Estes | New to the forum, looking for company advice

Bobs330

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello. I'm new to the forum and am looking into getting into LTL. I live near Tulsa,OK and would like advice on which companies are the best to work for. I've heard from a friend the FedEx freight is really good, also one of the P&D guys from Estes mentioned they're pretty good. I've also heard Old Dominion is pretty good. I want to stay in city or short runs, but P&D. I have a class a already, but have man-tran restriction, and air brake. I also need to get hazmat and double triple. I have 3yrs flatbed experience, but its with a Chevy Kodak 2 ton and a 25ft deck gooseneck w/ dove tail. I'm looking at OD, FedEx, Estes, and maybe Southeastern. I am not looking at Conway, heard way to much bad press. I'd appreciate any replies. Also, who has the best pay/benefits etc. Thank you guys!

Hello. I'm new to the forum and am looking into getting into LTL. I live near Tulsa,OK and would like advice on which companies are the best to work for. I've heard from a friend the FedEx freight is really good, also one of the P&D guys from Estes mentioned they're pretty good. I've also heard Old Dominion is pretty good. I want to stay in city or short runs, but P&D. I have a class a already, but have man-tran restriction, and air brake. I also need to get hazmat and double triple. I have 3yrs flatbed experience, but its with a Chevy Kodak 2 ton and a 25ft deck gooseneck w/ dove tail. I'm looking at OD, FedEx, Estes, and maybe Southeastern. I am not looking at Conway, heard way to much bad press. I'd appreciate any replies. Also, who has the best pay/benefits etc. Thank you guys!
They have schools at OD and Big E. I would think signing up for one would get you past the umpteen thousands applications you would compete with. It's hard to jump into a schedule without first doing P&D at any Ltl outfit. Pay is an open question. Some pay good and work you little. Some pay less and work you more. Some companies are secure and some could fold any day.

Thank you. I want P&D. My uncle did for years and loved it. It's also like what I do, only on a much more consistent pace. I'm also after a better paying job.

I'm not sure what our guys get but it's good pay. Old dominion is a good company. I hear Fed Ex is ok if you have tons of seniority. I would stay away from Fed Ex, Abf, Upsf, yrc only because it takes years to get a full work week and out of the layoff picture.

Bump. Anybody else have any opinions on Estes? I have a load to drop near the TUL facility and am thinking about stopping by for some q&a if possible. Thanks guys.

Checked with Estes, not hiring. What's yalls opinions of southeastern freight lines? They are hiring, and also i think saia is too. Again, thanks.

Checked with Estes, not hiring. What's yalls opinions of southeastern freight lines? They are hiring, and also i think saia is too. Again, thanks.
Probably similar to our outfit but they have more bull$,°* to put up with according to the drivers I've talked to.

Bob, I got some ex co workers that went to work for Southeastern, they love it, I'm told that OD is a really good place to be, my best friend still works for Fedex Freight in Tulsa, you will start by working the dock and going to OKC at night, They aren't working their bottom guys much, Southeastern is a really good bet if they are hiring.

I would work at Arbys before I went back to FXF, and I don't even like Arbys.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to apply as soon as I can. A friend of mine works at FXF and said they leave him alone, he's been a driver for along time.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to apply as soon as I can. A friend of mine works at FXF and said they leave him alone, he's been a driver for along time.

That's the problem. He's been there a long time. To ever get to where he is would take two lifetimes. Try OD they are a good outfit for sure

That's the problem. He's been there a long time. To ever get to where he is would take two lifetimes. Try OD they are a good outfit for sure

My buddy has been there 13 years in the city and has to take a will call just to come in before 1000, that stinks.

My buddy has been there 13 years in the city and has to take a will call just to come in before 1000, that stinks.

Down here at FedEx, they are still working the city guys on 4/10hr work days... No, Mondays and Fridays are NOT given automatically to the senior guys.. They are told they have to rotate... Sure has changed since FedEx took over...

Down here at FedEx, they are still working the city guys on 4/10hr work days... No, Mondays and Fridays are NOT given automatically to the senior guys.. They are told they have to rotate... Sure has changed since FedEx took over...

I don't remember what my buddy said, I think there are some 4 10's around, I know the guys didn't like them because the OT is after 10 in that case, so ya either don't get your hours or you work 0900 to 2100, I can't remember for sure, on will call he comes in early and sometimes goes home early, the work the **** out of him, but he is a guy that can be counted on to get the job done, its the lazy guys that get to do whatever they want over there, it was the same way when I worked out of TUL.

I don't remember what my buddy said, I think there are some 4 10's around, I know the guys didn't like them because the OT is after 10 in that case, so ya either don't get your hours or you work 0900 to 2100, I can't remember for sure, on will call he comes in early and sometimes goes home early, the work the **** out of him, but he is a guy that can be counted on to get the job done, its the lazy guys that get to do whatever they want over there, it was the same way when I worked out of TUL.

Yeah, it seems it's getting that way over here... The more you mess around and do nothing, the more credit you get.... Glad I'm not in the city no more, it's become a cut-throat situation.....

Yeah, it seems it's getting that way over here... The more you mess around and do nothing, the more credit . Glad I'm not in the city no more,

I'm glad I'm part of the do nothing crowd also. Worked the city before but I'm too damn pretty to take that kind of abuse. It wasn't the work but the high strung dispatcher caused my jugular vein to become exposed. I was able to count my beats per minute just by looking in the mirror. If I wanted to hear that much bitchin, I would have stayed my sorry ass home.

What is a man-tran restriction?