Pitt-Ohio | P&D Drivers and Dockworkers Will Now Be Paid Time and a Half For All Hours Over 40 At Time Of Hire

Washboard

TB Lurker
Credits
Pitt Ohio has eliminated its policy of paying straight time for all hours worked by city drivers and dock workers up until their third anniversary. While the hourly rate is a few dollars lower than other carriers who do not pay time and a half until 55 or 60 hours, the easily attainable threshold of 40 hours along with free health insurance and 6 pay increases in the first 3 years of employment will help to make the company more competitive when looking to fill these positions.

How about decades of back pay when they failed to pay time and half.

Twice I have walked from Job Hire when learning about the precious time and half starting at 55 or whatever hours. The boss man would ask wtf you going? I told him I aint wasting 40 hours plus at the same pay. Its time and half at 40 and 1 minute beyond or nothing at all. I cannot stand BS games.

Still don't.

Try to bend a trucking company backwards to save a dollar. And they wonder why they plow mountains more of the same into trying to fix whatever issues in driver or worker retention.

There won’t be any back pay because the companies were operating within the law when not paying overtime after 40 hours and a prospective employee is made aware of the policy prior to be hired, so to accept a job offer is to accept the company’s overtime policy. What I question is why a law dating back to 1935 hasn’t at least been amended to better fit the trucking industry of today which has benefited greatly from vast iimprovements in both technology and the infrastructure.

There won’t be any back pay because the companies were operating within the law when not paying overtime after 40 hours and a prospective employee is made aware of the policy prior to be hired, so to accept a job offer is to accept the company’s overtime policy. What I question is why a law dating back to 1935 hasn’t at least been amended to better fit the trucking industry of today which has benefited greatly from vast iimprovements in both technology and the infrastructure.
There are many things still standing dating to the 1930's which are a parasite eroding Truckers and their ability to take home adequate earnings to do well.

Everything from the top to bottom is all about cutting costs and so they have, combined with inflation in my lifetime from the 70's to today. Earned about over 30,000 in the 80's maybe 40 some years. More than what my pa earned working for the gas company after 25 years. 20 years after that I got into the realm of 70K and was debt free etc. That's filing jointly as two drivers. (Husband and wife.) which shows that earnings in the early 2000's came out to about 4.50 a hour for each of us for all of our combined hours rolling that semi for the year.

I remember my very first year in trucking. Earnings net was approaching 50,000 with the promise that if I got old enough to be approved to run gasoline tankers it would have almost doubled. I was taking home 700 or so weekly and the gasoline side drivers were 4 figure nets.

That kind of money to a 21 year old is just corrupting. there was nothing anywhere in my education or upraising on managing money. Certainly not that kind of money that just overflowed everything. That particular trucking company is now a overgrown field. Out of the business entirely. Why? Failure to pay taxes to the State. And so their authority to operate was revoked. And forced to close.

When I was 35 it was easier to net 1500 after taxes etc. Managing that kind of money each week in trucking in those days meant that there is plenty of possibilities for the coming year and always some in savings. The morning of 9-11 wife and I had 16000 on hand in cash or like cash in bank ready to go. We were told that our payroll was destroyed. Do we go home and file unemployment with employer blessing for weeks or months? Or do we have the money to keep rolling and they will settle us up with the new payroll with however many weeks worth of earnings then?

We rolled.

Last edited:
I have so much to say in response to your post but unfortunately my thoughts have to be funneled through my 2 index fingers while en route to the screen, which I don’t have time for at the moment. I’m looking forward to continuing this conversation, probably over the weekend.

Pitt Ohio has eliminated its policy of paying straight time for all hours worked by city drivers and dock workers up until their third anniversary. While the hourly rate is a few dollars lower than other carriers who do not pay time and a half until 55 or 60 hours, the easily attainable threshold of 40 hours along with free health insurance and 6 pay increases in the first 3 years of employment will help to make the company more competitive when looking to fill these positions.
That's a huge change for you guys and a costly one. Definitely better for morale with the new drivers. Was it driven to keep new drivers from leaving and/or to attract new drivers.

Probably both but especially to attract new hires. Our TM said he’s having difficulty finding anyone for any position. The free healthcare is awesome but when I was 20 something it wasn’t on my radar. More money to start should help.

There are many things still standing dating to the 1930's which are a parasite eroding Truckers and their ability to take home adequate earnings to do well.......
My annual salary adjusted for inflation is comparable to that of a well paid driver in the mid-1970's, but the number of hours worked to earn that salary has increased by 40-50% compared to back then. I try not to dwell on what used to be and keep things in perspective by only asking myself if I feel I'm compensated fairly for what I do, and I do feel I am.

On the other hand, having been raised in and worked in a trucking industry that was very different than it is today, I wonder why a man or woman who chooses not to go to college but instead learn a trade would want to get into trucking nowadays. Back then the tradeoff for dealing with bad weather, bad drivers, and long, odd hours was a sense of freedom, independence, and trust, even as a company driver, that didn't exist in most other trades. You had your stressful moments or bad days but there was still no other way you'd rather earn a living because the job offered a sense of reward that was hard to find in any other occupation. With the ever increasing amount of new technology monitoring and in some cases controlling the operation of the truck we've lost what made the job attractive to begin with, while bad weather, long, odd hours, and even worse drivers are still part of our daily challenges. I understand the company's side of this and how this technology benefits them in many ways, but dismissing our concerns with the attitude of "don't do anything wrong and you'll have nothing to worry about" is to not fully comprehend why many of us entered this field to begin with, and why many of us who went through most of their career without thinking much about retirement beyond trying to save up it, now have retirement countdown clocks on their phones or computers that are viewed on a daily basis.

I remember my very first year in trucking. Earnings net was approaching 50,000 with the promise that if I got old enough to be approved to run gasoline tankers it would have almost doubled. I was taking home 700 or so weekly and the gasoline side drivers were 4 figure nets.

That kind of money to a 21 year old is just corrupting. there was nothing anywhere in my education or upraising on managing money. Certainly not that kind of money that just overflowed everything.
To your point about being young with plenty of spending money....yeah, lol.
In the mid-late 1980's I was working as a union Glazier in NYC, installing windows in new Manhattan high-rise buildings for the most part. I had several years where I earned in excess of $40000 during that decade but what I didn't have was a financial education, and therefore no savings. I think our education system failed us and continues to fail high school students today by barely, if at all, teaching how to properly manage personal expenses or maintain a household budget. I believe this is to blame for so many families in this country living paycheck to paycheck while earning a sustainable income. I'm pleased with how I've benefited from being disciplined and making common sense decisions when spending and investing money in recent years but if I had known then what I know now, I'd be typing this message while sitting in a beach chair somewhere in the Caribbean and not an office chair in a spare bedroom.

To your point about being young with plenty of spending money....yeah, lol.
In the mid-late 1980's I was working as a union Glazier in NYC, installing windows in new Manhattan high-rise buildings for the most part. I had several years where I earned in excess of $40000 during that decade but what I didn't have was a financial education, and therefore no savings. I think our education system failed us and continues to fail high school students today by barely, if at all, teaching how to properly manage personal expenses or maintain a household budget. I believe this is to blame for so many families in this country living paycheck to paycheck while earning a sustainable income. I'm pleased with how I've benefited from being disciplined and making common sense decisions when spending and investing money in recent years but if I had known then what I know now, I'd be typing this message while sitting in a beach chair somewhere in the Caribbean and not an office chair in a spare bedroom.
I don't believe schools are to blame completely. Parents need to teach this value to children themselves. When I was old enough to understand money , I would ask for something and get told no due to the cost. But my parents would also explain that you have to live within you means, Rent, bills , food come first then luxuries, my household only had rabbit ear antenna TV's, used cars and such. But my father said we always had plenty to eat, no debt and lived comfortable-There is more to life than shiny things ! When I wanted stuff I did odd jobs so i can by them and he was good with that-I earned the money. Now everybody wants to live a big house and drive big cars, which carry big debt. Why 2 parents and 2 kids need 5 bedrooms and 4000 sq feet is beyond me.

I don't believe schools are to blame completely. Parents need to teach this value to children themselves.
I agree, this is where parents need to teach the basic life lessons that schools don’t, but unfortunately they themselves were not taught how to properly manage money and are passing their bad habits down to the next generation. It’s not easy to explain to a teen how a savings account balance is more attractive than a $40,000 vehicle that serves the same purpose as a $10,000 or $20,000 vehicle.

Hopefully if Americans learn anything from this last year it’s that nothing is guaranteed. While my wife and my income went up in 2020, obviously a lot of people made significantly less. No one was there to pay their big car payments or to feed them at the time. We have always taught our children self reliance but not being able to buy toilet paper really drove our point home to them. The brand new cars lose their appeal when you have nothing to eat. Unfortunately it seems most Americans have already forgotten what happened in 2020, checks from the money tree in the mail are helping them forget.

somebody says you are now Guaranteed 50 hours a week, sounded weird but who knows these days !

I have a online interview next Tuesday. There hiring out of the Columbus, OHIO location.

Not sure if i want City P@D or Linehaul. Have to see what they want to offer me

I do like the job i have now. But either one of these positions is better than what i have now..
Columbus is pretty much the same, we have like 5ish drivers that could retire any time. Longest bid run is Cumberland Md, just under 600 miles. Lots of triangles for bottom guys though. I don’t think anyone at bottom will be starving. No idea about city details other than you can make more in less hours on linehaul. Whether city or linehaul everyone is getting all the miles/hours they want.