and live next to the terminal.
A line driver seldom gets proper rest unless he is high on seniority board or has a bid, if freight is slow.
@ 46 mph,I could usually manipulate my arrival time to around 9-10 pm so I slept at night.

Art one time when it was super busy and we were running on rest another driver and I were thinking of renting a 10 x 10 indoor 24 hour storage unit close by the terminal. We figured we'd put a couple of folding cots in it and we'd save the drive time to and from the house at busy times. Never did it though.

I started off driving at YRC. (309) Best bet is try to get on a sleeper team bid run so you have some what of a schedule. Right after my training I got on a sleeper run and that’s better than being on call IMO.

Just Give Up

ASx8pn5.jpg

Didn't stick around long she's already past me................what did you do goose her on the way by?[/QUOTEme................what did you do goose her on the way by?
Somebody did, worse I've seen in 30 yrs.
Had a tree and a kayak end up on my dock.

If you have any mirrors wash up, please send pictures. I might be able to use them.
Need bulbs?
:17142:
I don't know anything about linehaul.
Worked the dock so the little I know I got from talking to the guys at lunch or break waiting.
But I read some good advice. Above.
If your a rookie it's probably a good place to get some time under your belt.
I've worked docks before LTL. But I learned alot on the job at roadway.
Good luck. Seriously. None of it is easy. Mentally and physically.
:1036316054: