Out of luck

I-70/I-65 split, otherwise known as the spaghetti bowl. If they're running flat out through there and keep it on all wheels, which is highly unlikely flat out? It sounds like the police aren't doing there job. If we get two speeding tickets, were gone. I agree with you on the unsafe driving through area's like that is stupid on there part, but if the police would do there job in any area like that, a lot of that would stop!

The point is that it shouldn't take a ticket to get someone to slow the f*** down. There are signs everywhere that note what the speed limit is. You have no excuses. And most of the time they cannot get the truck to stay on all wheels. Accidents at the split due to speeding are all to common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparison studies can be had of ALL CARRIERS that as well have PLANES.
For all Truck and Trailer accidents/wrecks/collisions, such can be said of ALL MAJOR CARRIERS, simply enter name here.

WHO, besides Airbrakes, has it in for FedEx??
--Oh, and like Airbrakes stated so typically in another Accident Forum thread: ALL ACCIDENTS (including WEATHER related) ARE PREVENTABLE through the little known usage of PROPER TRIP PLANNING--
Gosh, WHO knows why we were not yielded such useful information when WE ALL BEGAN TRUCK DRIVING?!

CHEERS!!

All accidents are preventable, or at least 99% of them are. Always remember that in this industry whether or not a accident was your fault doesn't matter. What matters is if there was something that could have been done to prevent it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a former UPS Freight safety trainer,I learned that other than medical,mechanical & weather related crashes.
Every other crash is driver error,one or more either sleepy,or not focused on what they were doing.

As a former UPS Freight safety trainer,I learned that other than medical,mechanical & weather related crashes.
Every other crash is driver error,one or more either sleepy,or not focused on what they were doing.

I agree with you, for the most part. Even some mechanical, medical and weather related crashes can be avoided by not driving in the first place, which is my point in some of the other threads.

Thats so true Airbrakes.
One of my favorite pieces of advice I was always preaching at UPS Freight.
Which is don't matter what the dispatcher says.
Do not drive beyond your own judgment of what you feel is safe for you.
Any negative action is on you,who holds the CDL,not the guy sitting at the desk.

Thats so true Airbrakes.
One of my favorite pieces of advice I was always preaching at UPS Freight.
Which is don't matter what the dispatcher says.
Do not drive beyond your own judgment of what you feel is safe for you.
Any negative action is on you,who holds the CDL,not the guy sitting at the desk.

If you cannot see the vehicle in front of you while trying to maintain a safe following distance, it's time to call it a day and look for a safe haven to park until the weather gets better. When I trained at England and when I trained at DHL, this is what I taught and stressed to my students. Never drive beyond your ability to safely stop. There is just too many factors at play to leave something like that to chance.

Oh my Airbrakes you got me on a roll.
Seeing I did all of my driving in upstate NY in some wicked winter seasons.
Which I don't miss.

However here is another one of my famous sayings.
The faster it snows the slower I goes!

And it takes a lot less time driving,or not driving according to weather conditions.
Then it does waiting for a wrecker,making out the crash report & in some cases looking for another line of work.

Oh my Airbrakes you got me on a roll.
Seeing I did all of my driving in upstate NY in some wicked winter seasons.
Which I don't miss.

However here is another one of my famous sayings.
The faster it snows the slower I goes!

And it takes a lot less time driving,or not driving according to weather conditions.
Then it does waiting for a wrecker,making out the crash report & in some cases looking for another line of work.

Name the area, time of year and weather condition and I've driven through it on multiple occasions. I'm proud to say that I've driven over 1 million miles (and still counting) accident free. And it's not left to luck either. I'm accident free because I respect mother nature and local traffic laws.

*edit*

Respecting the equipment helps also. As long as you always maintain that level of respect for those 3 items, you won't have a accident.

Comparison studies can be had of ALL CARRIERS that as well have PLANES.
For all Truck and Trailer accidents/wrecks/collisions, such can be said of ALL MAJOR CARRIERS, simply enter name here.

WHO, besides Airbrakes, has it in for FedEx??
--Oh, and like Airbrakes stated so typically in another Accident Forum thread: ALL ACCIDENTS (including WEATHER related) ARE PREVENTABLE through the little known usage of PROPER TRIP PLANNING--
Gosh, WHO knows why we were not yielded such useful information when WE ALL BEGAN TRUCK DRIVING?!

CHEERS!!

Like do your proper trip plan, stay updated on the weather channel, know what lurks ahead.

Like do your proper trip plan, stay updated on the weather channel, know what lurks ahead.

I sense sarcasm, but this is what I'm stressing. There are more sources other than the weather channel. If you have a laptop and access to wifi in your truck, weather defender is currently the best source to use.

I have a line on a dew point detector. I hear they are illegal in Illinois though. Seems they have dew point detector detectors.

To tell you the truth AB. I had my share of driving in snow, fog, sleet and ice. I was lucky I never lost it. But when I needed a wrecker to pull me out on a stormy day I got a letter for my troubles so I booked of on snow storms. Tomorrow is another day you know what I mean?

One day (Sunday) in latter '09, i was driving a Combo (Day Cab and 53') up (Nth) Rt. 29 in Virginia (approaching Charlottesville) and the WEATHER had been horrible whereupon I was doing a mere 15-25 mph. Took 3.5 hours to travel what normally took about 1 1/2. Apparently Charlottesville doesn't know what SALT is for other than seasoning.
There were Combos and other vehicles stuck in the ICE as well jackknifed in the median.
There was one FedEx combo that was travelling the same direction in, what seemed to me, rather slow as the road was ICE chopped (few spots where the road was visible and worse than a washboard) and I mentioned "That's the slowest FedEx truck I've ever seen" whereupon it sped up and wasn't again seen.
Southbound side was equivalent in wrecks.
Went through again Monday and one truck with driver had been stuck since Friday on southbound and awaiting a Hooker (wrecker, tow truck).

Guess if I had a WEATHER (i.e., Snow, Ice, Fog, etc.) DETECTOR I could have taken a alternate route which may or not have been better.

To tell you the truth AB. I had my share of driving in snow, fog, sleet and ice. I was lucky I never lost it. But when I needed a wrecker to pull me out on a stormy day I got a letter for my troubles so I booked of on snow storms. Tomorrow is another day you know what I mean?

I had my share of that as well. Can't count how many times I saved the truck from a jacknife.

*and before someone says it*

black ice =/= fog =/= snow =/= rain =/= any other extreeme that reduces visibility

I had my share of that as well. Can't count how many times I saved the truck from a jacknife.

*and before someone says it*

black ice =/= fog =/= snow =/= rain =/= any other extreeme that reduces visibility

Reduced visibility is one thing..zero visibility is another, thus you are screwed in extreme dense fog but the responsibly is still yours may I add

Reduced visibility is one thing..zero visibility is another, thus you are screwed in extreme dense fog but the responsibly is still yours may I add

Yes, I completely agree. Responsibility is always yours regardless of what the weather is doing. After all, it was your call to drive in those conditions.

*update*

Here's a shocker for you guys:

On my way from the DC to the MPA. A Fedex Ground truck was westbound on I-70, ACTUALLY DRIVING SLOWER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT OF 55mph!!! Not only that, he flashed me over to merge when I passed him.

*marking this on my calander*

*update*

Here's a shocker for you guys:

On my way from the DC to the MPA. A Fedex Ground truck was westbound on I-70, ACTUALLY DRIVING SLOWER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT OF 55mph!!! Not only that, he flashed me over to merge when I passed him.

*marking this on my calander*

If you would have hollered at him on the radio, he probably would have answered you in English.:1036316054::LMAO: