XPO | Oldest Cascadia

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
What's the oldest Cascadia you've been in? An '09? I think that's when we started getting them.

I was looking at some old threads where some believed Con-way ( at the time ) leased all of the Cascadias.

When we first started receiving the Cascadias I remember seeing a video saying that the Sterlings would be gone in a few years. HA! I still see guys pulling sets with Sterlings. About 1/3 of tractors at our barn are Sterlings.

I was talking to a driver from xhr (Hartford ct), he told me they only have a few cascadia's left. Most of them are at the dealer getting fixed. Our first one was in 09', 432-9555 I think. Still kickin' around too.

What's the oldest Cascadia you've been in? An '09? I think that's when we started getting them.

I was looking at some old threads where some believed Con-way ( at the time ) leased all of the Cascadias.

When we first started receiving the Cascadias I remember seeing a video saying that the Sterlings would be gone in a few years. HA! I still see guys pulling sets with Sterlings. About 1/3 of tractors at our barn are Sterlings.

I also clearly remember them saying they would never buy medium duty trucks again...

I also clearly remember them saying they would never buy medium duty trucks again...
That's funny too. I have a Freightliner "city truck". On the Freightliner website it's called a M2106

What I don't understand is how there seems to be a push to use Sterlings again when several months ago we had a flyer detailing how we need to use up the (newer) trucks as soon and as much as possible because this made more economic sense.

Last edited:
That's funny too. I have a Freightliner "city truck". On the Freightliner website it's called a M2106

What I don't understand is how there seems to be a push to use Sterlings again when several months ago we had a flyer detailing how we need to use up the (newer) trucks as soon and as much as possible because this made more economic sense.

That would be correct if they're leased. The original batch of '09 Cascadias were leased, and probably purchased at the end of the lease. The wonder boys in the palace were trying to make the company less capital intensive. I don't know if later batches were leased or purchased.

I don't know, but as far as I know at OD we buy our equipment and keep it as long as possible within reason in regard to maintenance cost. Team trucks last about 5 years, most other equipment about 10 years. Mileage is usually 1.2 million before sale. There doesn't seem to be any push to keep mileage up or down on equipment. We use it until we sell it.

I don't know, but as far as I know at OD we buy our equipment and keep it as long as possible within reason in regard to maintenance cost. Team trucks last about 5 years, most other equipment about 10 years. Mileage is usually 1.2 million before sale. There doesn't seem to be any push to keep mileage up or down on equipment. We use it until we sell it.
Thank you Song. I was wondering if anyone at XPO Con-way remembers a handout we had a few months ago that details the costs of our tractors , how much we needed to run them , and how many miles we try to have on them when we sell them. Also , how much they sell for.

Thank you Song. I was wondering if anyone at XPO Con-way remembers a handout we had a few months ago that details the costs of our tractors , how much we needed to run them , and how many miles we try to have on them when we sell them. Also , how much they sell for.

Last batch of trucks sold when I still worked there was probably 2011-12, when they sold off a few 1999-2000 Sterlings. All had 1.1 -1.3 million on them. TM said they sold for $5000 each and all went to Mexico.

I see a bunch of our old OD tractors in a variety of operations around the country. Our old sleepers are popular with some of the west coast hay haulers pulling double flatbeds.

Sterlings were tough trucks. Freightiners are disposable and are made to be leased and then dumped after a few years.
though the one who spec out the sterling road and city trucks should be taken out back by the wood shed. Road with a 7 speed trans and the city with those little ass cat motors

:732::chairshot:

I heard that they have a formula on mileage and how many years. At my barn line haul truck are assigned runs for mileage. The trucks need to last 10yrs before it hits 1 million miles

The biggest problem con-way had which is now XPO problem is you must keep replacing you trucks. At one point con-way, back in the day, slack off on replacing trucks and now we have the problem of beat to the ground junk that held together with bubble gum and duck tape.
I also was told the all the city sterling with the cat motor were to be retired and they weren't putting any money into them. That lasted about a month then they saw they did not have the truck to replace the one being put out of service.

The biggest problem con-way had which is now XPO problem is you must keep replacing you trucks. At one point con-way, back in the day, slack off on replacing trucks and now we have the problem of beat to the ground junk that held together with bubble gum and duck tape.
I also was told the all the city sterling with the cat motor were to be retired and they weren't putting any money into them. That lasted about a month then they saw they did not have the truck to replace the one being put out of service.
The CNWY Sterlings I see are a far cry from being held together so poorly. You wanna see Sterlings held together by duct tape and paper clips, Holland has plenty. Ones too broke to fix get salvaged for parts over there.

The CNWY Sterlings I see are a far cry from being held together so poorly. You wanna see Sterlings held together by duct tape and paper clips, Holland has plenty. Ones too broke to fix get salvaged for parts over there.
Agreed. You might have a few beat to hell, we have six in the yard now for sale. All not beat. One is falling apart.

On the other side , has anyone seen any new tractors being delivered since we went from Con-way to XPO?
I've only seen a few brand new city units. The automatics driving around here and no decals, just plain white. I wish we can get some more road units. Trucks are going down like crazy everyday. At least 2-4 red tagged all the time.

I wonder , with XPO looking for ways to save money , have they changed the maintenance schedules or the approach that shops take towards the equipment?