FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about money and CONTROL!

If you don't have a steering wheel and pedals, you don't have free will.

The reason we all fell in love with driving is freedom, freedom of the open road, freedom of choice. The feeling of that '67 Plymouth Valiant responding to my commands, lurching down a 2 lane road, knowing that I was only limited to my imagination (and fuel gauge). I was free!

That's what we are about to give away. Our heritage and our freedom.

Naw it had slant 6 704 and 8.25 am sterio standard eguipment

Right!

This one had a 273 small block v8...

No power steering or brakes. Zero creature comforts, not even an FM or 8 track player.

It was a handful, but I loved it. Lol

LmiZ8o

One of the biggest problems facing self-driving trucks has little to do with the technology

http://www.businessinsider.com/autonomous-trucks-self-driving-trucks-laws-2018-7

"We're not even close to prepared," Lynch said, for those trucks to function on the highway — a pre-existing system that's clogged with human drivers.

Donald Broughton, the managing partner of transportation analysis firm Broughton Capital, said it's true that self-driving trucks won't be barreling down the highway in the next five years.

But it's not just because of kinks in the technology — it's also because of legal complications..."

Operation Safe Driver Week, an annual enforcement spree put on by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, is set this year for July 15-21.

https://www.ccjdigital.com/dates-set-for-cvsas-annual-driver-focused-enforcement-blitz/

"Driving behaviors that will be targeted during the week include speeding, distracted driving, texting, failure to use a seat belt, following too closely, improper lane change, failure to obey traffic control devices and more.

Last year, nearly 39,000 citations and warnings were issued to truck drivers during Operation Safe Driver Week. More than 84 percent of these violations were for state and local moving violations."

https://cvsa.org/news-entry/2018-osd-week/

But it's not just because of kinks in the technology — it's also because of legal complications..."
I imagine the right lane bumper to bumper from IN to the Mighty Mac. I can't imagine the legal ramifications of programming an autonomous truck to exceed the speed limit or mildly violate any other laws. If they can't ebb & flow, it'll be gridlock. But, I'm a naysayer. I've got more years left than I want, but I don't lose sleep over being replaced. Heck, we just got written notice about some sort of Freightshaker CMS bug. Didn't pay any attention as I run Volvo. Nonetheless...

I imagine the right lane bumper to bumper from IN to the Mighty Mac. I can't imagine the legal ramifications of programming an autonomous truck to exceed the speed limit or mildly violate any other laws. If they can't ebb & flow, it'll be gridlock. But, I'm a naysayer. I've got more years left than I want, but I don't lose sleep over being replaced. Heck, we just got written notice about some sort of Freightshaker CMS bug. Didn't pay any attention as I run Volvo. Nonetheless...
Anyone willing to be honest about the projections for this tech is that widespread adoption of it is a few decades out.

I look at it like this. Trains and planes, both far easier to control autonomously, still generally require a human on board to mind things. Drones do exist, but they are not widespread by any means.

Until the day comes that engineers and pilots are made obsolete, I won't fear for my job.

Anyone willing to be honest about the projections for this tech is that widespread adoption of it is a few decades out.

I look at it like this. Trains and planes, both far easier to control autonomously, still generally require a human on board to mind things. Drones do exist, but they are not widespread by any means.

Until the day comes that engineers and pilots are made obsolete, I won't fear for my job.
They can take my job anytime. I am next in line at Coop Dispatch for Big Dave’s job,plus I get to wear his hat,and Donna,and Sherry will be my secretaries.....And Wong will be my assistant.

FMCSA Releases Mandated ‘Corrective Action Plan’ for CSA Program

https://www.truckinginfo.com/306819/fmcsa-releases-mandated-corrective-action-plan-for-csa-program-3

"FMCSA’s new corrective action plan outlines how the agency will address recommendations made in the National Academy of Sciences’ “Improving Motor Carrier Safety Measurement”report, which examines the effectiveness of the use of the percentile ranks produced by SMS for identifying high-risk carriers, and if not, what alternatives might be preferred."

"A key element of the NASA report is the recommendation that FMSCA study a more scientific modeling approach known as “Item Response Theory” and then consider implementing it to make the SMS function more accurately."

:hopelessness:

Solar panels on tractors linked to driver attraction and retention

https://www.fleetowner.com/ideaxcha...m=email&elq2=c9c98794bc4845c79fb44f430141f6dd

"A major motivator for fleets that choose solar has been “soft” benefits of driver satisfaction and retention. Something that should not be discounted given the current driver shortage."

REALLY? Where might this rank in the top 10 factors? :scratchhead: :chairshot:
Drivers could drive naked, and get a tan if they put one inside the cab too. Maybe could power a skillet, so you could cook? Or could power an electric water heater so you could shower in your truck? The savings would be huge! Cut your tanning fees, eating on the road expense, and the 12-15 dollar cost of a shower....

Solar panels on tractors linked to driver attraction and retention

https://www.fleetowner.com/ideaxcha...m=email&elq2=c9c98794bc4845c79fb44f430141f6dd

"A major motivator for fleets that choose solar has been “soft” benefits of driver satisfaction and retention. Something that should not be discounted given the current driver shortage."

REALLY? Where might this rank in the top 10 factors? :scratchhead: :chairshot:
As a team driver, I don't really understand the love affair with solar panels. The idea, I think, is that they power an inverter or assist in charging the batteries. Except all I've ever heard about commercial solar panels is that they fail quickly and are expensive to replace. O/O's aren't bothering so they don't save any money.

And I doubt a handful of solar panels at less than ideal angles will help with power enough to plug in amenities like microwaves and TV's.

As a team driver, I don't really understand the love affair with solar panels. The idea, I think, is that they power an inverter or assist in charging the batteries. Except all I've ever heard about commercial solar panels is that they fail quickly and are expensive to replace. O/O's aren't bothering so they don't save any money.

And I doubt a handful of solar panels at less than ideal angles will help with power enough to plug in amenities like microwaves and TV's.
What if a guy put in video gaming machines in his truck? So people could play them when he stops for breaks? Or while sitting waiting to load or unload? Look at the extra income for the truck owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.