XPO | Parted ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take lunch every day thank you.

1) Publicly traded companies don't exactly "present whatever metrics they choose" as you claim. They are under scrutiny by the SEC, by accounting audits, by analysts following them, and by knowledgeable investors/shareholders. Any faking of the numbers won't be hidden for very long for the most part.
Fudging, not faking. A fairly well known example (to me) was Yellow/DOD. Surely Yellow presented billed weight moved, not actual weight. As we all know, common practice across the industry.

However, the company has no direct influence on the share price, that's strictly determined by traders/investors bidding up the price by purchasing shares when they think the company is profitable/growing or dropping the price when they think the company isn't doing well.
Traders/investors don’t take into account quarterly #s? Numbers a company chooses to announce(advertise, if you will)? I’ll humor you with two examples.
1. Swap trailers. May be a full 53’ sure, drops stops per hour.
2. Expansion. Sure a company opened four additional terminals. Three of four are <20 doors on dirt lots.

I’m not accusing any company of fraud. However, many of us see the games played to entice prospective stock purchasers.

Fudging, not faking. A fairly well known example (to me) was Yellow/DOD. Surely Yellow presented billed weight moved, not actual weight. As we all know, common practice across the industry.

Traders/investors don’t take into account quarterly #s? Numbers a company chooses to announce(advertise, if you will)? I’ll humor you with two examples.
1. Swap trailers. May be a full 53’ sure, drops stops per hour.
2. Expansion. Sure a company opened four additional terminals. Three of four are <20 doors on dirt lots.

I’m not accusing any company of fraud. However, many of us see the games played to entice prospective stock purchasers.
Humor me? You obviously think you and "many of us", as you say, are privy to some nefarious inside "fudging" going on and that serious financial professionals are so naive that they only rely on quarterly numbers announced by the company and that they would be fooled by tiny dirt lot terminals. A serious professional financial analyst covering a specific company goes a lot deeper into a company than just reading what a company publishes. Many will even visit various company facilities to get first hand information. But think whatever you like, no sense trying to convince you otherwise.

serious professional financial analyst covering a specific company goes a lot deeper into a company than just reading what a company publishes.
You mean like Enron ? Those type of serious professionals.

Please spare US the humor

Quote from the Wall Street Journal Feb.2002:

” Four prominent Wall Street analysts appeared before the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee today and defended their decisions to maintain "buy" ratings on Enron until close to the company's collapse. They said they had no way of knowing that the company was issuing deceptive financial statements.“
“serious professional analyst “

Their all in bed together. It happens everyday.

Excutives manipulate Wall Street everyday. Stock numbers are not an accurate gauge in the long run of a companies health.

Since 2000 52 % of the companies on Fortune 500 have failed . (bankrupt, ceased to exist or acquired )

Your clue word .
Active Inertia

Strategic frames sometimes become blinders. When executives set goals managers focus on to narrow of a window to attain the goal. example : obtaining a low o/r like a competitor / peer. They lose the broad picture in doing so .

Last edited:
Humor me? You obviously think you and "many of us", as you say, are privy to some nefarious inside "fudging" going on and that serious financial professionals are so naive that they only rely on quarterly numbers announced by the company and that they would be fooled by tiny dirt lot terminals. A serious professional financial analyst covering a specific company goes a lot deeper into a company than just reading what a company publishes. Many will even visit various company facilities to get first hand information. But think whatever you like, no sense trying to convince you otherwise.
Right. A lot of serious financial professionals on TB, following Tri. And right back at you.

I’ll add a perfect example of advertising to shareholders (you’re offended when we say “stock price”. DEI mgrs & programs. Who (or what) a company hires has zero affect on moving freight. One step further, check Anh Busch stock pre/post “woke”. That there’s funny, don’t care who you are.

Last edited:

” Four prominent Wall Street analysts appeared before the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee today and defended their decisions to maintain "buy" ratings on Enron until close to the company's collapse. They said they had no way of knowing that the company was issuing deceptive financial statements.“

Excutives manipulate Wall Street everyday. Stock numbers are not an accurate gauge in the long run of a companies health.

Since 2000 52 % of the companies on Fortune 500 have failed . (bankrupt, ceased to exist or acquired )

Your clue word .
Active Inertia

Strategic frames sometimes become blinders. When executives set goals managers focus on to narrow of a window to attain the goal. example : obtaining a low o/r like a competitor / peer. They lose the broad picture in doing so .
And a talking head on Fox Business couple days ago actually said the market only benefits the rich. The middle class is left behind.

Your clue word .
Active Inertia

Ah yes, bring up an anomaly from over 20 years ago to try and buttress your position. There are outlier situations everywhere in life - bad doctors, bad cops, bad teachers, bad accountants, bad lawyers, etc. That's not proof that the whole system is bad. In fact the Enron fiasco brought on good changes in the form of Sarbanes-Oxley regulations. But if you choose to go through life full of cynicism thinking that because there have been occasional bad actors it means everything is corrupt, that's your choice, go for it.

"The Sarbanes-Oxley Act, also known as the SOX Act, is a 2002 federal law that enacted a comprehensive reform of business financial practices. It put in place new standards for public accounting firms, corporate management, and corporate boards of directors at publicly held companies."

Ah yes, bring up an anomaly from over 20 years ago to try and buttress your position.
Ok, how about FTX , Theranos ….who was doing the due diligence? No one is saying most are bad. However there is incentive to cause harm to this day. Stuff does get by whether it’s by blind eye or shared negligence. Into this day, corporate executives gripe over Sarbanes-Oxley legistation

Ok, how about FTX , Theranos ….who was doing the due diligence? No one is saying most are bad. However there is incentive to cause harm to this day. Stuff does get by whether it’s by blind eye or shared negligence. Into this day, corporate executives gripe over Sarbanes-Oxley legistation
So I guess I'm as bad as those executives because I gripe over taxes and speed limits. :duh:

Status
Not open for further replies.