ODFL | New Tractors

MajorGains

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a question for folks from other centers regarding new tractors for city drivers. Here in the Mid-Atlantic at a fairly large center everytime a couple of new tractors come in they are handed out to the newbie drivers. I have several years in here at OD as a city driver and I have about 20 guys under me in the city and about 10 of them have 2009 or newer assigned tractors. I had an 06 for about the last 2 years and before that had an 01 until they took it off the road, that is the only reason I ended up with the 06. About 3 weeks ago I finally got a 2011 and thought finally I have something newer until yesterday a message came down from corporate that everything 2009 or newer is going to the south for whatever reason, just curious as to how tractor assignments are handled at other centers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because the morale at our center is starting to dwindle among us senior drivers as we see how are seniority means absolutley nothing!!

Just my opinion, unless the tractor has issues, I would rather have an older one.I am currently assigned an 09. I was given this one and the 05 I lost ended up at another terminal. The LDS drives me nuts.Also having an older tractor it is less likely to be used by anyone else. I have given up on trying to figure out what supervisors and managers think, It just seems so far from common sense anymore.

Seniority don't mean nothing.They just replaced a city run by another lower seniority below 4 other guy's.Yes,those 4 driver's didn't want the run anyway.But,it would have been nice to atleast ask.Has of tractor's.When I went out last year for 10 week's of medical leave.I was assign'd a 06'.Was told to clean it out & I would have a newer tractor.Well,when I got back they had add'd 4 new city driver's&every one plus several other new driver's were driving 07's-08's.I finally got a 275 tractor a couple month's ago.But,honestly I would rather have a older tractor.I had heard that all the non-Cally clean air tractor's are being sold because they can't run them in California.Now,I would have thought they would have sent all those Volvo's back to the eastcoast&atleast put them on the city side.Now,I would love to have me a Volvo to run local with
I have a question for folks from other centers regarding new tractors for city drivers. Here in the Mid-Atlantic at a fairly large center everytime a couple of new tractors come in they are handed out to the newbie drivers. I have several years in here at OD as a city driver and I have about 20 guys under me in the city and about 10 of them have 2009 or newer assigned tractors. I had an 06 for about the last 2 years and before that had an 01 until they took it off the road, that is the only reason I ended up with the 06. About 3 weeks ago I finally got a 2011 and thought finally I have something newer until yesterday a message came down from corporate that everything 2009 or newer is going to the south for whatever reason, just curious as to how tractor assignments are handled at other centers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because the morale at our center is starting to dwindle among us senior drivers as we see how are seniority means absolutley nothing!!

Regeneration and plug up carbon filters has become an issue. Unless the P&D run gets 200+ highway miles they get problems. Gotta have some long stretches of open road to work emission system in those 200

+ miles. A P&D and I share. I line haul 518 +. Some of the terminals around our region have been warned about not using later 09's and newer on P&D only. Especially when hubs are using million mile 05/06's on linehaul extra board. We have a 10 that was getting regeneration issues due to P&D. Was switched to a longer rural P&D. It's suppose to be our spare linehaul. Head mechanic at hub shop made comment about the emission problems. Believe in future this will become major issue industry wide. Tractor assignment are up to terminal manager. Had rookies to senior P&D in 11 tractor I'm issued. P&D usually puts 200 to 350 daily on it. If it's used short during the day, under 100 miles, auto regen light comes on everytime I come to stop 1st half of night.

Some day the Columbias will all be gone. Hope they have those issues figured out by then!

08s i dont think i have ever seen one..have heard they bought only a couple of those. but yea seniority dosnt mean much like it use to. from the east coast where i live they have sent most 09s to cali because they said so.

08 Cascadia look just like 09.But,there are no fiberglass step's.Has the old style step rail's on tank.
08s i dont think i have ever seen one..have heard they bought only a couple of those. but yea seniority dosnt mean much like it use to. from the east coast where i live they have sent most 09s to cali because they said so.

KCY has 2 09 Columbia's. Got larger/stretched hood. Cascadia style mirrors, except not electrical. Get 1 ounce in awhile for a spare. OD turned in the 08's. Actually had 400 ordered. Electrical issues, including fires, shops were not allowed to keep inside unattended. Very rare to see one. A lot of 08's were reworked/rebranded as 09's. Why there are such weird crossbreeds. My old business partner had 2 08's. Less than 100,000 miles, 1 burnt to ground in California, driver got out of sleeper, yet lost everything. Freightliner took back other one.

The 08s got returned to freightliner it was the regen systems causing them to burn and breakdown the 09 Columbia's had electrical issues since they where built in mexico

The 08s got returned to freightliner it was the regen systems causing them to burn and breakdown the 09 Columbia's had electrical issues since they where built in mexico
Yes, it was and is a nightmare for people still dealing with those issues. We have some of them mix/matched rebuilds. Branded as 09's. Like the 09 Columbia I spoke of.

Well my 275 tractor survived all the swapping of units and got word from the uppers it will not go back out on the road due to too many write ups, however Cummins did an overhaul on the engine back in July but it never showed up in the computer system the shop uses, only found out cause it had another regeneration issue a few weeks back and OD had us take it to Cummins here in BAL and made them fix it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Our'13 Cummins powered Columbias when they get close to 300k miles on them have all spent a few days at the shop getting the exhaust systems disassembled so the filter can be replaced,seemslike a good thing they get such good fuel milage(compared to the units they replaced)with the added expence of the DEF and maintenance involved.

Mine had 316k when I got it so it must have had more problems, has 347k now and doesn't seem to have any issues now, knock on wood!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What is OD's policy, if you will, on retiring trucks?

It seems to vary from region to region. I heard 7yr/900k a few years back, then bumped to 9yrs and didn't hear a mileage, however I have personally seen tractors older than this with over a million miles so its anyone's guess. I'll ask and see what I can find and post later. Id say to ask Kenneth, but he is only exposed to the newest, lowest mileage equipment that we have so that's no good.... :LMAO::27::busted::hide:

It seems to vary from region to region. I heard 7yr/900k a few years back, then bumped to 9yrs and didn't hear a mileage, however I have personally seen tractors older than this with over a million miles so its anyone's guess. I'll ask and see what I can find and post later. Id say to ask Kenneth, but he is only exposed to the newest, lowest mileage equipment that we have so that's no good.... :LMAO::27::busted::hide:

I think that's going to cost you.