TForce | New Start Work Instructions

Gater

TB Regular
Credits
How many of you guys got your start work instructions list today? Is sounds like UPS is going to apply Frederick Taylor's "The Principles of Scientific Management" and time-motion studies to UPSF. Scientific Management will be alive and well at UPSF.

I just received a long letter on how UPS wants me to be healthy while I'm working for them.
Theres a lot of information on quiting smoking.
I gave up smoking way back in the 60's so I tossed this letter in the trash can.
(File 13,the tall circular file with the opening at the top)Well I'm sure you get the point.
Other than this letter I haven't received anyother literature?

First Gater, remember methods and procedures? All timed work functions. UPS will be bringing this to a terminal near you!!
Secondly Apo, I got that waste of paper. I'm thinking of going back to smoking!! :hysterical:

First Gater, remember methods and procedures? All timed work functions. UPS will be bringing this to a terminal near you!!
:

Unless UPS time studies each route and each driver UPS's times will never match. Everyday is different. Everyday the freight is different and the stops are different. UPS has these methods and procedures as a guide on how to be the most productive you can be. Key word productive. As we all know your dispatcher and the customers control production. We can only drive the tractor-trailer as fast as the speed limit allows us from point "A" to point "B". Bring on the clipboards and stopwatches.

How many of you guys got your start work instructions list today? Is sounds like UPS is going to apply Frederick Taylor's "The Principles of Scientific Management" and time-motion studies to UPSF. Scientific Management will be alive and well at UPSF.

You do realize that UPS is not running UPS Freight yet? It's still big O.. Ask around there are only a hand full of UPS people in place.:hide:

Secondly Apo, I got that waste of paper. I'm thinking of going back to smoking!! :hysterical:

Well most of our dispatcher's do not know what they did 10 minutes ago, nevermind where they are sending you, They are lucky if they know where they are, I am sure this will be beutiful.:funky: :funky: :funky:

They need to send the UPS guys to freight school and get the package programming beat out of them.

Ah Steve the computer never lies....It also can't calcuate traffic , weather,or human error. But hey in Oz its all the same....Package or pallet no matter...Its all good......

We all know parcel is a much different program.
They can have ride along supervisors to count the stepts the driver takes from the truck to the customer,and back.
Parcel drivers can stop their little package cars in a small place,than their not supposed to run.(Yeah right?) they are to get out and go as fast as they can to make their delivery,than get back to their trucks,and hit the road for the next stop.
Most of the time they don't have to wait around for a signature.

Now we freight haulers have a whole other ball game to deal with which can't be rushed for the most part.
We need loading docks,which other trucking company drivers may be waiting for as well.
We need signatures,sometimes help from the receivers,and shippers to unload or load us.
And you'll never see me jumping out of my tractor and walking fast to make any of my deliveries.
TIME STUDY THIS OPERATION,GOOD LUCK?

Ah Steve the computer never lies....It also can't calcuate traffic , weather,or human error. But hey in Oz its all the same....Package or pallet no matter...Its all good......

I would not even begin to attempt to break down the steps in time studying freight, I am sure it can be done, and I am sure big brown will find a way....

I really can't agree that there is anyway to make our delivery days work out to be the same every day?
We may have the same route areas to cover every day.
But its always different.

This is one thing I enjoy about being a city driver.
I run the same route,every day,but its never the same.
Every day has its own special adventures,and challenges.

UPS can count the steps of their parcel drivers,and help them find ways to make their days work go faster.

But you all know I'm working in my 44th year as a city driver,and I don't see that theres going to be anyway to get me to do my route any faster than I can now?

If they want to help me,they need to light a fire under the back sides of my customers,and get them to get me in,and out of their places faster.

I always have done my work unto God,which is a higher standard then the average driver.
But doing my best work,I don't see how any time expert is going to be able to get my stops done any faster?

You will get your job done faster and more efficently in less time. You no longer work for "O" You are a machine, and you will produce or we will replace.:hysterical:

I really can't agree that there is anyway to make our delivery days work out to be the same every day?
We may have the same route areas to cover every day.
But its always different.

This is one thing I enjoy about being a city driver.
I run the same route,every day,but its never the same.
Every day has its own special adventures,and challenges.

UPS can count the steps of their parcel drivers,and help them find ways to make their days work go faster.

But you all know I'm working in my 44th year as a city driver,and I don't see that theres going to be anyway to get me to do my route any faster than I can now?

If they want to help me,they need to light a fire under the back sides of my customers,and get them to get me in,and out of their places faster.

I always have done my work unto God,which is a higher standard then the average driver.
But doing my best work,I don't see how any time expert is going to be able to get my stops done any faster?

Well here is a fine example that you met with disgust APO, It should not take you more then 15 minutes to turn in your paperwork and fuel and punch out. For 1, then when you are done this ,get in your car and leave the premises ,because conversation in the breakroom with other drivers on the clock will slow them down.

Hows that for a timestudy? Just the beginning.

On the diads there is ,
Waiting for door
Waiting for ferry
Waiting for paperwork
Lunch, etc. etc.

Promotes redundancy on 1 run and also shows repetative action's in any given time frame , could be 10 minutes too 1 yaer but we now have it on record, remember we are in our infancy, this is just the beginning.

How's this for time study. Or dock people now have to,
Maintain 10 bill's per hr. busy season.
maybe 15 bill's per hr.when things is slow.
Punch in and out for lunch,
2hr's to clean pit's
2hr's to clean dock
etc. etc.

And I am sure there will be more. these is just a few examples.

Run 119 for example show's driver A can productivley complete the run in a matter of 5 hr's with no more then 4 minutes per stop, vs driver B which takes him or her and additional 2 hr's to complete the run.

I do not know about the rest of you people, but after running my run for as long as I have, I know just how long ,looking at my bill's in the morning ,just how long it will take me to accomplish whatever it is I need to accomplish, and I am sure the little squak box as some of you put it will relay to the reservation system the same , keeping this in memory , and now showing a pattern of redundancy.

That is how the time studies will be implemented....

YUP I use that delay of waiting for a door.
And I always get my lunch,but after my route is all done.
Although some of us city drivers are still having trouble with our Diads.
One guys crashed,on him and my TM had to send it somewhere to be fixed.

When I scan the pro's on my paper work at a pickup,my Diad always starts messing up on my second bill if I have more than one at any stop.
I have better luck if I manualy type in the number.
Maybe this boxes will be good for the company once they get the bugs out of them?
But untill they do they are a major hassel,and also a great big time waster.

YUP I use that delay of waiting for a door.
And I always get my lunch,but after my route is all done.
Although some of us city drivers are still having trouble with our Diads.
One guys crashed,on him and my TM had to send it somewhere to be fixed.

When I scan the pro's on my paper work at a pickup,my Diad always starts messing up on my second bill if I have more than one at any stop.
I have better luck if I manualy type in the number.
Maybe this boxes will be good for the company once they get the bugs out of them?
But untill they do they are a major hassel,and also a great big time waster.

The whole entire system nation wide crashed yesterday at about 3:00pm EST.