FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The push to lower Amazon's costs, meets the reality of the labor market. Pilots, specifically being in short supply. Wait till they get down to Truck Drivers and Mechanics. The balance of Capitalism, eventually catches up.
Amazon is definitely late to the party where the "low-cost transportation" mentality is concerned. They are hoping to do it cheaper themselves compared to outsourcing to FedEx and UPS, but the reality is that they were given such preferential treatment that undercutting means nobody is going to want to work for what they're willing to pay.

Walmart is contending with that up here right now, having finally decided to do as they did stateside and bring the transportation in-house. It looks like Walmart Fleet offers a good deal, at least, but their ads don't say what they pay. Which means as of now, most of Walmart Canada's freight is still being moved by contract carriers like FTI.

Amazon is definitely late to the party where the "low-cost transportation" mentality is concerned. They are hoping to do it cheaper themselves compared to outsourcing to FedEx and UPS, but the reality is that they were given such preferential treatment that undercutting means nobody is going to want to work for what they're willing to pay.

Walmart is contending with that up here right now, having finally decided to do as they did stateside and bring the transportation in-house. It looks like Walmart Fleet offers a good deal, at least, but their ads don't say what they pay. Which means as of now, most of Walmart Canada's freight is still being moved by contract carriers like FTI.
I think you just hit the nail on the head CF....it seems companies just don't realize what kind of a deal they're getting from other companies such as UPS and FedEx until they try to do it on their own!! Not saying it can't be done but companies like UPS and FedEx already have the infastruce in place to allow for such pricing.

Used trucks values down more than 20% this year

http://www.ccjdigital.com/used-clas...rnal&ust_id=124f9551466b2c5785e539d1cda3c973&

"Based on the expected returning supply of 3-to 5-year-old trucks in the long term, Visser says he expects auction volume to continue to trend upward and pricing to trend downward.

The average sleeper tractor sold wholesale in October was 80 months old, had 563,349 miles and brought $30,863.

The average sleeper tractor retailed in October was 72 months old, had 463,378 miles and brought $49,661."

Speed limiters: State agencies question federal role, safety, roadside details

http://fleetowner.com/regulations/s...m=email&elq2=cd16796dd81547cb95b2931d0502258b

"Commercial vehicle enforcement agencies share many of the same real-world concerns expressed by carriers and drivers in formal comments on the DOT-proposed truck speed limiter mandate, such as the safety risks posed by speed differentials and “elephant races” on the freeways. But the enforcement side of the regulation also have concerns unique to their roles, ranging from roadside technical details to whether or not the federal government has any business imposing a one-size-fits-all speed limit on states that better understand their own highway systems."

Speed limiters: State agencies question federal role, safety, roadside details

http://fleetowner.com/regulations/s...m=email&elq2=cd16796dd81547cb95b2931d0502258b

"Commercial vehicle enforcement agencies share many of the same real-world concerns expressed by carriers and drivers in formal comments on the DOT-proposed truck speed limiter mandate, such as the safety risks posed by speed differentials and “elephant races” on the freeways. But the enforcement side of the regulation also have concerns unique to their roles, ranging from roadside technical details to whether or not the federal government has any business imposing a one-size-fits-all speed limit on states that better understand their own highway systems."
There are many drivers and agencies that are attempting to stop these regulations in their tracks, including the OOIDA. I have several friends who have joined the fight and they.encourage everyone to join in by contacting your Congressman.
Here's a response that one of them received for their efforts, I'll keep you posted with any further replies.
NOTE: his name and the Congressman's numbers were deleted to protect his identity.

o21LoFa.jpg

There are many drivers and agencies that are attempting to stop these regulations in their tracks, including the OOIDA. I have several friends who have joined the fight and they.encourage everyone to join in by contacting your Congressman.
Here's a response that one of them received for their efforts, I'll keep you posted with any further replies.
NOTE: his name and the Congressman's numbers were deleted to protect his identity.

o21LoFa.jpg

Perhaps that explains the sense of urgency (bordering on madness) from proponents:

Speed limiters: Safety groups want mandate—ASAP

http://fleetowner.com/regulations/s...m=email&elq2=6269c111cb8b4b878e81a5b50e1747fe

“These Semi vehicles are potential "life enders" going down our road ways, unchecked,” she says. “Government's job is to protect the citizens. Our Government is FAILING! Something needs to be done. Government cannot just stand by and let this go unchecked. In NO other industry would Government stand by and allow a 40% increase [in truck crashes]. … This is the only industry I can see that runs completely amuck and has NO checks and balances. This needs to stop!”

New Prime becomes latest fleet to request exemption for pre-CDL holders

http://www.ccjdigital.com/new-prime...urnal&ust_id=124f9551466b2c5785e539d1cda3c973

"The exemption would allow pre-CDL drivers for the carrier to begin work as a truck driver before returning to their home state to receive the license. The drivers for which Prime has requested the exemption have passed all necessary tests required to receive a CDL, but simply have not received their license.

Under terms of the exemption request, a CDL holder would always be in the truck with the learner’s permit holder, just not in the front seat at all times as current regulations require."

Amazon Drivers Say They Are Pushed to the Limit in Holiday Delivery Frenzy

Read more at: http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=44302&page=1

"Bernadean Rittman started driving for Amazon Flex earlier this year. The promised $18-an-hour pay was irresistible, and the mother of two needed to supplement her income as an insurance agent.

The allure vanished when she started driving. Rittman was working with Prime Now orders — an Amazon service launched in 2014 that allows customers to get a product within hours of clicking on it. She says Amazon gave her up to 72 packages to deliver in four hours, meaning she had to deposit one package roughly every three minutes.

There were several days when Rittman kept driving her SUV for two hours outside her delivery window, unpaid, to finish delivering all her packages."

Amazon Drivers Say They Are Pushed to the Limit in Holiday Delivery Frenzy

Read more at: http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=44302&page=1

"Bernadean Rittman started driving for Amazon Flex earlier this year. The promised $18-an-hour pay was irresistible, and the mother of two needed to supplement her income as an insurance agent.

The allure vanished when she started driving. Rittman was working with Prime Now orders — an Amazon service launched in 2014 that allows customers to get a product within hours of clicking on it. She says Amazon gave her up to 72 packages to deliver in four hours, meaning she had to deposit one package roughly every three minutes.

There were several days when Rittman kept driving her SUV for two hours outside her delivery window, unpaid, to finish delivering all her packages."
First, her stops per average figure has to potential to be skewed since she's figuring one package per stop but since we've all delivered freight at one point or another, we all know there's cases where multiple packages are delivered at one stop.

Second, she's a fool for continuing to work "off the clock" while using her own personal vehicle!! Not only is it illegal, but Amazon could face serious fines from the Govt for allowing her to work "off the clock" and she'd be entitled to back pay for preforming such duties.

Sometimes the blame has to be placed on the employee, ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking the law!!

Perhaps that explains the sense of urgency (bordering on madness) from proponents:

Speed limiters: Safety groups want mandate—ASAP

http://fleetowner.com/regulations/s...m=email&elq2=6269c111cb8b4b878e81a5b50e1747fe

“These Semi vehicles are potential "life enders" going down our road ways, unchecked,” she says. “Government's job is to protect the citizens. Our Government is FAILING! Something needs to be done. Government cannot just stand by and let this go unchecked. In NO other industry would Government stand by and allow a 40% increase [in truck crashes]. … This is the only industry I can see that runs completely amuck and has NO checks and balances. This needs to stop!”
Ms. Huffman fails to realize that truck related accidents aren't always the truck driver's fault. If we could place a speed limiter device on every four wheeler, I think we'd find that ALL accidents would decrease exponentially!!

Next, if we could place a device on every vehicle that locks out your cell phone while the vehicle is in motion (except for 911), along with those speed limiters for four wheelers, accidents could potentially be a thing of the past!!

First, her stops per average figure has to potential to be skewed since she's figuring one package per stop but since we've all delivered freight at one point or another, we all know there's cases where multiple packages are delivered at one stop.

Second, she's a fool for continuing to work "off the clock" while using her own personal vehicle!! Not only is it illegal, but Amazon could face serious fines from the Govt for allowing her to work "off the clock" and she'd be entitled to back pay for preforming such duties.

Sometimes the blame has to be placed on the employee, ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking the law!!
Wow, $18.00 an hr to deliver packages with your own vehicle, Sounds like Amazon preys on the desperate, and one more good reason to not do business with Amazon.

Ms. Huffman fails to realize that truck related accidents aren't always the truck driver's fault. If we could place a speed limiter device on every four wheeler, I think we'd find that ALL accidents would decrease exponentially!!

Next, if we could place a device on every vehicle that locks out your cell phone while the vehicle is in motion (except for 911), along with those speed limiters for four wheelers, accidents could potentially be a thing of the past!!
While I agree about the cell phone lock out you will never get rid of accidents, because while you could do all sorts of things to make it "safer" on the highways the one thing you can't fix is stupid, and stupid causes more accidents than any other cause.

Most truck-related accidents involve a speeding four wheeler that isn't paying attention driving into the truck, not the other way around.

I'm limited to 65 and it's unbelievable how often people in cars give me the finger just for trying to pass a slower moving vehicle. They don't tell the public that trucks are limited. There's no "we made you all safer" announcement. They just kneecapped us and moved on. The public thinks I'm cutting them off and driving slowly on purpose just because they know they can drive 75 and not get a ticket.

Desperate?? Just like UBER and LYFT. When you break it all down you lose money.
Yeah RAT desperate and I will also add misled. Uber Lyft and Amazon all want complete control over employees, without the burden of having employees. Amazon UBER and LYFT all skirt the law by not having operating authority, or the high liability cost associated with it. Then they have the balls to tell their carriers they should work cheaper.

Most truck-related accidents involve a speeding four wheeler that isn't paying attention driving into the truck, not the other way around.

I'm limited to 65 and it's unbelievable how often people in cars give me the finger just for trying to pass a slower moving vehicle. They don't tell the public that trucks are limited. There's no "we made you all safer" announcement. They just kneecapped us and moved on. The public thinks I'm cutting them off and driving slowly on purpose just because they know they can drive 75 and not get a ticket.
Yeah, you make a good point on informing the public. A sticker on the rear of the trailer could accomplish that.

On the other side of the equation, courtesy and enforcement (both) need to play a part. Seems to me if a pass takes more than, say 3 minutes, one of the drivers needs to back off. Either allow the overtake, or abandon it. There is not a significant gain to be had by either party. Enforcement of such could "encourage" decency by issuing fines to one or both, as well as costing the offender time. Precious time, far in excess of any seconds gained by making a 5 minute pass.

Yeah, you make a good point on informing the public. A sticker on the rear of the trailer could accomplish that.

On the other side of the equation, courtesy and enforcement (both) need to play a part. Seems to me if a pass takes more than, say 3 minutes, one of the drivers needs to back off. Either allow the overtake, or abandon it. There is not a significant gain to be had by either party. Enforcement of such could "encourage" decency by issuing fines to one or both, as well as costing the offender time. Precious time, far in excess of any seconds gained by making a 5 minute pass.
I agree wholeheartedly. The issue I'm facing is that there are some roads here where the speed limit is 70 and, accordingly, the 4 wheelers do 75-80. To these people, I'm deliberately slow even though it's not my fault. I only pass when a vehicle is going legitimately slow enough to pass, and occasionally the slower party makes it easier. But because I've slowed down some 4 wheeler sailing along at higher speeds, they get upset, impatient or both.

Patience and common sense has disappeared over the last 10 years. Rubbernecking is at an all time high here. Folks it's on the other side of the barrier wall, keep moving if it's not in your way and if it was serious enough to inform everyone of the details it will be on the newscast.

I agree wholeheartedly. The issue I'm facing is that there are some roads here where the speed limit is 70 and, accordingly, the 4 wheelers do 75-80. To these people, I'm deliberately slow even though it's not my fault. I only pass when a vehicle is going legitimately slow enough to pass, and occasionally the slower party makes it easier. But because I've slowed down some 4 wheeler sailing along at higher speeds, they get upset, impatient or both.
Absolutely a factor. The increased speed differential, is likely not being considered by the groups pushing the mandate. Also untrue in the article, was an assertion that drivers travel a various speeds by choice, even without limiters. Truth is, once the speeds are mechanically limited to at or below posted limit, most all tend to drive flat out (65). This causes additional hazards, such as rolling roadblocks (trains?), hampered mergings, lane changes, access to exit ramps on limited access roadways, etc. All real issues that contribute to declines in public perception, as well as reduced safety.

As far as passing, what about a mandated "switch", allowing a 1 minute "boost" in order to complete the pass? :smilie93c peelout: :poke::emoticon digging:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.