XPO | Quarterly report

Yes, we will....it's the interim without him that I hate...especially while I am hiring...

When your buying decisions are based soley on price then that is exactly what you get...price.

Your 50K/day customer evidently thought their business was important enough that Con-Way would meet the price offered by our competitors. It didn't happen.

What these people don't recognize (and to a point maybe it is a good thing) is the level of customer service they don't see. Those things that go on in the background they have absolutely have no awareness of.

The absolute level of service we provide can't be matched by the other two...the CSRs who fix probs the customer knows nothing about...the FOSs that constantly keep up on what their needs are at any given point in the day.

These are things they have become accustomed to and think all carriers operate in the same way...but they don't.

Our problem is we make it look too easy. We are so damned good at what we do we make it look effortless...quite a quandary!

Rat

Hey box correct me if I am wrong. You should have the e-mail. $49mill profit and operated at 92 percent. 35mill of the 49 from the cuts

You're correct. Originally it was the 401K, but they were looking for preferences. Hopefully, we'll get one of them back. Personally, I'd like the 401K.

Yea I have to agree with you on that one
In a way I think it would be better to give back the 5% , then let people do with it what they want. If they want to sink it into the market they can do that. If they want to invest it in something other than the Con-Way plan they could do that. OR if they needed the money in their pocket for now they could do that. For once I wish they would let us have a choice on something. With things being the way they are , different people have different needs right now. :shift:

Your thinking is accurate, but YRC isn't using the concessions to keep market share by lowering rates...everyone has some big discounts out there right now for special customers, but I know we aren't playing price wars with anyone right now...I just said goodbye to a 50,000 lb a day customer because Saia and Old Dominion came in at what would have been the equivalent of a 91% discount...we had drawn the line at 83%...customer was really upset to lose us as his carrier (National Account) and couldn't believe we weren't willing to stretch for him...I told him to give me a call when he figured out how to discount HIS products at 91% and still make a profit..

YRC would be shooting themselves in the foot and defeating the whole process of the concessions by using them to lower rates...Even Zollars is aware of that..They need to be paying down debt with that money, nothing else..

But box that bothers me......they are willing to give 83% discounts.....but took from us....Iam sorry but let these dicount carriers have the cheap freight....i mean if they want conway service...and the service is good hell better than good they should pay for it....I truely believe that conways arrogance started this downhill fall...when i first started here i couldnt believe how they talked to the customers...it was like they felt they needed us more than we needed them.....Ive worked for a few companys and never have seen anything like it....and dont you feel that instead of doing all this hiring to pull this discounted frieght that we should of held steady on the pricing and got back to what made conway number 1.....customer service

I've seen the numbers.....47 million profit... o/r 92.5%...then the bullshit. 33 million of the 47 came from the cut backs in march. So in other words we only made 14 million. I find that VERY hard to believe with the amount of freight I move on a nightly basis. What is the BOD's doing with the money?:ranting2::Flame-On::eck13:

But box that bothers me......they are willing to give 83% discounts.....but took from us....Iam sorry but let these dicount carriers have the cheap freight....i mean if they want conway service...and the service is good hell better than good they should pay for it....I truely believe that conways arrogance started this downhill fall...when i first started here i couldnt believe how they talked to the customers...it was like they felt they needed us more than we needed them.....Ive worked for a few companys and never have seen anything like it....and dont you feel that instead of doing all this hiring to pull this discounted frieght that we should of held steady on the pricing and got back to what made conway number 1.....customer service

That theory would hold true in good economic times, and we are far far removed from that...This is a 2 sided issue, and there are those here who would yell just as loud if we were letting this business slip away to our competitors over a few discount points, so it's a no-win situation...everyone wants price breaks right now, the question is how far you are willing to go...I would rather keep my employees at this point than to have to watch one more person head for the unemployment line in this economy..

I agree with not wanting to lay anyone off. But hauling for 17c on the dollar just doesn't make any sense to me

That is not what an 83% discount means, technically...in our terms, it is an 83% discount off our current tariff, and companies have different tariffs..That is all I will say about this in public..

I will say this about tariffs that most people don't understand. Every year the tariff goes up and every year the discounts get larger for the most part. Here is a example in simple numbers.

In 1983 the tariff is $1.00 with no discount and the increase is 7% making the 1983 tariff $1.07., but we give a 5% discount making the 1983 net tariff $1.02 .

In 1984 there is a 7% increase making the 1984 tariff $1.14 (1.07 plus .0749) and we give a additional 5% discount (10% total) making the net 1984 tariff $1.03 ( in round numbers)

This continues year over year until you are where we are today with a , for example $10.00 a mile tariff discounted in the 80 and 90% range.

Someone can correct me if I'm off base here.

I will say this about tariffs that most people don't understand. Every year the tariff goes up and every year the discounts get larger for the most part. Here is a example in simple numbers.

In 1983 the tariff is $1.00 with no discount and the increase is 7% making the 1983 tariff $1.07., but we give a 5% discount making the 1983 net tariff $1.02 .

In 1984 there is a 7% increase making the 1984 tariff $1.14 (1.07 plus .0749) and we give a additional 5% discount (10% total) making the net 1984 tariff $1.03 ( in round numbers)

This continues year over year until you are where we are today with a , for example $10.00 a mile tariff discounted in the 80 and 90% range.

Someone can correct me if I'm off base here.

Essentially, you are correct, and every company's base rates on their tariffs are different..

Essentially, you are correct, and every company's base rates on their tariffs are different..

Exactly, so my 83% discount may be $3.oo per mile and your exact same 83% discount might be $3.65 a mile all depending on each individual companies current tariff. (rates)

Exactly, so my 83% discount may be $3.oo per mile and your exact same 83% discount might be $3.65 a mile all depending on each individual companies current tariff. (rates)

Yep...so when you and I are selling against each other, that is why you win the business even though we are both offering up an 83...I may have to go 88 to match your 83...