FedEx Freight | Pension 401k or portable pension

Which one are you choosing and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can pass on a 401k to your wife as well. Different revenue streams makes sense, but only if you're at the 6% on the pension or close to it.

"If they want me out of it I'm staying in". That's the most foolish argument in this decision. If FedEx wanted you out of it, they could just shut it down and let it build interest until you retire.

While I don't trust anything that comes from corporate, I don't go into everything expecting a hammer to drop. If FedEx said said "hey you can get Cadillac insurance or stay with UHC" you'd say "if FedEx wants me to leave UHC, I'm staying with UHC". Screwing yourself thinking your sticking it to the man.

Arguments like this make it really hard to get other employees on your side when the company does do something that affects you negatively. All people here is "rabble rabble rabble blah blah blah" because it's constant foolish arguments.

Do the math and make the best decision you can with the information you have.
In general your correct but they keep talking about it being cost effective for them and not what's best for you. My boss has been telling us for months the 401k is the way to go and now he said he thinks he's staying with the pension?? He was obviously told to push the 401 but after some research found out the facts. For what it's worth he is in his 30s.

Missing from this discussion is WHAT options a person chooses for the 401k.

I spoke to one guy, long term veteran, who ALWAYS puts 100% into the safest option. Always has, and will continue to. Stable Fund, I think it's called.

That guy should remain in current pension/401k option since it is equally safe, has a significantly BETTER return, AND equals a higher total contribution.

So, think it through. Not a one size fits all, cut and dry decision.
Another thing to consider is if you are already putting more in your 401k, like 10%, then you are already close to the 14% total with fedex match. In my opinion it then makes sense to keep the pension to have alternative revenue streams.

Anyone ever consider the non stop printing of money and the possibility of markets collapsing not just once but several times? It just doesn't feel like the old days with market corrections. Kinda feels like we're on the titanic ya know? I'm not an expert but thats not good for anyone and I would think that 401k would be hit harder in those situations. Just saying

By traditional standards, I have a little over 30 years before retirement and I've been at FedEx for 2 years. I'm hoping to retire in 20 years by investing in ETFs, my Roth IRA and my 401K.

It's on truckingboards now. Somebody will pull this up in 20 years and either compliment me or call me a liar. Time will tell.
What kind of ETFs do you invest in?

Let's face it! The company gonna do what's best for them an there investor. There just giving you the option to screw yourself. This way it doesn't look bad on them..

Different strokes for different folks. It's going to take over a decade for me to get to 4% on the pension plan. I'll just take the 8 now.
Anyone ever consider the non stop printing of money and the possibility of markets collapsing not just once but several times? It just doesn't feel like the old days with market corrections. Kinda feels like we're on the titanic ya know? I'm not an expert but thats not good for anyone and I would think that 401k would be hit harder in those situations. Just saying

With the raise history at FedEx, the pension contributions won't be worth as much. 80k today will be more valuable than 80k 5 years in the future. The 401k grows with the market. Regardless of how it looks right now, it always goes up.

What kind of ETFs do you invest in?

Vanguard, Charles Schwab, QQQ and SPY are what I'm buying now. Every Thursday I transfer whatever money is left over from my previous check into my second checking account that I use for my brokerage account and that's what I use to buy stocks and ETFs. I missed the boat on GME, I made a good amount on AMC but I'm too stubborn to let it go. Got caught up in being a diamond hand smh. I'm looking into precious metals, but I haven't found a dealer I trust that's in my current price range.

Vanguard, Charles Schwab, QQQ and SPY are what I'm buying now. Every Thursday I transfer whatever money is left over from my previous check into my second checking account that I use for my brokerage account and that's what I use to buy stocks and ETFs. I missed the boat on GME, I made a good amount on AMC but I'm too stubborn to let it go. Got caught up in being a diamond hand smh. I'm looking into precious metals, but I haven't found a dealer I trust that's in my current price range.
Ok. I invest in VTI,SCHD and VYM.

Does anyone know if 401k regulations and pension regulations are the same ? We know that Fedex can adjust the amount they can contribute to 401k but do they hav e to get approved through government regulators to change the pension

I'm looking into precious metals, but I haven't found a dealer I trust that's in my current price range.

Safe deposit box and a gun Buddy .
I use all the above and keep nothing
at home , we shoot first ,then ask ...

Does anyone know if 401k regulations and pension regulations are the same ? We know that Fedex can adjust the amount they can contribute to 401k but do they hav e to get approved through government regulators to change the pension

No need for the government. It's privately owned and voluntary. All they have to do is make sure the funds that are supposed to be available are available.

Safe deposit box and a gun Buddy .
I use all the above and keep nothing
at home , we shoot first ,then ask ...

I have the gun part more than covered :438:

Thanks Smoke. Appreciate you.

Yea !
Shakey they are on the top of the list I posted my friend .
They are really good . I go by spot price and always get
free shipping so it doesn't blow the deal . Look at the
https://www.rwmmint.com/collections/all
I bought some rare stuff from them . Honestly I love metals ,
the stuff from China could tighten quickly . Nobody should
take my advice it's just been a hobby all my life .

Iridium (Ir) look this one up .​

Last edited:
I bought Albemarle (ALB) at $58, today it closed at $182.
I sold at $128 a few months ago, it's a Lithium mine co.
Dumb me.