XPO | One-day logs

OHIODOCKWORKER

TB Lurker
Credits
My understanding is that Conway Freight wants linehaul and flex drivers to fill out logs for each day, so if you are off on vacation or a PTO day you have to fill out a log for each day. NONSENSE!!!!!! It states in the Federal Motor Carriers handbook that mutiples days can be logged on one log. I pity a driver that if off on LOA and has to come back and fill out 6 months of logs. If this is the case Conway should pay a driver to do this.

My understanding is that Conway Freight wants linehaul and flex drivers to fill out logs for each day, so if you are off on vacation or a PTO day you have to fill out a log for each day. NONSENSE!!!!!! It states in the Federal Motor Carriers handbook that mutiples days can be logged on one log. I pity a driver that if off on LOA and has to come back and fill out 6 months of logs. If this is the case Conway should pay a driver to do this.

Perhaps this poster does not understand that ,
FMC requirements are MINIMIUM LAW in USA .

Cities , counties , states , provinces ,
countries , and COMPANIES , CAN and often times
DO have MORE stringent , rules , laws , codes ,
ordinances , statutes , ect., than FMC .

This is WHY , the FMC states that it is the drivers responsibilty to know and follow these OTHER laws , where one operates a commercial
vehicle .

Just4Thought

The reason this is so is because Conway has now hired a 3rd party vendor to scan and file our logs...This is part of their requirements for that system to work properly. Nothing to do with FMC. At least in this case

Con-Way has us fill out a log sheet for each day because the sheets are scanned into a computer program that keeps track of hours and also sends electronically to Ann Arbor.The program only reads in 24 hour slots , so 1 for each day, not a big deal.It sounds like you are not a line driver,therefore you don't know that if you are off for six months on a LOA, you start your log fresh when you return to work and then fill out a previous 8 day sheet.

Log reading is another task that we outsource. The vendor that takes care of this for us does it with automatic optical scanners and apparently there are no allowances made for multiple day logs.

Oh, and they are compensated by the number of logs they read so more logs means more compensation.

Am curious who signed off on this because it really looks like a great gig.

You guys are'nt alone on this.About 2 yrs ago we went on the same system.Tarnishes some of the good feelings left over from a two week vacation.Try to look at it as your companies welcome back greeting.:smilie_132:

Let's see...company requirement as opposed to a DOT one, so looks like I'll be filling out multiple logs on the clock. What's the pay code for repetitive, meaningless, useless labor?

Let's see...company requirement as opposed to a DOT one, so looks like I'll be filling out multiple logs on the clock. What's the pay code for repetitive, meaningless, useless labor?

SSooo...who do you work for ...the DOT or Con-Way??

I know this is major strain on your time...30 minutes to complete two weeks logs...

When the DOT starts sending you paychecks let me know...I'm signin' up

Rat :loser:

Haven't they broken down IB Dock with a sub-code?

IB Dock w/re-weigh
YUP! That should stand up against all your criteria.​

logs

Worked for a company over twenty years ago who, at that time, required the same thing. When this was going on it was required by the fmcsa ( long ago ICC ) in an effort to keep drivers from running more than one log book. There was only one log book given to a driver each mth and it only had 31 pages in it.
Hard to remember all this stuff when you get OLD.

Was not this topic addressed and explained in detail on page 842 , subsection 73 , paragraph 47 , in the CNW policy provided to CNW employees ?

Just4Thought

Was not this topic addressed and explained in detail on page 842 , subsection 73 , paragraph 47 , in the CNW policy provided to CNW employees ?

Just4Thought

It was...

But now it must accessed on line and by the time you find it nobody can remember what you were looking for...

:hide: What is a LOG?:smilie_132:

A "log" is what the management of this company sets their collective @sses each on week trying to decide what assinine, useless, and damaging rule they can conjure to justify their job and salary..

Case in point...

VP "A" couldn't cut it in charge of the operations dept...so he is promoted to be in charge of Dept. "B"...in this case HR...

And there he is setting on his "log" in his office wondering how he is going to justify his continued employment to John L.

Eureka!!!...lets make any absence shy of a 24 hour notice inexcusable...that'll make the Big Guy happy...and I get to keep my 6 figure unimportant position for yet another week...

Further lets blow smoke up the @sses of the SCMs and have them to justify the 'new' policy to our slaves by saying we didn't have a policy before our 'new' one..now we got one and all is good!

That my friend is the definition of a 'log'

A "log" is what the management of this company sets their collective @sses each on week trying to decide what assinine, useless, and damaging rule they can conjure to justify their job and salary..

Case in point...

VP "A" couldn't cut it in charge of the operations dept...so he is promoted to be in charge of Dept. "B"...in this case HR...

And there he is setting on his "log" in his office wondering how he is going to justify his continued employment to John L.

Eureka!!!...lets make any absence shy of a 24 hour notice inexcusable...that'll make the Big Guy happy...and I get to keep my 6 figure unimportant position for yet another week...

Further lets blow smoke up the @sses of the SCMs and have them to justify the 'new' policy to our slaves by saying we didn't have a policy before our 'new' one..now we got one and all is good!

That my friend is the definition of a 'log'

:hide: Thanks for the explanation! :smilie_132:

Uh........

What?????...............

Wait..............

Do we change how we log or not? I am confused........

(hence my location code).......

How can we change?

How about this...suppose everyone log according the freakin' DOT rules... irrespective of what you think the company wants or requires.

There are too many :butt kiss: in our organization and way too many greedy b@stards manipulating the logs to suit their own interests.

Back in the day when all was good at the old barn we had three LH'ers called by XGO for falsifying logs...logging breaks they did not take...they were ratted out by another LHer..(forget it..don't even start!!!). They were on conference calls and given to understand that under no circumstances were logs to be falsified...whatever the reason or justification...

Sssoooo....what has changed?

Just follow the federal DOT rules and all is good!

Rat :smilie_132:

Why is this so hard to understand?Go back and look at the first replys on this.The Federal rules are the minimum requirements for info that is to be on a log sheet.The company has the right to require any and all info on their log sheets that they wish us to put on there as long as all Federally required info is on there , such as equipment #'s, name and signature,home office and terminal address.Anything after that, such as SIC code , employee #,or the like ,the Co. has every right to require this.These are the rules and if you don't like it ,walk into your SCM's office on Monday and quit if you can't handle it.I always say "Choose wisely which sword you fall on." Good luck at your new job.Enjoy your Top Ramen in your sleeper.