XPO | Overtime exemption

Would you support this Bill ?

• Yes

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
You're kidding right? You're against getting premium pay rate after 8 hours? Wouldn't that make you even happier? If you're serious, please tell me your reasons for being against it, seriously.
I like to hear the rationale also . That being said everyone is entitled to their feelings on the subject.
The mileage rate does have built in higher compensation that works out as long as the driver is not delayed . I think this is more of an issue for linehaul dock time if the driver has crossed the 8 hr threshold of combined hours behind the wheel and on duty not driving . City drivers after 8 hours worked .
I think this is more of a city driver issue.

Last edited:
Delayed was the problem.

In Pharmacy its strictly Drop Hook and gone. Unloaded in 40 minutes reloaded with cardboard bales straight back to McKesson Memphis next dawn. Back to wherever repeat.

In FFE Blood Plasma its 3107ish miles from LA FFE to Avenel FFE drop hook team straight through, twice weekly 6200 something pay miles every 6th day.

The reason that was no money is because instead of paying us (A H/W Team) .82 to the truck times 6200 weekly they paid me salary and her 300 something a week. They paid us half what we would have made mileage to save a dollar.

We got away from their operation when several snafus in payroll failed to pay on damn near 7000 miles the previous week.

Grocery, Meat and Produce demands hideous bs waiting times that make you no money for the week. We once lost 85 hours waiting on Americold in Salinas also for FFE for about a thousand mile east run roughly. So not worth it. Probably because we told dispatch no on something else so they chose to hang us to dry.

9-11 was the ultimate problem money wise for us. We were told to go home collect unemployment however long until the payroll company was replaced. (They were destroyed) We had a 5 figure savings in cash then so we keep trucking. Got all of our money back and then some.

The entire trucking situation was the epitome of BS. Drivers are treated so badly as to have no value. One place I automatically reject is Sysco Boston. They treated us badly 40 years ago and continued to abuse us to this day. So they can shove it.

I made more money steadily without all the expenses and lost time trouble doing dishes for a freaking fish fast food working several nights a week for months. That was my most profitable job in my lifetime.

Overtime? Paid? HA Pigs fly...

I like to hear the rationale also . That being said everyone is entitled to their feelings on the subject.
The mileage rate does have built in higher compensation that works out as long as the driver is not delayed . I think this is more of an issue for linehaul dock time if the driver has crossed the 8 hr threshold of combined hours behind the wheel and on duty not driving . City drivers after 8 hours worked .
I think this is more of a city driver issue.
No offense OV but I disagree with the contention that the mileage rate having a "built in higher compensation" eliminates the need for an overtime rate for all work after 8 hours. Whether the mileage rate is higher or not doesn't take away from the fact that all time worked after 8 hours should be at 1-1/2 times the regular rate. Why not? UPS Parcel feeder drivers are highly paid hourly and get OT rate after 8 hours work on their road runs.

Delayed was the problem.

In Pharmacy its strictly Drop Hook and gone. Unloaded in 40 minutes reloaded with cardboard bales straight back to McKesson Memphis next dawn. Back to wherever repeat.

In FFE Blood Plasma its 3107ish miles from LA FFE to Avenel FFE drop hook team straight through, twice weekly 6200 something pay miles every 6th day.

The reason that was no money is because instead of paying us (A H/W Team) .82 to the truck times 6200 weekly they paid me salary and her 300 something a week. They paid us half what we would have made mileage to save a dollar.

We got away from their operation when several snafus in payroll failed to pay on damn near 7000 miles the previous week.

Grocery, Meat and Produce demands hideous bs waiting times that make you no money for the week. We once lost 85 hours waiting on Americold in Salinas also for FFE for about a thousand mile east run roughly. So not worth it. Probably because we told dispatch no on something else so they chose to hang us to dry.

9-11 was the ultimate problem money wise for us. We were told to go home collect unemployment however long until the payroll company was replaced. (They were destroyed) We had a 5 figure savings in cash then so we keep trucking. Got all of our money back and then some.

The entire trucking situation was the epitome of BS. Drivers are treated so badly as to have no value. One place I automatically reject is Sysco Boston. They treated us badly 40 years ago and continued to abuse us to this day. So they can shove it.

I made more money steadily without all the expenses and lost time trouble doing dishes for a freaking fish fast food working several nights a week for months. That was my most profitable job in my lifetime.

Overtime? Paid? HA Pigs fly...
You talking Arthur Treacher fish and chips ,Long John Silver , Reds Lobster

No offense OV but I disagree with the contention that the mileage rate having a "built in higher compensation" eliminates the need for an overtime rate for all work after 8 hours. Whether the mileage rate is higher or not doesn't take away from the fact that all time worked after 8 hours should be at 1-1/2 times the regular rate. Why not? UPS Parcel feeder drivers are highly paid hourly and get OT rate after 8 hours work on their road runs.
No Offense taken. You do raise a valid point. Thanks for your rebuttal. I value your opinion.

I know that it would never happen, It would bankrupt all Ltl Carriers but think of the back pay for twenty years of working over 40 , more like 55 hours a week , every week that we all have pulled in the past. Like I said that's not a possibility, all companies were in compliance with laws applicable as regards to overtime up till now. It's a 1930s law. They all live in the past in that regard.

You're kidding right? You're against getting premium pay rate after 8 hours? Wouldn't that make you even happier? If you're serious, please tell me your reasons for being against it, seriously.
Would it make me happier? Of course. I’d don’t see it happening. Our city drivers are paid overtime after eight hours. I agree that should be across the board for all hourly paid employees. Though I’ve never figured it out, I think I make out ok the way I am paid now, mileage and hourly with no ot.

You talking Arthur Treacher fish and chips ,Long John Silver , Reds Lobster
Yes all of them. The dishes were done at Johns. And we had a tavern growing up.

There was a gal that was really good with us in that crew there for a while. If things were a little more prosperity in economics of minimum wage living in a area of the USA that does not acknowledge or support same I would have stayed. And a bunch of kids too.

But no. Life is life. Good, bad and the ugly. Those dishes were not that difficult. The same slopping 300 pounders whaling to the squeaky booth shoving little finger food into their cheek bags while the false teeth dried on teh corner.

You see things that cannot be unseen in a place like that.

I know that it would never happen, It would bankrupt all Ltl Carriers but think of the back pay for twenty years of working over 40 , more like 55 hours a week , every week that we all have pulled in the past. Like I said that's not a possibility, all companies were in compliance with laws applicable as regards to overtime up till now. It's a 1930s law. They all live in the past in that regard.
I don’t think back pay would ever be an issue . It’s not as if the companies were disregarding the law .
OT after 8 or 40 going forward would not bankrupt any company.

Would it make me happier? Of course. I’d don’t see it happening. Our city drivers are paid overtime after eight hours. I agree that should be across the board for all hourly paid employees. Though I’ve never figured it out, I think I make out ok the way I am paid now, mileage and hourly with no ot.
City drivers in the south do not get paid OT until they work over 50 ( someone can correct me if I’m wrong )

City drivers in the south do not get paid OT until they work over 50 ( someone can correct me if I’m wrong )
That is correct. It has been a big point of contention for as long as I’ve been here. They may get ot after a certain thresh, 45 or 50 hours. That should be changed.