TForce | Question for safety trainers

BusterNite

TB Legend
Credits
I would like you guy's to do some research as to why we are still fighting the old "O" routine when it comes to rear drive tires in the winter time. I am sick of begging for new tires every winter. I have called the safety dept. many times regarding this. And they feel that they are well within the DOT regulations by keeping the tires on untill they reach 4/32" Well thats fine if you are in a state where it does not snow. Yes there is some tread left. But not enough to be driving in the snow safely. These tires could be used for dolly's and trailers. Is this part of the new safety program. I think not. Safety is still a joke in this company. Yes, they preach safety and then it ends there. I am big on safety. I would not even think about being part of this safety training program. How embarrasing, What a joke! We will take the chance of Injury or killing someone and the very expensive results of equiptment and freight damage, But what the heck, We got 5000 more miles out of those tires.

Ditto, I couldn't agree more. It's not only the snow, it's the rain too. I know, just slow down and drive safely. I do. They only way I was lucky enough to get a new set was to have a flat on the drives. They had to be matched.It's a joke. They preach safety. My last two services, I have two pages of things needing to be fixed. They just changed the fluids. Leo's vision. Sorry, Gordons vision. Or who's vision. Remember Valerie trucking on the east coast, fenders flapping in the wind with duct tape.

It's pathetic. Bailing wire, duct tape and a years worth of dirt.......priceless. My truck went in to get painted. This week I've driven 17 series junks. The sad part about it is that most of the problems these trucks have are ignored and the problems with these trucks have mushroomed. If Buster Brown wants to become a respectable ltl carrier, they should invest in real mechanics and shops. Not to mention a real washing program/schedule. I thought they don't want bad publicity? When truck parts are falling off going down the road, or your trailer leaks like Niagra Falls, it tells the shipping public we don't have a clue or/and care!! The sadder part of this is the investment into new equipment. No maintenance already and it shows. Same"O", Same "O". UPS better step up to the plate and take hold of the situation or we will be the brown and gray "O".

Actualy UPS is very serious about safety.
If you feel that you have any safety issue in your judgment as a driver,you need to discuss this with your TM.
The TM,s are well awear of how UPS wants all their operation to be safe.

Its really not the old Overnite anymore.
One prevenable accident can erase a very large amount of revenue from hauling tons of freight.

If you as a driver feel that your going to be unsafe with any equipment you should put it out of service untill its made safe.
If you go out with an unsafe unit,and you have an accident will your TM be at fault for telling you to go with it?
No we know that the blame will fall on us as drivers for running equipment we knew wasn't safe.
Everything to do with our jobs as drivers has to do with our own judgement.
If we feel something isn't safe we should not do it.
The bottom line is any negative out come will belong to a poor judgement call everytime.

We have an outside vendor come in and service our equipment. In our junkyard they have been using the tractors that are out of service for parts. Robbing Peter and paying Paul. I had to drive a tractor today that just had been out of service for missing shackle blots while it was out of service they took the driver side spot mirror off to put it on another tractor. I had to drive the tractor today without a spot mirror. The right rear axel seal is bad and leaking and was in for service and still not fixed. Management told me it was safe to drive and the parts were on order. DOT stopped me today and they let me slide. We are having 2 or 3 breakdowns a day and at least 1 or 2 road calls a day. The wrecker has been in there just about every day this week hauling our junk. My regular tractor has been at another service center for 6 weeks for PM and still shows unavailable. When the equipment comes back from PM it is in worse shape that what it was in before it went to another service center for PM. We have about 6 vans in the yard that is out of service. The outside mechanic told us that they have to get approval form Richmond to fix the equipment.

We call our outside vendor/mechanic, Mr. No-Wrench. Doesn't show when its raining, or any earlier than 9am and is gone by 2pm. Though he does come with the power of duct tape, bailing wire and of coarse, coffee!! Evidentally the safety program is a superficial joke because we still let unsafe equipment go down the road. I should know, I got to drive 4 of them this week!!

Actualy UPS is very serious about safety.
If you feel that you have any safety issue in your judgment as a driver,you need to discuss this with your TM.
The TM,s are well awear of how UPS wants all their operation to be safe.

Its really not the old Overnite anymore.
One prevenable accident can erase a very large amount of revenue from hauling tons of freight.

If you as a driver feel that your going to be unsafe with any equipment you should put it out of service untill its made safe.
If you go out with an unsafe unit,and you have an accident will your TM be at fault for telling you to go with it?
No we know that the blame will fall on us as drivers for running equipment we knew wasn't safe.
Everything to do with our jobs as drivers has to do with our own judgement.
If we feel something isn't safe we should not do it.
The bottom line is any negative out come will belong to a poor judgement call everytime.

Apo. You don't understand, You can talk to anyone you want untill your blue in the face. NO ONE CARES ABOUT SAFETY. Untill someone gets hurt or untill it costs the company money period!

Putting a deadline tag on is a joke. the city guys just rip it off and take it. You can't talk to anyone, it's just lip service. They may tell that they heard you, but they don't care. It's their numbers they are interested in. I have over 500,000 mile on the original shocks. That's really giving the customer's product a smooth ride.If they really cared about moving the customer's freight, why isn't it being moved tonight? Here it is the last work day before Xmas, and that freight will sit till Tuesday. If I were a shipper, I would be calling someone else. I guess the bean counters figured they are saving a few cents buy paying today as a holiday but screwing the customer buy not having our road guys work. This is pathetic. And before you whinners critisize me, let me tell you that I have been here for mostly 20 years, a good employee, safe, and I have never seen it this bad, even when Uncle Leo came unboard.

Putting a deadline tag on is a joke. the city guys just rip it off and take it. You can't talk to anyone, it's just lip service. They may tell that they heard you, but they don't care. It's their numbers they are interested in. I have over 500,000 mile on the original shocks. That's really giving the customer's product a smooth ride.If they really cared about moving the customer's freight, why isn't it being moved tonight? Here it is the last work day before Xmas, and that freight will sit till Tuesday. If I were a shipper, I would be calling someone else. I guess the bean counters figured they are saving a few cents buy paying today as a holiday but screwing the customer buy not having our road guys work. This is pathetic. And before you whinners critisize me, let me tell you that I have been here for mostly 20 years, a good employee, safe, and I have never seen it this bad, even when Uncle Leo came unboard.

You know I am starting to see that this is not just an MC thing that all of us is seeing changes and crap that either just plain suck or make absolutely no sense.

And why is it that all these other companies that are relatively the same size running new equipment? FedEX, Central Transport, USF, OD.....Hell we even make those bad union carriers look good. ( that is a joke and not meant to russle any feathers).

You know I am starting to see that this is not just an MC thing that all of us is seeing changes and crap that either just plain suck or make absolutely no sense.

And why is it that all these other companies that are relatively the same size running new equipment? FedEX, Central Transport, USF, OD.....Hell we even make those bad union carriers look good. ( that is a joke and not meant to russle any feathers).

Don't worry, Soon our new brown duct tape will arive. This will have a new extra adhesive so it will stick on to the rust better.:hysterical:

I heard that there was a terminal in the North that took a dock worker to get his cdl. And that he was failed 3 times. Two times he was failed because the DOT officer giving the test, Deadlined the equiptment and would not allow the equiptment to leave with out a tow truck pulling it. Now this is SAD!!!!!But really tells the whole story.

Antique Roadshow

True as the sky is blue!! I know the dock hand. The older equipment should go onto the Antique Roadshow. I could see that episode now with the anouncer saying.....We haven't seen that style tractor on the road since the late nineties. What's that? You have trailers even older than that!!! Well thats amazing!! Plus having thousands in that condition and you say there still.....ugrrrr running? The use of duct tape and bailing wire is creative!! Though I find it odd no other large fleet would even dream of assembling such a large....ugrrrr collection as you have and keep them in operation. But I guess its kind of like the USS Contitution, (Old Ironside) still concidered a active wartime vessel, surrounded by a modern ammada. But trying to put a value on your... ugrrrr collection is difficult. I think you would be better off at a scrap metal collector for an accurate appraisal.

It's pathetic. Bailing wire, duct tape and a years worth of dirt.......priceless. My truck went in to get painted. This week I've driven 17 series junks. The sad part about it is that most of the problems these trucks have are ignored and the problems with these trucks have mushroomed. If Buster Brown wants to become a respectable ltl carrier, they should invest in real mechanics and shops. Not to mention a real washing program/schedule. I thought they don't want bad publicity? When truck parts are falling off going down the road, or your trailer leaks like Niagra Falls, it tells the shipping public we don't have a clue or/and care!! The sadder part of this is the investment into new equipment. No maintenance already and it shows. Same"O", Same "O". UPS better step up to the plate and take hold of the situation or we will be the brown and gray "O".

Hug,I have to stand up for our mechanics ! Overnite has some very talented wrenches floating around. Alot of times it is the Fleet Services Department that holds up repairs. This department is not in Richmond,but Charlotte. The guys who are in charge of Fleet Services are not even Mechanics...They are old Union Pacific Bean Counters...Yep that's the truth. Left over jokers from the railroad. I surely would have thought that Brown would have gotten rid of them by now.

Well I've read all of your negative posts on this safety question thread.
You all know me by my many anti-company posts since I've been a truckingboard member back in April of this year.
You may not be able to believe your eyes this time.
We are not the old Overnite anymore with their cheap way of operating.
Ups is slowly taking us under their trucking wings.
Its a long process,not something thats happing overnight(NO Pun Intended)
I along with my local co-workers thought that UPS was going to magicly put everything in order when we were rebranded.
We are a very big LTL trucking company,with many backward ways of operating.
You all must admit you are seeing changes,here,and there.
As far as safety,Overnite does have a way of letting things get by them.
But UPS is really trying to make our company safe.
They put a lot of money into sending us safety trainers to be safety certifide.
We are to be the eyes of our terminals to make sure all the safety issues that UPS wants to be in place will be.
We are to make sure we instruct our co-workers on UPS's safety plan which is greater than the old Overnite ways,of getting the job done,and not thinking if its safe or not.
Like I say this all takes time.
We are still seeing old Overnite unsafe practises,but before long things will be worked out for the better,we've just got to hang in there.
If your equipment isn't safe to operate in your opinion write up an out of service tag,and dead line it untill its safe to go.
If you know someone took the tag off without fixing anything.
Go to your TM first,than to your safety trainer.
We have the phone numbers for our regonial heads of safety.
Believe me the UPS way is safety first.
They've got me thinking that this is what UPS wants,so I'm going to believe them,untill I see something different.
Remember the bigger the company the more difficulties,and the longer it takes to fix them.

Hug,I have to stand up for our mechanics ! Overnite has some very talented wrenches floating around. Alot of times it is the Fleet Services Department that holds up repairs. This department is not in Richmond,but Charlotte. The guys who are in charge of Fleet Services are not even Mechanics...They are old Union Pacific Bean Counters...Yep that's the truth. Left over jokers from the railroad. I surely would have thought that Brown would have gotten rid of them by now.
OK MB, it's a fact that we do have qualified mechanics in the system. I have first hand seen quality workmanship. But that is where things get very muddled. We are an end line terminal. We also have a vendor, called Mr. No-Wrench. He puts band-aids on everything and says it's fine. Eventually it gets hauled to a major shop, they paint a bumper, never look at the problem and send it back. I also know fleet services can't suck enough. But someone somewhere has to take some pride in there job and do it right the first time. I guarantee if we were an airline, we'd be grounded.

OK MB, it's a fact that we do have qualified mechanics in the system. I have first hand seen quality workmanship. But that is where things get very muddled. We are an end line terminal. We also have a vendor, called Mr. No-Wrench. He puts band-aids on everything and says it's fine. Eventually it gets hauled to a major shop, they paint a bumper, never look at the problem and send it back. I also know fleet services can't suck enough. But someone somewhere has to take some pride in there job and do it right the first time. I guarantee if we were an airline, we'd be grounded.

I am well aware of our vendor problems ! Those guys stink most of the time. Band-Aid is not the word for it !

I am well aware of our vendor problems ! Those guys stink most of the time. Band-Aid is not the word for it !

I am sorry but most of this equipment is beyond any band-aids or wonder mechanics....You know the eskimos put there old on an ice berg to let them die with dignity....Maybe the same law of the land should apply from O 28 series to the O 26200 series and MC 28500 to 281400 series......