Pitt-Ohio | P&D Drivers and Dockworkers Will Now Be Paid Time and a Half For All Hours Over 40 At Time Of Hire

C

Cool. What type of start times or runs should i expect on either drivers side?
A new city driver at my terminal would likely start at 8:30 or 9:00 and cover various runs based on needs, and expect anywhere from 8-11 hours a day. It’s tough to narrow it down more than that as freight volumes vary from one day to the next and given the nature of the business, p&d runs are being routed in the early morning hours when the planner has a better idea of what freight is coming in off the linehaul trucks. As Michaelscott said, you can make more in the same amount of time on linehaul, but you need to choose which lifestyle fits you best. There are city drivers who say they will not work linehaul under any circumstances and vice versa.

A new city driver at my terminal would likely start at 8:30 or 9:00 and cover various runs based on needs, and expect anywhere from 8-11 hours a day. It’s tough to narrow it down more than that as freight volumes vary from one day to the next and given the nature of the business, p&d runs are being routed in the early morning hours when the planner has a better idea of what freight is coming in off the linehaul trucks. As Michaelscott said, you can make more in the same amount of time on linehaul, but you need to choose which lifestyle fits you best. There are city drivers who say they will not work linehaul under any circumstances and vice versa.
Well i haved my virtual online interview today with someone out of Pittsburgh.
Waiting to hear back in this next week. From Chris out of Columbus, OHIO for a interview with him.

I was told there only hiring for 1 city driver and 1 linehaul driver. I chose linehaul. With the number of people there intervewing not sure my chances.

Currently in the Columbus OH. Market is there currently a 3 or 4 year wage progression going on.

I see the starting wage for linehaul. But what is current top scale for . Linehaul and City P@D driver

Ok . if a starting linehaul driving is only getting between 1300-1700 miles a week.

How many hour are u on a the clock per day or for the whole week? 30-40 or 40-50 hours?

I assume someone told you 1300-1700 miles a week? I know the bottom drivers in Columbus are getting over 1700 miles a week. I’m guessing they low balled the number as to not over promise. If I had to guess I’d say if you get 2000 miles you would probably be 40-50 hours on the bottom. But that’s just a guess.

I’d say they were definitely under-promising with those miles. I’ve seen more than one new driver at our terminal get exactly what they were promised and then complain not even a month later that they might have to quit because they’re not making any money, so maybe under-promising is the way to go. I don’t t know if they do a single Cincy turn out of there, so I assume maybe an Indy turn would be the shortest bid run out of Columbus?? If so, that’s less than 400 miles round trip but once you leave the terminal you are part of the linehaul system and they will use you as needed, provided they get you back to your home terminal before your hours run out. How often you might get extra miles on a run like that is unpredictable and based on needs, but as busy as we are currently my opinion is that you should consistently be at least at the high end of that range. Also, you might have the option to work a few hours on the dock before your run but that varies from terminal to terminal.

Shortest run on our bid is Van Wert Ohio, 131 miles. I don’t think we’ve run that in the last year. Shortest run we actually do occasionally is Cleveland, 140 miles. It would be extremely rare to come straight back from Clv and even if you do we have other things to move out of Col. Most likely run would be Washington, 166 miles. Lots of 500 mile+ triangles come out of wsh. Worst case scenario inbound always needs someone to run yard truck when we get back.

I have a interview next Thursday for Linehaul Position. With Chris terminal manager.

What is this gentlemen like? Any info or hints to let me know.

Oh does Pitt OHIO offer a driver referall bonus. If so first driver out of Columbus , That PM your name will get it...

How about decades of back pay when they failed to pay time and half.

Twice I have walked from Job Hire when learning about the precious time and half starting at 55 or whatever hours. The boss man would ask wtf you going? I told him I aint wasting 40 hours plus at the same pay. Its time and half at 40 and 1 minute beyond or nothing at all. I cannot stand BS games.

Still don't.

Try to bend a trucking company backwards to save a dollar. And they wonder why they plow mountains more of the same into trying to fix whatever issues in driver or worker retention.
Teamster Line Drivers do not get paid time & one half for hours worked over 40??
But P&D Teamster drivers do??

I don’t know of any LTL that pays a premium over 40 hours to drivers that are not paid hourly. On the other hand, in most cases a linehaul driver’s pay works out to a higher hourly rate than what a p&d driver earns at the same company.
Ha ha ha as soon as the wheels stop ZERO PER HOUR mileage pay should be outlawed it is criminal activity

Last edited:
Ha ha ha as soon as the wheels stop ZERO PER HOUR mileage pay should be outlawed it is criminal activity
If it “should” be outlawed but isn’t, then it’s not criminal activity, the Teamsters negotiate contracts based on mileage pay. When, at the end of each day, I divide my earnings by the total number hours total on-duty and am satisfied that I’m being compensated fairly I don’t concern myself with how that amount was calculated. It’s typically $7-8 per hour more than if I were paid at our top hourly rate with o/t after 40 hours. Based on what I’ve seen, many more drivers in LTL transfer from city to road than the reverse, so I guess drivers must really enjoy getting cheated by their employers.

If it “should” be outlawed but isn’t, then it’s not criminal activity, the Teamsters negotiate contracts based on mileage pay. When, at the end of each day, I divide my earnings by the total number hours total on-duty and am satisfied that I’m being compensated fairly I don’t concern myself with how that amount was calculated. It’s typically $7-8 per hour more than if I were paid at our top hourly rate with o/t after 40 hours. Based on what I’ve seen, many more drivers in LTL transfer from city to road than the reverse, so I guess drivers must really enjoy getting cheated by their employers.
I see your point in LTL.....but me personally I think the problem is with truckload paying that way....

Based on what I’ve seen, many more drivers in LTL transfer from city to road than the reverse, so I guess drivers must really enjoy getting cheated by their employers.
My guess to that is their bodies just can't take it anymore. The older p&d guys at my place are just worn out