XPO | put in app today and was asked to come back tomorrow

Well good luck. Conway is a good company has some downfalls and don't think you will get a bid right away it takes time. But do your job and you will be ok.

let me tell you this:

your first year or 2, get used to driving a forklift 90% of the time and a truck 10% of the time. Develop your forklift skills and be a great loader. Dont ever think you wont ever do a hand freight type breakout. Expect to work 14 hour days (70 hour weeks) for quite some time. This job isnt for everybody. In these tough times, think about how many ppl out there who cant pay their bills or feed their family wish they could work 14 hours a day for $20 an hour and bring home $1400 plus a week.

I always tell discouraged/tired drivers i bump into:

"would you rather be tired or hungry?"

of course dont show it too much, as bankrupt and others will tell you, this is exactly the type of work ethic that con-way loves, and seeing as we have it "so good" they will find more ways to cut back our total compesation. I was actually told this once by a fellow driver. Quit looking so satisfied and doing your best all the time, because our management will think we have it too easy. and have a reason to cut us back some more.

Let me give you the same advice I got when I hired on at Con-Way. Give the company 2 1/2 years minimum, before you entertain the idea of quitting. There were a lot of times that I wanted to walk away from this job my first year. It seemed to get a little better after the 2 1/2 year mark, and I'm glad I decided to stay.

let me tell you this:

your first year or 2, get used to driving a forklift 90% of the time and a truck 10% of the time. Develop your forklift skills and be a great loader. Dont ever think you wont ever do a hand freight type breakout. Expect to work 14 hour days (70 hour weeks) for quite some time. This job isnt for everybody. In these tough times, think about how many ppl out there who cant pay their bills or feed their family wish they could work 14 hours a day for $20 an hour and bring home $1400 plus a week.

I always tell discouraged/tired drivers i bump into:

"would you rather be tired or hungry?"

of course dont show it too much, as bankrupt and others will tell you, this is exactly the type of work ethic that con-way loves, and seeing as we have it "so good" they will find more ways to cut back our total compesation. I was actually told this once by a fellow driver. Quit looking so satisfied and doing your best all the time, because our management will think we have it too easy. and have a reason to cut us back some more.

first off dont let this scare you conway is a great company to work for depending where your getting hired on at will determine how many hours you work and if your running linehaul or working the dock

also depends on if your day flex or night flex
and you just starting out wont bring home 1400 weekly because you dont start at 20 hour that also depends what part of the country your in

the only thing is that as a new guy you will have to prove yourself before anybody takes you serious(sorry if i spelled that wrong) because of the high turn over and he is right about one thing this job is not for everybody seen guys walk in and walk out the first day

but stick it out you will enjoy the job and make good friends
if you are a peopl person because you will see more of conway than your own family m - f

pm me if you have any questions im in the midwest because if you post on the board people give thier own opinions then the truth:shift:

first off dont let this scare you conway is a great company to work for depending where your getting hired on at will determine how many hours you work and if your running linehaul or working the dock

also depends on if your day flex or night flex
and you just starting out wont bring home 1400 weekly because you dont start at 20 hour that also depends what part of the country your in

the only thing is that as a new guy you will have to prove yourself before anybody takes you serious(sorry if i spelled that wrong) because of the high turn over and he is right about one thing this job is not for everybody seen guys walk in and walk out the first day

but stick it out you will enjoy the job and make good friends
if you are a peopl person because you will see more of conway than your own family m - f

pm me if you have any questions im in the midwest because if you post on the board people give thier own opinions then the truth:shift:

sorry if i came out negative, i wasnt trying to scare him. This is a good company to work for, scratch that, a great company to work for.

i think what i told him is better than sugar coating it. he'll expect the worst and it wont be so bad. if you sugar coat it hell expect the gravy train but instead...(cant think of a good analogy right now....just came off a linerun)

my first 5 months at conway i worked 70 hours a week and if that trend continued i would have made 90k that year. Being on the extra board i got bumped to city and not much overtime came my way. i still made around 50-55k my first year at conway.

if your willing to work, and can make fun out of a cross dock ltl operation THIS IS The JOB FOR YOU!

when i first started what i would do is challenge myself or a co-worker who was up for it. Lets see who can do the most breakouts tonight, or the most reweighs, etcc....

made the time go unbelievably faster. it was fun seeing the other guy down to his last row in his breakout and your rushing to beat him... and then at the end of the night you argue about "but i got hand freight" "but you picked up the 2 biller" etc...:biglaugh:

im used to bustin my hump,i give 100 percent on any job i take on.the n. aug service center was hands down the cleanest trucking facility i have ever seen.i was told id be linehaul for awhile anyway im very happy to be part of the conway family now.if i sound enthusiastic.....i am

im used to bustin my hump,i give 100 percent on any job i take on.the n. aug service center was hands down the cleanest trucking facility i have ever seen.i was told id be linehaul for awhile anyway im very happy to be part of the conway family now.if i sound enthusiastic.....i am

Line-haul = a full wallet.

Good attitude benbai.Good luck on the blue kool-aide.Its refreshing to hear people proud of their employment and employer..

i am proud as punch,im the kind that is very loyal to whomever is payin the bills.its not my place to secondguess or question i do as im told.maybe uncle sam had something to do with that

The day you start if there is more than one person that starts that day make sure you punch first for seniority.

Unfortunately, that won't work. It's based on application date and some other factors. Anyway, good luck. It sounds like you have a great attitude. Make sure you ask for help, there are a bunch of really good people that are more than willing to assist. If you run into a jerk, ask the next guy! Welcome!

thanks all.this forum is addictive

I agree! Throw in a few bucks and get a signature, too! I don't know where I would be without my John "Hannibal" Smith signature. Just that alone is worth the membership!

Anyway, I too applied at Con Way in Neville Island and Irwin, PA. So far I have heard nothing.

The ad showed where you email an application to whomever....I did. I also went to the terminal in Neville Island to fill out an application. So far, I have heard nothing.:ranting2:

I agree! Throw in a few bucks and get a signature, too! I don't know where I would be without my John "Hannibal" Smith signature. Just that alone is worth the membership!

Anyway, I too applied at Con Way in Neville Island and Irwin, PA. So far I have heard nothing.

The ad showed where you email an application to whomever....I did. I also went to the terminal in Neville Island to fill out an application. So far, I have heard nothing.:ranting2:

Call them. Let them know you applied. Ask the SCM or the personnel supervisor if they got your application

Call them. Let them know you applied. Ask the SCM or the personnel supervisor if they got your application

Yes indeed I have done that. I went to the terminal, asked for the terminal manager (who wouldn't see me)...Asked if I had a class A. Communicating through the dispatcher, he turns and says "yes he does." TM told him (to tell me) to fill out an application. Dispatcher told him I did. TM said "We're not doing anything right now."

Several people have told me they ARE hiring in Neville Island and need another driver....Irwin had an ad on Hot Jobs....I am getting frustrated and very impatient......I want to work, damn it!:furious:

sigpic3805_1.gif
moz-screenshot.jpg

The cleavage is always up for debate and has been commented on by the crystal palace.
My postings are of my own opinion and does not represent the opinion of my employer, any company affiliated with my employer, any other company and the Owner of truckingboards.com

Up for debate?

Somebody might say " Ohhh, those are too big!"