FedEx Freight | Part Time Pay Raises

Dock Man

Logistical Engineer
Credits
Apologies, I know this forums are mainly for drivers but as most drivers also work the dock thought it should be brought up.

It was announced yesterday that as of May 29th, part-time employees will get a $2 raise. This means that a new part-time employee will be making $23 walking in the door, no experience necessary. Which is really good for them! When I started it was $16.25. It was once again explained that it was done to stay competitive and help with retention. But once again in fine FedEx fashion this seems to be done ass backwards.

I don't believe that the money their paying is the problem. Even at $21 an hour plus benefits and a fixed schedule, you would be hard pressed to find a better part-time job. They are hiring young people who would rather be out at night and not a work. Plus with housing costs, most still live at home which provides a soft spot to land.

They could have went with signing bonuses or after 6 months you're at top scale. But they gave them the whole hog. But you really should have given money to the top people first, this shows new folks what they have to look forward to and strive for if they stick around.

Also now you have created another retention issue, those who are full time and have been there for three years or more get nothing. Sorry, they got a "maybe" we'll get something in October. Maybe is what I tell my kids when I don't want to say no. Now you stand a chance of losing your most skilled and knowledgeable people. Also these are the ones who you want to train new hires.

Would like to hear your opinions as perhaps my view is skewed.

I understand their logic, trying to attract and retain dock workers who may become drivers via the DDC. But I'm also frustrated that a part-time dock position pays nearly the same as my bottom-GPD hourly rate. If FedEx Freight doesn't want its retention problem to start trickling down to smaller hubs and EOL centers, they need to finish killing off that bottom GPD pay scale this October. We've got a lot of guys looking at other opportunities already. If we hear more excuses this fall on why we're not worthy of a bump up to the next pay scale, I expect at least a couple will find something better for themselves.

I am :17142:

If they load the way they're supposed to, shouldn't be an issue. From what I've seen, they don't so it is what it is.
I'll be sure and thank you profusely when I have to break one of your "extra hard" hooked trailers at my hub shift.

Come on, don't be that guy. Like Triplex said, you're just screwing people who have nothing to do with the decision the company made -- and who may not be part-time dock in the first place.

I'll be sure and thank you profusely when I have to break one of your "extra hard" hooked trailers at my hub shift.

Come on, don't be that guy. Like Triplex said, you're just screwing people who have nothing to do with the decision the company made -- and who may not be part-time dock in the first place.

It's not hard to strap freight and put up a blocking bar. I go above and beyond with loading trailers and securing freight. I even got a fancy little plaque for it, but these part time dock workers suck. They get trained properly and then load/stack freight in a manner that's just irresponsible. Too lazy to throw up a blocking bar, too lazy to get off your lift and strap a piece a freight... Their even too lazy to reweigh and dimension multiple pieces of freight. They just do the same one over and over until it matches how many HUs are registered.... That gets them pushed up to step 1 of a city driver and more than step 1 of full-time dock. That tells me to half ass it like they do.

It's not hard to strap freight and put up a blocking bar. I go above and beyond with loading trailers and securing freight. I even got a fancy little plaque for it, but these part time dock workers suck. They get trained properly and then load/stack freight in a manner that's just irresponsible. Too lazy to throw up a blocking bar, too lazy to get off your lift and strap a piece a freight... Their even too lazy to reweigh and dimension multiple pieces of freight. They just do the same one over and over until it matches how many HUs are registered.... That gets them pushed up to step 1 of a city driver and more than step 1 of full-time dock. That tells me to half ass it like they do.
You're preaching to the choir, friend.

Most nights I'm lucky if I break two trailers on the hub shift because I spend so much time rebuilding trailers others have half-assed.

Which is why I said what I did: What if another nitpicky-loading driver like you or me gets ahold of your trailer after you've jarred it extra hard while hooking or docking it? You're just making more work for a hand who's already doing more work than two or three of those lazy cats you're talking about. I can't be that guy. I hope you won't, either.

You're preaching to the choir, friend.

Most nights I'm lucky if I break two trailers on the hub shift because I spend so much time rebuilding trailers others have half-assed.

Which is why I said what I did: What if another nitpicky-loading driver like you or me gets ahold of your trailer after you've jarred it extra hard while hooking or docking it? You're just making more work for a hand who's already doing more work than two or three of those lazy cats you're talking about. I can't be that guy. I hope you won't, either.

I remember when I first started working here (about 3 years ago), if a trailer was jacked up, they called back the people the jacked it up to fix it. Then they threw in some formal coaching for extra measure. Today, nobody cares. Get the weight to 12 thousand whatever and close it. Nothing else matters. If it's messed up, get the guy that knows how to load to rework the whole thing even though it wasn't his wrong doing. Isn't that punishing someone for something they didn't do?

When I first went road, dispatcher tells me "make sure you make your gate". I told him "make sure the hazmat is secure and the door is closed on time". He had nothing to say. I get why the pride in working here diminishes.

If you want dock workers to do the right thing, offer them an incentive. A bonus for x bills per hour and zero OS&D claims. Pay increases don't do anything for them because it's usually just supplemental income.

Part time dock gets a decent mid year increase.... Crickets for us. Well, I guess we see who's important here. I'll make sure to hook that set a little harder so those guys earn that raise.

This is probably one of the single most frustrating things I have read on here.

You're basically saying "I don't care about them, what about meeeeeeeeee. I want it! I Need something!" Even though this is exactly what happened for city drivers recently in a lot of metros to help be competitive, and I did not hear a single dock worker complain about them getting something but not the dock. The driver force here, and maybe its just more prevalent on these boards, is so negative immediately. This is GOOD news, our TEAM members are getting paid the wages they deserve.... It probably took to long to get there to be honest, but you hooking harder to stick it to the guys who had nothing to do with the decision? C'Mon. That's a child's answer to their parents saying no to going out so you start hitting your sibling because they were happy playing games. And trying to now turn it into "they should have loaded it right so it shouldnt matter", you're still in the wrong here.

I am going to guess you also didn't take the survey to make your voice heard because you would rather talk to those who agree with you so you can get validation about being upset over a perceived slight that in reality ISNT one.

Dock man said in this original post that there were other options for this, and while that is true, the reality I hope there was thought put into the decision and this was determined the best choice to stay competitive. Could we have have offered sign on and top pay after XX months? Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that there are other jobs driving a forklift PT for the same or higher pay so we HAVE to do something. Otherwise the same people complaining about this will start complaining about the fact that they have to work the dock to get their loads ready because 'we cant hire anyone'.

I have said this in posts past too, generalizations like 'they all just live at home anyway' only hurt the arguments. The same inflation you complain about needing a raise to combat is the same thing keeping them there from all the guys on the dock I talk to that are TRYING to get out of their parents house.

The different job classes are not enemies just because they have a different title and job. Without each other, none of us would have a job.

chopped down for character limit

I am going to guess you also didn't take the survey to make your voice heard because you would rather talk to those who agree with you so you can get validation about being upset over a perceived slight that in reality ISNT one.

I took the survey. Go over to the survey thread and take a look at my replies. I also email district operations when I have issues with management and integrity. I'm on the ethics website so much, my browser has it marked as favorite. I defend things worthy of defense and complain about things worthy of complaining about. I welcome you to go through my comment history before making assumptions.

The problem is that inflation has our wages decreasing. Our past raises have been disappointing and we hear all the excuses as to why, but the raise of a part time dock worker is higher than that of drivers and full time dock workers. Not only is the raise higher, it's in the middle of the year. We have to wait until November to see what (if anything) we're getting.

Drivers got bumped to top rate because other LTL companies we're doing that and they didn't want to offer sign up bonuses. Drivers are also harder to recruit than dock workers. Local drivers get caught in that seniorty security and they're less likely to jump to another company. Dock workers are a penny a dozen, how can bumping them up to step 1 driver pay be beneficial? When you talk to dock workers ask them why they won't go through the program. It's is usually weed or driving history.

Edit: as for talking to those that agree with me, I say again, go through my history. People usually disagree with me, but I stand by my beliefs.

Last edited:
Apologies, I know this forums are mainly for drivers but as most drivers also work the dock thought it should be brought up.
Dock Man , you are more than welcome here to voice your opinions .
Feel free to invite others from your barn . Get it off your chest but just
be careful to protect your ID and barn . Many TM's lurk and love to
retaliate on the people that come here and speak up for themselves .

Glad to have you Dock Man
SMOKESTACK - TB ADMIN , hot dog eater , squirrel server feeder , nut slamming , beer & whiskey (acorn mash white lighting) drinking SOB .

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing people get the money they deserve. But is it too much to ask to spread the love.

Also found out that they are bumping those full timers who have not yet made it to tier two to that tier. But the kicker is, it's only $0.70 more than a part timer. So what is the incentive too go to full-time?

More hours, all benefits.
But they are already letting them work 8 hours and they recieved the same benefits with the exception of building vacation, paid holidays, and life insurance.

To me this whole thing seems rushed and only half baked. If anything perhaps the should have waited until October then told everyone they were getting a raise.

Last edited:
But they are already letting them work 8 hours and they recieved the same benefits with the exception of building vacation, paid holidays, and life insurance.

To me this whole thing seems rushed and only half baked. If anything perhaps the should have waited until October then told everyone they were getting a raise.
Like I said, all benefits.