FedEx Freight | Post after post of how some hate this job, why do you stay?

buttnaked

TB Lurker
Credits
If I hated my job the way some people seem to, damn if I wouldn't find something else to do. Go ahead and make your little smart *** remarks. If you hate your job and everything around you, it may be You.

I don't understand it either, if I hated this place like some here I would quit and flip burgers before I would stay.

I like FEDEX and about the only thing I would change is the seniority policy here.

Af/fxf

I have been here over 15 years. I have made a very good living for my family.

Is this the best job I have ever had,YES.
Does this job suck sometimes,YES.
Do they like to play there little games, He!! YES.
Is there another company out there that doesnt play games,NO.

All you can do is go to work everyday(when there is work)and do the job they pay you to do to the best of (your ability)not there's, go home to your family.

I don't care where you go to work, there is always going to be that red shirt, SCM or whatever they want to call themselves, that there head is twice the size of there body, that are going to try to make up there own rules.
They never win in the long run.

OK, IM done now,:hysterical:
HAVE A NICE DAY:1036316054:

You have to have another job before you quit and that's not likely going to happen in this economy and some people will continue to hate it because they are stuck (can't afford to flip burgers) or just don't want to give up seniority and vacation time. I hated every minute of my start times at 2am all weekend long but I kept a positive attitude because of my kids and I needed to keep the job. Then FedEx bought us out. Change, change, change. Some change was good, some not so good. We were told no one would lose their job, then some of us did a year later. And now more are losing theirs too. I'm sure you're glad to still have a job but if you barely worked and the change affected you family like it has others, you would have the attitude you have towards the negativity. Anyway, isn't this a place where we can all come to vent our frustrations about work and give our opinions? I don't like what FedEx did to me and others I worked with and nor does the people I still work with like it. I don't like the fact the rules change as they see fit for the day to benefit them. I don't think it's right to force out a 20 year senior dock man and let a driver/dock work that has been there 6 months, but the 6 months is now more senior than the 20 years. If you think it's right, I just don't know what to tell you. Unless maybe you are one of the ones that think everything is okay because somehow it benefits you, even if it hurts someone else. Hopefully you are not one of those people, because I know the guys I work with opened their mouths when my full time position was eliminated even though it was going to somehow benefit them.

It has its goods and bads but the people that you work with ( dock & drivers & some supers ) are worth it . I was a driver and a very very thing that a driver does is take care of his dockworker and never talk bad about a driver or tell on a driver to a tm or om we talk within are selfs and also watch out for each other

You have to have another job before you quit and that's not likely going to happen in this economy and some people will continue to hate it because they are stuck (can't afford to flip burgers) or just don't want to give up seniority and vacation time. I hated every minute of my start times at 2am all weekend long but I kept a positive attitude because of my kids and I needed to keep the job. Then FedEx bought us out. Change, change, change. Some change was good, some not so good. We were told no one would lose their job, then some of us did a year later. And now more are losing theirs too. I'm sure you're glad to still have a job but if you barely worked and the change affected you family like it has others, you would have the attitude you have towards the negativity. Anyway, isn't this a place where we can all come to vent our frustrations about work and give our opinions? I don't like what FedEx did to me and others I worked with and nor does the people I still work with like it. I don't like the fact the rules change as they see fit for the day to benefit them. I don't think it's right to force out a 20 year senior dock man and let a driver/dock work that has been there 6 months, but the 6 months is now more senior than the 20 years. If you think it's right, I just don't know what to tell you. Unless maybe you are one of the ones that think everything is okay because somehow it benefits you, even if it hurts someone else. Hopefully you are not one of those people, because I know the guys I work with opened their mouths when my full time position was eliminated even though it was going to somehow benefit them.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, and I do feel for the people adversly affected by the changes and especially the ones that lost there job, BUT NO MAMA I WILL NEVER HAVE A NEGATIVE ADDITUDE. I was out of work for 19 months awaiting a kidney transplant, living on 50% of my pay, feeling like crap 20 out of 24 hours a day and I never had the attitude of some that I see on here and in my everyday life.

If I hated my job the way some people seem to, damn if I wouldn't find something else to do. Go ahead and make your little smart *** remarks. If you hate your job and everything around you, it may be You.

Not sure that YOU get it, Butt...

I don't see anyone posting that they HATE the job. I don't. In fact I really do enjoy "the job". It's the foolish BS that I hate. The changes (that come from some pencil pusher in a cubicle somewhere), that while they might look good on paper and increase the bottom line in the short run, in fact make us look bad to the customer... The customer who in fact make our paychecks possible. We are supposed to be the premium carrier who (in the past) offered service second to none, but at a premium price. Also, we in the past had a company who offered a premium work environment... Not just anyone could get on with this company, and there was a certain pride that came with having be hired here. It was the best of the best. REALLY it was... No question!

Now we are to a point where little by little that has changed. We're NOT the best premium service provider, second to none. Everyone has been squeezed (and pushed) to near the limit and service has suffered. The exception being road drivers, most of which have yet to feel the squeeze of doing more work in less time with constant scruitiny from management who themselves have been squeeze and pushed to do more.

I'm not knocking road drivers here(I used to run the road too), Just saying... So far the top 50% of road have yet to actually feel any of the pain... Yet. I'm good friends with many road guys and they're the only ones that at this point have very few complaints. The truck only goes soo, fast so they can't be expected to be any more productive. Also, they never have to face a regular customer who has to stay late waiting on a FedEx truck that pulls in late (or not at all).

Unless you've seen the decline first hand from the front line, you really just wouldn't understand. We used to be the best...Top to bottom, but we're not anymore, and it is indeed frustrating.

One last thing, to voice concerns is not always just complaining for complaining's sake. There have been many issues that warranted camplaining... Issues with maintainance, bald tires being run on city trucks/trailers, The infamous 1 MINUTE Idle, just to name a couple off the top of my head that were corrected because enough people raised concerns...In other words,COMPLAINED!

Oh yes, why stay at this job? Simple... in this job market... 2 words: Vacations and Seniority

It's easy to look at the bright side of someone else's issues when it doesn't effect you... Not yet anyway.

Sorry for the long winded post... Back to your regularly scheduled programing...

I don't see anyone posting that they HATE the job. I don't. In fact I really do enjoy "the job". It's the foolish BS that I hate. The changes (that come from some pencil pusher in a cubicle somewhere), that while they might look good on paper and increase the bottom like in the short run, in fact make us look bad to the customer... The customer who in fact make our paychecks possible. We are supposed to be the premium carrier who (in the past) offered service second to none, but at a premium price. Also, we in the past had a company who offered a premium work environment... Not just anyone could get on with this company, and there was a certain pride that came with having be hired here. It was the best of the best. REALLY it was... No question!

Now we are to a point where little by little that has changed. We're NOT the best premium service provider, second to none. Everyone has been squeezed (and pushed) to near the limit and service has suffered. The exception being road drivers, most of which have yet to feel the squeeze of doing more work in less time with constant scruitiny form management who themselves have been squeeze and pushed to do more.

I' not knocking road drivers here(I used to run the road too), Just saying... So far the top 50% of road have yet to actually feel any of the pain... Yet. I'm good friends with many road guys and they're the only ones that at this point have very few complaints. The truck only goes soo, fast so they can't be expected to be any more productive. Also, they never have to face a regular customer who has to stay late waiting on a FedEx truck that pulls in late (or not at all).

Unless you've seen the decline first hand from the front line, you really just wouldn't understand. We used to be the best...Top to bottom, but we're not anymore, and it is indeed frustrating.

One last thing, to voice concerns is not always just complaining for complaining's sake. There have been many issues that warranted camplaining... Issues with maintainance, bald tires being run on city trucks/trailers, The infamous 1 MINUTE Idle, just to name a couple off the top of my head that were corrected because enough people raised concerns...In other words,COMPLAINED!

Oh yes, why stay at this job? Simple... in this job market... 2 words: Vacations and Seniority

It's easy to look at the bright side of someone else's issues when it doesn't effect you... Not yet anyway.

Sorry for the long winded post... Back to your regularly scheduled programing...

Did you miss the part about me lying around for close to two years waiting for a kidney transplant. I've been through a hell of a lot worse than I see here and I kept a good attitude through it all. I've heard people say that expressing there discontent for this company is the reason for this forum. I don't think for a minute that that was the intention of the founder. How many post have we seen here where the guys said they had stopped posting here because of all the negativity. So don't try to feed me this bull sh*t about people using this forum to whine about everything under the sun. The people who do nothing but complain are running off a lot of the decent people who would like to use this forum to communicate with their fellow employees.

I don't see anyone posting that they HATE the job. I don't. In fact I really do enjoy "the job". It's the foolish BS that I hate. ..

Amen to that. I'm guessing that I'm among the ones you think is always "complaining". I thought this was a discussion forum. It'd be kinda boring if everyone logged in to say how freakin great their job was and Fedex rules.

Could it be worse? Yes. Guess what? It could be better and has been. I have enough self respect to take issue when I think I'm being taken advantage of. Fedex is doing things soley because they can. Many of the changes are not warranted. We are just powerless to stop them. Like the 1 min idle, the only hope we have is a united front. If enough people voice legitimate concerns there is a chance we can be heard.

I'm not quitting. This is still a good job. It's just not a great job. If you want to drag out your pom poms and lettermans sweater and cheerlead knock your self out. I am not so convinced anymore.

Amen to that. I'm guessing that I'm among the ones you think is always "complaining". I thought this was a discussion forum. It'd be kinda boring if everyone logged in to say how freakin great their job was and Fedex rules.

Could it be worse? Yes. Guess what? It could be better and has been. I have enough self respect to take issue when I think I'm being taken advantage of. Fedex is doing things soley because they can. Many of the changes are not warranted. We are just powerless to stop them. Like the 1 min idle, the only hope we have is a united front. If enough people voice legitimate concerns there is a chance we can be heard.

I'm not quitting. This is still a good job. It's just not a great job. If you want to drag out your pom poms and lettermans sweater and cheerlead knock your self out. I am not so convinced anymore.

I've heard people say that expressing there discontent for this company is the reason for this forum. I don't think for a minute that that was the intention of the founder. How many post have we seen here where the guys said they had stopped posting here because of all the negativity. So don't try to feed me this bull sh*t about people using this forum to whine about everything under the sun. The people who do nothing but complain are running off a lot of the decent people who would like to use this forum to communicate with their fellow employees.

not sure that you get it, butt...

I don't see anyone posting that they hate the job. I don't. In fact i really do enjoy "the job". It's the foolish bs that i hate. The changes (that come from some pencil pusher in a cubicle somewhere), that while they might look good on paper and increase the bottom line in the short run, in fact make us look bad to the customer... The customer who in fact make our paychecks possible. We are supposed to be the premium carrier who (in the past) offered service second to none, but at a premium price. Also, we in the past had a company who offered a premium work environment... Not just anyone could get on with this company, and there was a certain pride that came with having be hired here. It was the best of the best. Really it was... No question!

Now we are to a point where little by little that has changed. We're not the best premium service provider, second to none. Everyone has been squeezed (and pushed) to near the limit and service has suffered. The exception being road drivers, most of which have yet to feel the squeeze of doing more work in less time with constant scruitiny from management who themselves have been squeeze and pushed to do more.

I'm not knocking road drivers here(i used to run the road too), just saying... So far the top 50% of road have yet to actually feel any of the pain... Yet. I'm good friends with many road guys and they're the only ones that at this point have very few complaints. The truck only goes soo, fast so they can't be expected to be any more productive. Also, they never have to face a regular customer who has to stay late waiting on a fedex truck that pulls in late (or not at all).

Unless you've seen the decline first hand from the front line, you really just wouldn't understand. We used to be the best...top to bottom, but we're not anymore, and it is indeed frustrating.

One last thing, to voice concerns is not always just complaining for complaining's sake. There have been many issues that warranted camplaining... Issues with maintainance, bald tires being run on city trucks/trailers, the infamous 1 minute idle, just to name a couple off the top of my head that were corrected because enough people raised concerns...in other words,complained!

Oh yes, why stay at this job? Simple... In this job market... 2 words: Vacations and seniority

it's easy to look at the bright side of someone else's issues when it doesn't effect you... Not yet anyway.

:1036316054::1036316054::1036316054:

It's always nice to see people respond to these type post. The complainers and the people who are tired of hearing it. Which are you, think about it.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, and I do feel for the people adversly affected by the changes and especially the ones that lost there job, BUT NO MAMA I WILL NEVER HAVE A NEGATIVE ADDITUDE. I was out of work for 19 months awaiting a kidney transplant, living on 50% of my pay, feeling like crap 20 out of 24 hours a day and I never had the attitude of some that I see on here and in my everyday life.
I am sorry for what you had to endure and glad to hear it all worked out for you. I do try to stay positive in these tough times but I will continue to give my opinion on how FedEx is doing the workers wrong. The moral on the dock is low, the workers aren't happy the management isn't happy. How can you make moral better and get your people to do more with less? Stop the BS. I too like my job, I just don't like how we are treated. The dock is now more like a kindergarten class than a dock. Actually it's getting to be more like a consentration camp.
Now when you take your cold break, everyone has to take it at the same time. Next they will want you to hold hands to go sit on the toilet.

Don't confuse negativity with people that have been in this buisness for years, and might have some valid points that merrit some discusion.We do not work for a U**** company and have always had the understanding that we have a voice that was heard and respected.Now that our voices are not heard or respected. I think that a lot of what you see here are the frustrations of people that at one time truly loved there job and felt like a respected part of the team.Anyway I do agree that people are only hurting themselves if they only focus on the negitives.

most of the posts of people ranting are about parts of there job , not the whole thing we all have great jobs - but it sucks hooking triples in the rain while 3 yard dogs are in the corner of the yard hiding and talking about the weekend

Lets keep in mind some people just like to cry.:Violin: It's just there nature? We have many Road driver that complain about everything.There are some city drivers.but i ran line haul for another company before working in the city at fed.So if i had to hear it id rather hear it from a city driver.I work 3 times as hard at the same time making almost 3 times as less.( keeping in mind fedex is good at keeping us at 40 hrs).(No overtime).But road drivers i see make road runs,then go get on the dock.Even when some line haul drivers were sitting at the house!!! So some(very few) have a good reason to complain.Greed is why America is in the shape it's in.And i don't have to leave work to see some of it.P.S i like my job and i like the city drivers and dock people i work with.As far as road drivers there the one's that you need to be directing this post to.For the record (THE TRUCKS ALL OF US DRIVE BELONG TO FEDEX).:hysterical:

buttnaked

I see that you have seen the light of life .... made it through .... and thankful for it

Its hard to get a bad attutiude when your still on the right side of the grass.

It's always nice to see people respond to these type post. The complainers and the people who are tired of hearing it. Which are you, think about it.

Let go back to your original post, Butt. The post that started this thread

Now then, Several people have gone out of their way to explain to you the fact that we don't HATE our job, but would like to discuss issues that need to be addressed.

The thing is, you don't really want it explained... or discussed, Do you? You seem to enjoy turning it around and making it about you and all the suffering you've endured, while maintaining your wonderfully positive attitude. To the point where it seems to be all about who's got the Better,MORE POSITIVE ATTITUDE. Mine better than yours/NO mines better, etc.

Who are you trying to convince that your attitude is great, us or yourself?

Now go back and read (again) your first post in this thread. This line specificly:
Go ahead and make your little smart *** remarks.

And instead of YOU making "little smart *** remarks" and complaining, offer some real positive suggestions... Other than blindly following and trusting the purple promise.

Now THAT would be a breath of fresh air :1036316054:

:popcorn:

Well I know where I stand on that one. Nobody's denying anyones right to be vocal about issues. I can get pretty overkill when it comes to voicing my disdain for them. I reckon it's just built up over the years and I just get tired of it all. In reality, some of these folks are the nicest guys I know, and it really grates me to see them sometimes stoop down to that level, where others around them just roll their eyes when they go off on a rant. It's just that for me it gets to a breaking point when you watch and listen to the same small group of workers that always complain about EVERYTHING, (you can make book on it) And then on top of it, they're the ones draggin' butt! That's a fact. They are the ones that cause us to have to deal with the upper management pep talks and be treated like school kids in meetings. I'll give some of them props on sometimes making good points though, but in the end they are like Chicken Little and seen as such.

I don't understand it either, if I hated this place like some here I would quit and flip burgers before I would stay.

I like FEDEX and about the only thing I would change is the seniority policy here.

Say it ain't so!! First I've heard of it... :hide:

FM :smilie_132: