XPO | Question for Quick Learner

imported_roadrage

TB Regular
Credits
I would like to thank You for comming here and being a good Con-Way Rep. from higher up:1036316054: It does mean alot to me and many other Dsr's.

My question is in regards to safety. On my left sleeve of my uniform i have a patch that states: Con-Way Freight safety Professional. I have no doubt that higher ups on down feel the need to be just that with no exception!
why are there policies such as first in first out even if a Senior driver makes his/her run time? The other night i made my run time by ONE HOUR AND THREE MINUTES early and a fellow Dsr cut his pre Trip etc. to beat me and another Dsr to the FAC in a truck that has yet to be turned down! I lost approx. $100 because i simply do my job and keep my mouth shut. This is not the only time this has happened to me and other Dsr's. I feel as if these types of policies are encouraging unsafe habits and contradicting to say the least.
I go to several FAC's that can not close down in time even with me busting my butt all night. I'am constantly hurrying to hook etc. once i finally get off the dock in order to make it within my alloted 14 hour tour. This is not safe and only a accident waiting to happen and may end up with a preventable accident and a dsr loing His/Her job or LIFE. When i told my TM about this His only response was "you better not run out of hours" When he left out of the room another Dsr stated He would leave you sitting if you had empties for punsihment. What is our recourse to these matters?

Thanks, for your response

I would like to thank You for comming here and being a good Con-Way Rep. from higher up:1036316054: It does mean alot to me and many other Dsr's.

My question is in regards to safety. On my left sleeve of my uniform i have a patch that states: Con-Way Freight safety Professional. I have no doubt that higher ups on down feel the need to be just that with no exception!
why are there policies such as first in first out even if a Senior driver makes his/her run time? The other night i made my run time by ONE HOUR AND THREE MINUTES early and a fellow Dsr cut his pre Trip etc. to beat me and another Dsr to the FAC in a truck that has yet to be turned down! I lost approx. $100 because i simply do my job and keep my mouth shut. This is not the only time this has happened to me and other Dsr's. I feel as if these types of policies are encouraging unsafe habits and contradicting to say the least.
I go to several FAC's that can not close down in time even with me busting my butt all night. I'am constantly hurrying to hook etc. once i finally get off the dock in order to make it within my alloted 14 hour tour. This is not safe and only a accident waiting to happen and may end up with a preventable accident and a dsr loing His/Her job or LIFE. When i told my TM about this His only response was "you better not run out of hours" When he left out of the room another Dsr stated He would leave you sitting if you had empties for punsihment. What is our recourse to these matters?

Although I am on the management team, and I am more than willing to be the company representative, I am not in a service center. Therefore, I do not understand the decisions that a TM faces on a daily basis. However, I am close to many TMs, former TMs and experts in service center management. I will give you my best college try at answering the questions, but if you would like, I can ask the experts what the company line is regarding your issue. I’m sure they have an answer that would make your head spin (from nausea?).

My best guess: Operations, in any industry, is a balance between production and everything else that management adds as an initiative. First and foremost, the TM has pressure to produce quantitative results to show his value. Then (as part of a performance review) improve on those results. In English: Do it faster/more efficiently now.

Second comes all of the extras that a manager must do. This includes safety, paper work, personnel issues (hire, fire, coach, etc.), reporting, meetings, training, and more. TMs are told that Safety must rank high, but without production the TM has no job and Con-way has no money. So production will always be number one. Safety cannot earn money. It can help us avoid lawsuits that lose money. However, the lawsuits are paid by money from production. So ultimately, the TM is being pressured from several sides, but production will always be the number one priority. Fail a safety inspection; naughty boy! Fail to produce; pink slip! This is true in any industry for any manager. I realize that his sends mixed messages to employees. When we say Safety is number one, we mean after the business needs are met.

Your Recourse: I think you did the right thing to bring the safety issue to the attention of the TM. He may not have handled it properly and I’m sure I could dream up a thousands excuses as to why. The next step in my opinion would be to put it in writing. Most managers know that verbal conversations are like a vapor. Once they are gone it is hard to prove they were ever there. When written, whether e-mail or typed, it becomes a tangible issue. It sits on a manager’s desk and stares at him, begging for his attention. Most managers also know that copies could exist. That would be the next step in my opinion. Send a copy a few weeks later to the TM’s boss or to the Safety Manager requesting assistance. This tends to prompt action. The next time you let the TM know something verbally; he may even take another approach; knowing the path you will take each time. :hide:

This is just my opinion but I hope that it is helpful.

Bravo! IMHO, That has got to be one of the best replies I have ever read on the "Trials and Tribulations" of a TM.

Can we clone you?

Although I am on the management team, and I am more than willing to be the company representative, I am not in a service center. Therefore, I do not understand the decisions that a TM faces on a daily basis. However, I am close to many TMs, former TMs and experts in service center management. I will give you my best college try at answering the questions, but if you would like, I can ask the experts what the company line is regarding your issue. I’m sure they have an answer that would make your head spin (from nausea?).

My best guess: Operations, in any industry, is a balance between production and everything else that management adds as an initiative. First and foremost, the TM has pressure to produce quantitative results to show his value. Then (as part of a performance review) improve on those results. In English: Do it faster/more efficiently now.

Second comes all of the extras that a manager must do. This includes safety, paper work, personnel issues (hire, fire, coach, etc.), reporting, meetings, training, and more. TMs are told that Safety must rank high, but without production the TM has no job and Con-way has no money. So production will always be number one. Safety cannot earn money. It can help us avoid lawsuits that lose money. However, the lawsuits are paid by money from production. So ultimately, the TM is being pressured from several sides, but production will always be the number one priority. Fail a safety inspection; naughty boy! Fail to produce; pink slip! This is true in any industry for any manager. I realize that his sends mixed messages to employees. When we say Safety is number one, we mean after the business needs are met.

Your Recourse: I think you did the right thing to bring the safety issue to the attention of the TM. He may not have handled it properly and I’m sure I could dream up a thousands excuses as to why. The next step in my opinion would be to put it in writing. Most managers know that verbal conversations are like a vapor. Once they are gone it is hard to prove they were ever there. When written, whether e-mail or typed, it becomes a tangible issue. It sits on a manager’s desk and stares at him, begging for his attention. Most managers also know that copies could exist. That would be the next step in my opinion. Send a copy a few weeks later to the TM’s boss or to the Safety Manager requesting assistance. This tends to prompt action. The next time you let the TM know something verbally; he may even take another approach; knowing the path you will take each time. :hide:

It's good to have you here, maybe now we can see what makes mgmt tick. Keep up the good work here and take what you read here as a learning experience. I did work for ConWay for 11 years the company seemed to be changing in my opinion for the worse. So take what you read here and use it to help better the company maybe you're influence can bring about a meaningful dialogue between the drivers and upper management. The company can once again be a great place to work as it was when I was there but only if the high brass will actually listen to the people that make it work every day. Have a good day.:1036316054:

Nice job with the informative post.

Thank you.

Lucid and straight forward answer, but I seriously doubt that One Conway would publicly endorse it, regardless its accuracy.

What's in a name?

Thanks everyone. I am here to learn. Thus the name. I have visited several service centers and even spent a few days with drivers. However, I know these are the drivers that the RM and TM wanted me to talk to. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I believe in the truckingboard motto “When you want to know what’s going on.” I figure that I can help you with a few company issues and you can help me understand the trials of a driver. I also believe, and tell others, that as a support manager, I am a leach. I get my paycheck because you guys and gals are out there busting your butts. The company is doing well so I know I have many to thank for that. I did not need to meet a driver to know we have great ones. All I can do is learn and support in the best way possible. The quicker I learn the environment, the better support I can provide. Good luck and keep up the great work. :1036316054:

Thanks everyone. I am here to learn. Thus the name. I have visited several service centers and even spent a few days with drivers. However, I know these are the drivers that the RM and TM wanted me to talk to. I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I believe in the truckingboard motto “When you want to know what’s going on.” I figure that I can help you with a few company issues and you can help me understand the trials of a driver. I also believe, and tell others, that as a support manager, I am a leach. I get my paycheck because you guys and gals are out there busting your butts. The company is doing well so I know I have many to thank for that. I did not need to meet a driver to know we have great ones. All I can do is learn and support in the best way possible. The quicker I learn the environment, the better support I can provide. Good luck and keep up the great work. :1036316054:

So why dont you just drop in randomly at terminals and then YOU pick who you want to talk to...ask the TM and RM to go have a meeting and you will be there in a few minutes or whatever.

It has always humored me to see our TM jump through the hoops in preparation for a big shot to come through...paint and all (everyone knows what I am talking about), why do they do this? Why dont they just drop in and say hello...why have it all rehearsed? Find where the problems/issues are so as they can be corrected versus the facade they always encounter...keep the planned visits as those do keep the upkeep on the terminals...

At XHR we have no one monitoring the outside unless someone big is coming through...I got hurt hooking a set on an empty line which is on an angle...the empties should be back like 10 feet and the TM has received many complaints about it and yet doesnt do anything to enforce it...so when he isnt looking (which is usually never) the empties are right back where they were waiting for someone else to get hurt...our dollies are normally just dropped wherever in the general spot on the yard with no one saying anything contrary to it, sometimes as far out into the parking lot as 10-20 feet waiting to be hit...it is simply amazing at our terminal...that is with a TM, 3 FOS's and 2 AE's...and no one pays no attention to anything in the yard...

So why dont you just drop in randomly at terminals and then YOU pick who you want to talk to...ask the TM and RM to go have a meeting and you will be there in a few minutes or whatever.

It has always humored me to see our TM jump through the hoops in preparation for a big shot to come through...paint and all (everyone knows what I am talking about), why do they do this? Why dont they just drop in and say hello...why have it all rehearsed? Find where the problems/issues are so as they can be corrected versus the facade they always encounter...keep the planned visits as those do keep the upkeep on the terminals...

At XHR we have no one monitoring the outside unless someone big is coming through...I got hurt hooking a set on an empty line which is on an angle...the empties should be back like 10 feet and the TM has received many complaints about it and yet doesnt do anything to enforce it...so when he isnt looking (which is usually never) the empties are right back where they were waiting for someone else to get hurt...our dollies are normally just dropped wherever in the general spot on the yard with no one saying anything contrary to it, sometimes as far out into the parking lot as 10-20 feet waiting to be hit...it is simply amazing at our terminal...that is with a TM, 3 FOS's and 2 AE's...and no one pays no attention to anything in the yard...

Oh and this isnt simply to pick on XHR either...I can only assume there are worse terminals then ours in the system...just an example of what no notice visits can and usually do prevent...i recall about 2 years ago one time when i did a via through the XEE (South Boston) terminal on a saturday morning...there was some older guy in jeans walking around the doors/dock...i asked him what he was doing as it was rather odd...he turned out to be the XEE TM just dropping by to see what was going on...that was great as far as I thought.

Q-L:

"THEY" pick and chose who (driver) you talk to? In that case you won't ever get to talk to my driver but knowing him he'd let ya know what's what in front of everyone. Back in the beginning, CSW, he was brought up to Dallas to be asked how to make the company a better one and had the ear of the then president of the company.

How things have changed. Many good drivers on here that need to be listened to, you've picked a good board to read. :1036316054:

Dog and Pony show~

I'm going to jump in here and shout out to the walls, as that seems to be just as effective as what CCXdude is talking about here. I'm not shy and frequently speak my mind when I see something that is obviously wrong and needs to be "Righted".
Last week a Pride review was conducted at both XMP and XTM. On monday night when I walked on the dock at MP, it was exceptionally clean. There was much less freight sitting on the dock, and the sector FOS' were robotic and obsequiosly "professional". It made me sick to see the area TM's there trying to see what was wrong with the operation, and the "show" that was being put on. Facade is exactly the right word. I immediately tracked down a few of the TM's that I know and told them this isn't the way it normally is, that they were having the same game played with them that they play when the Big cheese comes to visit.
How about a surprize inspection or just drop in "out of the blue". Announcing the proposed visit just doesn't make sense, it's like wiping before you poop! (Larry the cable guy).
Hey you bad guys in the house selling drugs......we're coming to serve a warrant on thursday at 4 p.m. .........you might want to rake the yard and buy some donuts!
I'm done.

I'm going to jump in here and shout out to the walls, as that seems to be just as effective as what CCXdude is talking about here. I'm not shy and frequently speak my mind when I see something that is obviously wrong and needs to be "Righted".
Last week a Pride review was conducted at both XMP and XTM. On monday night when I walked on the dock at MP, it was exceptionally clean. There was much less freight sitting on the dock, and the sector FOS' were robotic and obsequiosly "professional". It made me sick to see the area TM's there trying to see what was wrong with the operation, and the "show" that was being put on. Facade is exactly the right word. I immediately tracked down a few of the TM's that I know and told them this isn't the way it normally is, that they were having the same game played with them that they play when the Big cheese comes to visit.
How about a surprize inspection or just drop in "out of the blue". Announcing the proposed visit just doesn't make sense, it's like wiping before you poop! (Larry the cable guy).
Hey you bad guys in the house selling drugs......we're coming to serve a warrant on thursday at 4 p.m. .........you might want to rake the yard and buy some donuts!
I'm done.

Thanks for the advice. There is only one small issue that I am concerned about. I do not want to make the TMs angry, nor do I have the need to catch them with their shorts at their ankles. That is why I call first. Maybe after I get to know them better I can show up unannounced without peeing in someone cereal. Until then, I guess I get the VIP treatment.

You speak of policy, it seems fac's have their own policies, some its first dispatch, some its first in, some its senority if you make your arrive time, some nobody leaves until the dock work is done. By the way how could you beat your arrive time by 1hr 3min?

Thanks for the advice. There is only one small issue that I am concerned about. I do not want to make the TMs angry, nor do I have the need to catch them with their shorts at their ankles. That is why I call first. Maybe after I get to know them better I can show up unannounced without peeing in someone cereal. Until then, I guess I get the VIP treatment.

Umm...not to rock your personal boat here...but those TM's know exactly what their jobs are...if they are unable to do their known duties...replace them...that would only benefit the "big picture" as conway likes to say...

catching them with their pants in the ankles should be a plus...that is what supervision is about...you cannot correct a problem if you chose to remain ignorant to it...you have to identify the problem and the early heads up PRIDE's, audits, etc are not correcting anything...

maybe i am missing something here...as a leader i was always taught that if someone has to do my job for me...then i shall not have a job...that went down the chain...if i have to do your job for you...then i will seek out one who can do the job instead of you...cold and brutal...but we are a company with the goal of making money and therefore the weak links have to be removed...

attitudes like this are very prevalant within the company...i do not get it at all...everyone is hired to do a job if they cannot do that job they need to move on to a job they can handle...carrying the dead weights is a heavy thing to continuously do...

You speak of policy, it seems fac's have their own policies, some its first dispatch, some its first in, some its senority if you make your arrive time, some nobody leaves until the dock work is done. By the way how could you beat your arrive time by 1hr 3min?

They have their own policies until it is identified to XGO and then corrected...

Policies

One thing many people here do not realize, or do realize but get caught up in their anger is simple...with regards to the 3 seperate companies we once were...every terminal has to follow the same rule...there is no rule for terminal x and a different rule for terminal y...eventually that will be made over into the entire company (a one conway)...uniformity is a must and the company knows it...enforcing it is a nightmare...it is what happens when you hire managers who dont want to "pee in someones cereal"...so to say.

Umm...not to rock your personal boat here...but those TM's know exactly what their jobs are...if they are unable to do their known duties...replace them...that would only benefit the "big picture" as conway likes to say...

catching them with their pants in the ankles should be a plus...that is what supervision is about...you cannot correct a problem if you chose to remain ignorant to it...you have to identify the problem and the early heads up PRIDE's, audits, etc are not correcting anything...

maybe i am missing something here...as a leader i was always taught that if someone has to do my job for me...then i shall not have a job...that went down the chain...if i have to do your job for you...then i will seek out one who can do the job instead of you...cold and brutal...but we are a company with the goal of making money and therefore the weak links have to be removed...

attitudes like this are very prevalant within the company...i do not get it at all...everyone is hired to do a job if they cannot do that job they need to move on to a job they can handle...carrying the dead weights is a heavy thing to continuously do...

I would agree with you, if I supervised them. However, I am not over them and cannot replace them. Therefore I do not care about catching them doing anything wrong. Their boss should find a way to monitor their performance. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my employees. I would pass any issues I see along to their boss, but it is not a personal goal to catch them and turn them in.

I would agree with you, if I supervised them. However, I am not over them and cannot replace them. Therefore I do not care about catching them doing anything wrong. Their boss should find a way to monitor their performance. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my employees. I would pass any issues I see along to their boss, but it is not a personal goal to catch them and turn them in.

I see...you're in a different type of management position. My error.