ABF | New Mileage Rates

shrink wrap

TB Lurker
Credits
The company is adjusting all the linehaul runs in the system. Some better, some worse. Going into effect on Monday. Check your bulletin boards...

No, they are using different mileage software to compute the distances between terminals

I remember several years ago an upper echelon management type planned to cut mileage pay. I still wonder how he figured distances between terminals had changed. Anyway, the local notified the International & asked for strike sanctions. When Mr. Young saw what was happening the mileage pay stayed as it had always been. I won't mention that management type person's name since he is no longer living.

No, they are using different mileage software to compute the distances between terminals

Any change of mileage computations has to be approved by the Teamsters. The contract used to state that the Household Mover's Guide was the definitive source for mileage. There were a number of years when the HHMG would issue "revisions",....and suddenly,....Chicago was 50 miles closer to Pittsburgh....

Funny,....We would've noticed if whole mountain ranges had exploded and flown off the globe,....thereby shrinking the diameter of our world.....

Don't forget to check your mileage off the odometer in the cab,.....and get the company-recommended routing. File a grievance if there's an obvious discrepancy. Don't let them slip in a "cut mile" run......just so they can maximize your HOS....

I really had a lot of hope when that was the talk a few years back.

In this day and age of,....infectious viruses, ...bedbug infections,......outrageous motel prices,......increasing family stresses,.......
I don't see why ANY company has to require a driver to lay in some motel.

For years, UPS had all of their runs meet-and-turns,...and paid ALL of their drivers by the hour. Remember when you used to....snicker at the plodding Buster Brown trucks running exactly the speed limit,....because they got paid by the hour?
And got home every night?

Turns out they were doing it right..........

Mileage runs and turned-up trucks.....make freight move faster, without compensating the driver a dime extra.........And all the "extra" money the companies made,......they could afford the motel costs,.......while still being Sanctimonious about your job if you got caught speeding,...on the companies' behalf......

In this day and age of,....infectious viruses, ...bedbug infections,......outrageous motel prices,......increasing family stresses,.......

For years, UPS had all of their runs meet-and-turns,...and paid ALL of their drivers by the hour. Remember when you used to....snicker at the plodding Buster Brown trucks running exactly the speed limit,....because they got paid by the hour?

Mileage runs and turned-up trucks.....make freight move faster, without compensating the driver a dime extra.........And all the "extra" money the companies made,......they could afford the motel costs,.......while still being Sanctimonious about your job if you got caught speeding,...on the companies' behalf......

We often shoot ourselves in the foot - drivers running without taking a break, skipping lunch just to get home earlier, etc., all the things that were fought for years ago to get us treated more humanely on the job are sometimes trashed by some.

PS - UPS also used to pay a 10% premium on that hourly pay if your start time (I'm talking feeder drivers) was between certain hours - 1:00pm and 6:00am if I remember correctly.

We often shoot ourselves in the foot - drivers running without taking a break, skipping lunch just to get home earlier, etc., all the things that were fought for years ago to get us treated more humanely on the job are sometimes trashed by some.

PS - UPS also used to pay a 10% premium on that hourly pay if your start time (I'm talking feeder drivers) was between certain hours - 1:00pm and 6:00am if I remember correctly.

At one time, we also got extra pay for 5 axles or over 40k.
All shop people got 10% extra for 3rd shift.

This was something being worked on with our leadership. Its practical miles vs actual miles. There isnt much difference in most runs, not worth getting worked up over. They were going to initiate it in March, then our world changed.. Honestly not even worth the post here.

This was something being worked on with our leadership. Its practical miles vs actual miles. There isnt much difference in most runs, not worth getting worked up over. They were going to initiate it in March, then our world changed.. Honestly not even worth the post here.

Well,.......that’s alright.....But, you still need to check, re-check, and check again.....anytime the company says:”modest change.....”

“Trust,.....but verify...”. Was that a Union official that said that?

Well,.......that’s alright.....But, you still need to check, re-check, and check again.....anytime the company says:”modest change.....”

“Trust,.....but verify...”. Was that a Union official that said that?

In the old days, we calibrated mileage with a bicycle wheel type calibrator towed by a vehicle that never exceeded 35 mph to avoid wheel bounce.
Mileage was post office to post office, agreed on by the local and companies.
This was done by our safety man, a steward and the BA, we all shared driving.
Any new runs added that were disagreed were wheeled.

In the old days, we calibrated mileage with a bicycle wheel type calibrator towed by a vehicle that never exceeded 35 mph to avoid wheel bounce.

Sonofagun! I know I followed you guys one time.......I kept on wondering where the guy on the unicycle fell off.........

Ernie Sohl put out a memo, said this was being worked on. Stalled, now implemented. I saw the changes, if any. maybe a mile or 2 in either direction. Contrasct states rates, but not method if I am remembering right, so this did not amount to opening of contract, etc.

I suppose that's why I drive for Brown now. It was a driver utilization model that appealed greatly to me.

I remember they filmed that moe , larry , curley

At one time, we also got extra pay for 5 axles or over 40k.
All shop people got 10% extra for 3rd shift.

The extra pay for the shop was called night differential & yes it was taken out. I don't remember which conferences have extra pay for pulling doubles/triples. Every penny chipped away from our pay means more profit for the company.

The extra pay for the shop was called night differential & yes it was taken out. I don't remember which conferences have extra pay for pulling doubles/triples. Every penny chipped away from our pay means more profit for the company.

This was in the Carolinas, we were just getting 3 axle tractors, years before we had pups.

Extra pay for double-bottoms in JC #40,....and extra pay for five-axle. I think it's still in the Road Supplement.