XPO | Putting Management Under The Microscope

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Like they say: Knowledge is Power.
Learn the verbage, rhetoric or not so common language prior to reading those "K" statements etc.
It's hard to know which companies to trust. Despite a succession of reform legislation, corporate misdeeds still go on. And while it is very difficult for investors to know if a company is cooking the books until it's too late, they don't have to be completely in the dark about questionable management activities and dealings.

There is plenty of accessible valuable information that provides warning signs that executives may not be acting in the best interest of shareholders. This article will show some of the signs of dubious goings-on found in publicly available documents.

Putting Management Under The Microscope

Say you just bought stock in Con-way (NYSE:CNW). As a part owner of the company does this mean you and the family can fly the black helicopters for free this summer? Why is it that Con-way Freight (NYSE:CNW) shareholders don't get too drive the race car each quarter? (Forget the dividends!) Although these perks are highly unlikely, they do raise a good question: what rights and privileges do shareholders have?

Knowing Your Rights As A Shareholder

Hip-Hip

DW- I love your style. If only the people would have open there eyes a few years ago and really given there brain some fresh air, there would be no need for them to worry if they were going to have a job this week or next. But hey, what do a couple of dumb jomoke truck drivers know anyways? You know me with my chicken little mind set, the sky is falling and all that stuff. I do wish you and anyone else that will stand up and try to improve the state of affairs that the company is in, the best. I mean the people at CON-WAY, not your company. Keep up the good work. :USA::USA::USA::USA:

DW- I love your style. If only the people would have open there eyes a few years ago and really given there brain some fresh air, there would be no need for them to worry if they were going to have a job this week or next. But hey, what do a couple of dumb jomoke truck drivers know anyways? You know me with my chicken little mind set, the sky is falling and all that stuff. I do wish you and anyone else that will stand up and try to improve the state of affairs that the company is in, the best. I mean the people at CON-WAY, not your company. Keep up the good work. :USA::USA::USA::USA:

Thanks Law,
I have a vested interest in Con-way. I don't want to see them fail.
The big player LTL's need each other to feed off each other and keep "one upping" to improve.

Those "K" "Q" statements have always been questionable material for the average reader. Some understand it, some just give up on it.
It really does pay to learn how to read those statements and understand where a companies state of affairs are heading.

As with anything, it's tough at first but it gets easier as you keep reading and learning.
I thought those links would help even the newbie understand what's going on in their company. (That's what truckingboards is for)

I want to publicly thank a certain member for bringing the first link to my attention. Thank you masked man!

I've seen it but never thought about posting it. After the Quarter 4 announcement with many companies, now was the time to bring it to the worker bees attention and give them the opportunity to broaden their horizons.

Now this is as easy as it gets. Start reading this stuff and learn.

Thanks for these postings DW.

Another good tool is the annual schedule 14a report that has to be filed with the SEC. It is filed in April of each year and breaks down the compensation packages of the company executives and the board of directors of the company stock. A disadvantage of it is that it is only posted once a year, but with it and the quarterly reports, you can spot trends in the company that we as employees and stockholders need to be aware of.

Here is a link to Conway's latest Schedule 14a Report Filed April 22, 2008 at their annual Shareholders meeting.

It's a little long and dry for most of us "commoners", but is filled with a lot of good information. As of matter of fact here is a link to find this report on all publicly traded companies Security and Exchange Commisions IDEA website.

I feel that a well informed employee is an asset to the company that he or she works for. Whereas some executives feel the opposite, they fear well informed employees. Hmmmm I wonder why?

It's about time that big corporate execs. started being payed based on performance, instead of just getting fat cat salaries fron the get go.If most big co execs had to perform the way that most of the blue collars do they'd go crawling home to mommy. But, there are plenty of blue collar sissies also.Suck it up and do whatever it takes to support your family and act like a man.When you are done taking care of your responsibilities [raiseing and supporting your children], then you can go home and whine like a little baby.

It's about time that big corporate execs. started being payed based on performance, instead of just getting fat cat salaries fron the get go.If most big co execs had to perform the way that most of the blue collars do they'd go crawling home to mommy. But, there are plenty of blue collar sissies also.Suck it up and do whatever it takes to support your family and act like a man.When you are done taking care of your responsibilities [raiseing and supporting your children], then you can go home and whine like a little baby.

So, you would be ok with "everyone" being paid by performance at Con-way..??

I would agree with you on that. There are somedays that the only reason why I go into work is because I love my family more than I hate work.

Absolutely positively

Performance pay is so subjective. A good job in one persons eyes is a p*** poor job in someone elses. So who gets to decide how much you get paid based on your performance?
Just a thought. Peace :rockon:

Less than you think

How many shares do we " employees" own in comparision to the amount major shareholders own? Lets say more shares are needed to sway a vote, which side do you think has the assets to "buy" the outcome? Gloom ? doom? Nope just a good look at how things are!
All you need is 1% of the employees to give you proxy over there shares to force the board to put your recommendations on the proxy to be voted on by everyone. It is called a minority trigger. With the amount of people that have left already, all you need is 1,970 people to go along with you. Big things do come in small packages.:USA::USA::USA::USA: