Estes | New to the forum, looking for company advice

Hello. I'm new to the forum and am looking into getting into LTL. I live near Tulsa,OK and would like advice on which companies are the best to work for. I've heard from a friend the FedEx freight is really good, also one of the P&D guys from Estes mentioned they're pretty good. I've also heard Old Dominion is pretty good. I want to stay in city or short runs, but P&D. I have a class a already, but have man-tran restriction, and air brake. I also need to get hazmat and double triple. I have 3yrs flatbed experience, but its with a Chevy Kodak 2 ton and a 25ft deck gooseneck w/ dove tail. I'm looking at OD, FedEx, Estes, and maybe Southeastern. I am not looking at Conway, heard way to much bad press. I'd appreciate any replies. Also, who has the best pay/benefits etc. Thank you guys!

What? You cannot operate a manual tranny or what? You're an automatic kinda guy?

Manual transmission. When i took my test, we had an automatic trannyd i had to have the restriction put on. I can drive a manual easily, i prefer a manual for pulling s trailer.

:biglaugh: Somebody say, "it ain't so!" I ain't neva neither. Do they have Pete 379 restrictions? That's all I can drive. I want a school bus colored 379 Xtd hood Pete to drive with a twin turbo'd 600 HP Cat restriction also.

:biglaugh: Somebody say, "it ain't so!" I ain't neva neither. Do they have Pete 379 restrictions? That's all I can drive. I want a school bus colored 379 Xtd hood Pete to drive with a twin turbo'd 600 HP Cat restriction also.

Guess I better get on down to DMV and get an A/C and power steering restiction also

It is true, if you test in an auto, they will restrict you to that, our guys are testing in them, because we are hurting for bodies, we are training them, its faster to get a guy up to speed in an auto than to teach them to shift without smoking a clutch and tearing up a transmission. If you test in a manual, then you receive no restriction.

I'm at FedEx now, on my way out, mildew is absolutely correct, stay away from FedEx. Been there 88days and still have yet to get into a truck, i only have 19 YEARS exp. though, maybe for them thats not enough.
I'm not sure what our guys get but it's good pay. Old dominion is a good company. I hear Fed Ex is ok if you have tons of seniority. I would stay away from Fed Ex, Abf, Upsf, yrc only because it takes years to get a full work week and out of the layoff picture.

It is true, if you test in an auto, they will restrict you to that, our guys are testing in them, because we are hurting for bodies, we are training them, its faster to get a guy up to speed in an auto than to teach them to shift without smoking a clutch and tearing up a transmission. If you test in a manual, then you receive no restriction.

I have one of our new ones with an automation tranny... I'm still having knee problems in my left knee,from stomping the floorboard looking for the clutch when I am coming to a stop... I'll tell ya, after 30 years of driving one with a clutch, it takes a while to get that outta ya head.... Reckon I could qualify for Workman's Comp, due to the stress this puts me under?

I'm at FedEx now, on my way out, mildew is absolutely correct, stay away from FedEx. Been there 88days and still have yet to get into a truck, i only have 19 YEARS exp. though, maybe for them thats not enough.

Ya gotta pay your dues, young blood!!!! Just kiddin' there DF... I've heard that about those folks, but hey, as long as the old rattle trap will get to point A to point B and back, I'll drive anything at .60 a mile(as long as it's a safe rattle trap).... And if I break down, I go on the clock... So keep them old clunkers comin' and go home and hug the kids....Be safe my friend...