TForce | Nice reflective vest.....????

falcon465

TB Lurker
Credits
I was talking with a road driver out of Gaffney the other day and he said that the city drivers and anyone on the yard had to wear a saftey vest...has anyone else heard this being handed down from the saftey dept?? I'm at a smaller terminal and we don't hear of anything until the mothership forces us to do it....:chairshot:

I was talking with a road driver out of Gaffney the other day and he said that the city drivers and anyone on the yard had to wear a saftey vest...has anyone else heard this being handed down from the saftey dept?? I'm at a smaller terminal and we don't hear of anything until the mothership forces us to do it....:chairshot:
Last week someone talked of this. Not a bad idea for those dark terminals that can't fix there lights. But haven't seen anything in writing or management talk about it just yet but it's coming I would say

yes in GVL we have to wear one if we Jockey, and we are now required to wear a seat belt on the lifts...I was told they will soon be painting walk ways around and through the terminal, anyone caught walking outside of the lines will be repremanded for safety reasons.... welcome to the world of brown...

All UPS facailities have painted walkways and restricted areas as well as designated break/smoke areas.

Shifters (yard horse jockeys) must wear vests.
Driver NOT preforming driving duties must wear vests. Driver hooking, pretripping, or other wise preforming drivng duties are not required to wear a vest. You must wear a vest if you are helping another driver, or preforming another task that doesn't involve driving or your assinged vechile
Supervisors walking in yard or outside of designated, painted walkway areas must wear vest.

Relfective stripping on jackets works only when you wear them and for close to half the year in some parts of the country and close most of the year in other parts jacket are not needed so they don't serve a viable purpose. As UPSF employee you have upper garments taht are a lighter color (gray) as opposed to all brown that we wear. Try seeing a person dressed completely in brown walk around in a dimmly lit yard. Anyone associate with how camo works knows what I'm talking about........You disappear!!!!
If you think you need a vest wear it, it could save your life.

This is another in a long list of things UPS will implement in the coming years. UPSF is far behind UPS in operation methods and capacity. It will take years to get you up to speed. Sit back relax and enjoy the ride, it easier to take it one step at a time then trying to complete to journey in one gaint leap.

Safety First, the rest of the stuff takes care of itself,
T251

Hey Teamster 251 your just the one I've been looking for to ask a question.
Its cold in the north in the winter.
For all my years in trucking I've worn a zip front hooded sweat shirt,over my uniform shirt but under my uniform jacket.
Thursday one of the main whinners that works the city board with me at my terminal.
Gets in my face,and says wait you can't wear that.
Its not part of the uniform.
You can wear your black T-shirt under your work shirt but your not allowed to wear that black hooded shirt.
I said back to him whatever.
So friday I wore a gray one that blended in with the colors better, over my work shirt but under my uniform jacket.
I had to go over a review of a drivers report that I'd turned in for a ride along on a safety trainning day this week.
As soon as I was in the TM's office he says you can't wear that hooded sweat shirt its not uniform issue.
Take it off immediately.
Here I've been wearing it all the time since it started getting cold around our part of the country.
Now just like that I've got to take it off.
Nothing about my comfort for the rest of the day.
Seeing my neck was cold without its protection.
Now I wounder is this a policy at the parent company level Teamster 251?
Uniform only?
I think my TM could of told me I could wear it the rest of the day,than don't wear it anymore,but to have me take it off right that second,didn't make my day outside very nice.

So what do you say T251 is the uniform rule that strict with all of UPS?

This is the second time I was told not to wear something.
I have a UPS racing cap,with a large UPS brand on front,and a small number 88 on one side.
I wore it one day we were having a meeting and nothing was said by my TM untill one of my co-workers asked him if they all could start wearing racing caps?
Than my TM looked at me,saying don't wear it again its not uniform issue.
By that night when we clocked out he had it posted in writting from Richmond in the drivers room.
I was hoping you could give me a better answer than what I'm getting from my UPS Freight TM?
Whatever you say I can live with it.
Even though you and I don't agree on a lot of things I trust your post replys T251.

Hey Teamster 251 your just the one I've been looking for to ask a question.
Its cold in the north in the winter.
For all my years in trucking I've worn a zip front hooded sweat shirt,over my uniform shirt but under my uniform jacket.
Thursday one of the main whinners that works the city board with me at my terminal.
Gets in my face,and says wait you can't wear that.
Its not part of the uniform.
You can wear your black T-shirt under your work shirt but your not allowed to wear that black hooded shirt.
I said back to him whatever.
So friday I wore a gray one that blended in with the colors better, over my work shirt but under my uniform jacket.
I had to go over a review of a drivers report that I'd turned in for a ride along on a safety trainning day this week.
As soon as I was in the TM's office he says you can't wear that hooded sweat shirt its not uniform issue.
Take it off immediately.
Here I've been wearing it all the time since it started getting cold around our part of the country.
Now just like that I've got to take it off.
Nothing about my comfort for the rest of the day.
Seeing my neck was cold without its protection.
Now I wounder is this a policy at the parent company level Teamster 251?
Uniform only?
I think my TM could of told me I could wear it the rest of the day,than don't wear it anymore,but to have me take it off right that second,didn't make my day outside very nice.

So what do you say T251 is the uniform rule that strict with all of UPS?

This is the second time I was told not to wear something.
I have a UPS racing cap,with a large UPS brand on front,and a small number 88 on one side.
I wore it one day we were having a meeting and nothing was said by my TM untill one of my co-workers asked him if they all could start wearing racing caps?
Than my TM looked at me,saying don't wear it again its not uniform issue.
By that night when we clocked out he had it posted in writting from Richmond in the drivers room.
I was hoping you could give me a better answer than what I'm getting from my UPS Freight TM?
Whatever you say I can live with it.
Even though you and I don't agree on a lot of things I trust your post replys T251.

APO, these are growing pains. Seems the uni is more important than your comfort or job preformance.

I'll let you in on a liitle secert if you don't tell anyone.
We wear waht ever we want as long as it's brown and has a logo on it.

I wear a UPS Feeight gray and brown hat.
I wear a brown Sweatshirt with a embroidered, Sleeper Truck and twin tailer and the words Feeder Division over it with Providence RI under it.
I wear a brown "Under Armor" vest purchase at Cabella's and my Tshirts are embridered the same way as my sweatshirts.
We have guys/gals wearing black hats, Racing hats, Elmer Fudd furry flap hats, woolcaps, Camo hats, and even some white and gold trimmed hats but they all have UPS logos on them.
We look like a bunch from McHale's Navy.
We even have one guy that wears shorts everyday of the year.

We have never been told that we can not wear something if it protects us from the weather.
UPS doesn't design a jacket warm enough to wear on the tarmac at an Airport (Boston's Logan) so you see more hoodies sticking out and scarfs and hats tha a fashion show a the Brown cafe.

My suggestion to you is wear it after you leave the yard. Also I think you've been around long enough to know waht to do to whinning crybabies. I like fifthwheel grease under his sterring wheel or on his shifting knob or even red ciajan pepper down the vent of his defroster:tongue0015:

Did UPSF supply you with a rain jacket?

We don't have or I should say I don't have one or was ever given one. I use one thats pink and have a big blue umbrella when I'm hooking up in the rain. No one has ever said a word to me and I've never been wet.

Good luck, stay warm, getting cold can slow you down (hint,hint)

T251

Did UPSF supply you with a rain jacket?

T251

Yes T, we were given a complete set of uni's, the rain gear is ok but I found that you need to apply scotch guard to it to help repel the water. I ordered the square cut short sleeve shirts. I wear a brown long sleeve t-shirt under my gray when it gets too cold. Having been at Brown years ago, I'm antisipating the dress code, especially shoes polished is coming.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on the uniform issue T251,as much as you've gotten all over me on some of my anti-union posts
I do value your opinion,as a real UPS driver.
I was issued a rain jacket that the sleaves were very long,about 5 inches past the ends of my fingers.
I showed my TM,because I wanted to return it for the proper length sleaves.
He said its just fine its like that because you wear your vest under it,and it boosts up the sleaves.
Well if I do that I'll be like a little kid bundled up in a snow sute that can only waddle around.
How am I going to do any work bundled up like that?

So I was just wearing this light weight hooded sweat shirt,to keep my neck warm in the wind,with no loss of mobility.

As much as I try to go along with all these new rule changes,its giving me a bad taste for being a second hand UPS driver.

Now as far as the whinners I don't care if they want to cry the blues,all the time,thats their chioce.
I whine along with them for a little while on some issues.
The ones that run to the TM because they think they are being cheated with someone else trying to get away with something.
Well I've learned a long time ago,just to stay away from them,so they won't have anything to rat me out to our boss about.
As far as revenge.
I pray that they will have it in their hearts to stop worrying about everyone else.

I never want any harm to come to those who do,or think they are doing me wrong.
I put them in God's hands,than let him deal with them however he wants.
I've been doing it this way for many years,and it always has worked out the best for me.
So thanks again for your come back,Teamster 251.

At our meeting in NBR a week ago they were talking about the dress code. Nothing but the uniforms that were issued to you. Boondockers polished. Also talked about the safety vest and walkways. Like Apo says you got to get with the program or find another job. Also T251 post was excellent you just got to use good judgement in whatever helps you get the job done.

safety vest

falcon this is part true.if you are a yard jockey or shop person you must wear a vest not driver.I will be at your term on tuesday for the diad training and will talk to you about the safety vest and changes for our term.

That's cool....the only thing that I've been able to do is ride with a couple drivers.(Two new hires and one accident offender) As far as the dock and terminal things that we should be doing.....I was told by my TM that until it was handed down from Richmond that I couldn't do it. So I ask and then I do what I can.

allstar05 I got my safety training in Pittsburg way back in august this year.
I had my first ride along this last thursday for an accident follow up.
I try to be ojective,and fair as possible.
But I find at my terminal I'm like supervision without getting any extra pay.
I'm not on anyones favorite list anymore.
But I say no big deal.
I was trained by UPS to take safety to the next level,so everyone will stay safe,and thats just what I'm doing.
Like it or not I'm their safety trainer because UPS not me wants it to be that way.